Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by telemark27
I stand corrected!

yep, you said it better than I did, this was my understanding as well.
I am thoroughly confused now

Will booking UA metal flight on LH Ticket and crediting to UA MP with a 220 ticket number and LH code share flight number count towards GS?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
As a CEO I would NEVER allow that expense for a flight -- especially for myself - there's just no way it is justifiable....
As the CEO of your business, its fine to make that statement. But hard to say that there is no way a $32K flight isn’t justifiable for another business when you don’t know what that business is or what the dynamics are. I certainly see scenarios in my line of work where $32K to fly to a meeting would be money very well spent.

Note, the most expensive flight I ever took was $21K (though a companion originating at a different US city spent $25K). And that was J.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Stopwatch430
As the CEO of your business, its fine to make that statement. But hard to say that there is no way a $32K flight isn’t justifiable for another business when you don’t know what that business is or what the dynamics are. I certainly see scenarios in my line of work where $32K to fly to a meeting would be money very well spent.

Note, the most expensive flight I ever took was $21K (though a companion originating at a different US city spent $25K). And that was J.
Slippery slope argument. I’ve seen it many times.

Yes, $32K trip - in a vacuum - can be justified given ROI on results of the trip.

The question I would ask as that person’s manager: What, if any, were your alternatives? I can’t imagine $32K would be cheapest alternative anywhere.

If it was, then ok (if it couldn’t have been achieved remotely).

But unlikely $32K was the responsible choice.
small ring likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am a 1k considering a Plus Pass.

In regards to the Pluspass purchase for $50k which also gets you GS status, I have some questions:

1, do purchasers of PP get any discount on fares?
2. How long is the 50k credit valid for?
3. Can it be used for family members
Re #3, you can use the funds for a +1 who is traveling with you on the same PNR.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Slippery slope argument. I’ve seen it many times.

Yes, $32K trip - in a vacuum - can be justified given ROI on results of the trip.

The question I would ask as that person’s manager: What, if any, were your alternatives? I can’t imagine $32K would be cheapest alternative anywhere.

If it was, then ok (if it couldn’t have been achieved remotely).

But unlikely $32K was the responsible choice.
This makes no sense at all. If you are going somewhere to negotiate a multimillion (or even more extremely multibillion) dollar deal, whether you pay $32K or $3K for a plane ticket is meaningless. FlyerTalkers love to play vicarious CEO of everyone else's employer!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
This makes no sense at all. If you are going somewhere to negotiate a multimillion (or even more extremely multibillion) dollar deal, whether you pay $32K or $3K for a plane ticket is meaningless. FlyerTalkers love to play vicarious CEO of everyone else's employer!
And I guess you don’t recognize the non-binary part of the equation(s). Both on the success (rare) and cost (comparative) sides!

No offense, but I’m assuming you don’t work in licensing/M&A. Or for a publicly traded company!
telemark27 likes this.

Last edited by tcdtcd; Sep 23, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:55 am

Agent Incompetence, Round 75

Simple ask—I booked an award ticket for me +1 when the one way award was 31k (H fare). Dropped to S and got it re-fared to 24k. Now available in T (T=4)

first agent— I don’t think you can open saver availability after you’ve already booked at a higher level. Let me check with my supervisor. and then proceeded to tell me that “there wasn’t much T availability, so unlikely to be able to help” Click…huca

second agent—I said I’m sick of the faux GS agents. she said she’s been here a year, and “I know how to do this” and then, nearly immediately “hold on, let me get my help desk to do it.” Currently on hold…will report back in my next post on what moronic answer I get on this

Last edited by johnsmith; Sep 25, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:09 pm

Resolution

After a very long hold (>15 min) agent came back and said they could do saver at 15k miles. Success…surprising
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:31 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnsmith
After a very long hold (>15 min) agent came back and said they could do saver at 15k miles. Success…surprising
It really shouldn't be this hard.

The GS station manager at ORD found me before boarding my flight to SFO last week and did one of the "thanks for getting back to flying with us" things. I took the opportunity to (calmly) mention that I've moved 50% of my travel to AA because of service failures and that I was finding CK much better than GS across the board but especially in CS interactions. They asked me for a few examples, which I provided, and they literally noted "yeah, we can't do any of those things given rules/guidance". I just smiled and said "oh, I know, that's why I've moved 50% of my travel to AA..."
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by johnsmith
Simple ask—I booked an award ticket for me +1 when the one way award was 31k (H fare). Dropped to S and got it re-fared to 24k. Now available in T (T=4)

first agent— I don’t think you can open saver availability after you’ve already booked at a higher level. Let me check with my supervisor. and then proceeded to tell me that “there wasn’t much T availability, so unlikely to be able to help” Click…huca

second agent—I said I’m sick of the faux GS agents. she said she’s been here a year, and “I know how to do this” and then, nearly immediately “hold on, let me get my help desk to do it.” Currently on hold…will report back in my next post on what moronic answer I get on this
I did something similar back in August prior to a personal trip along with Mrs. Augustus and two friends which I had booked back in March. Got my favorite GS agent, JL, and she rebooked my wife's GS companion ticket AND my friends at a lower mileage cost without issue. Saved me around 175,000 miles.

I just hang up now when I know the person on the line is not an actual GS agent, it's too much trouble to train them on the benefits and what is permissible or not.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Just had kind of an annoying experience with GS.

12 days ago I booked IAH-FRA-(LH)-DEL-ORD-CLE in J for Oct 7-14. Used PPs to waitlist FRA-DEL on LH to F. 40 PPs deducted.

Today I had to switch the return to BOM, so basically just added a Vistara leg from BOM to DEL but otherwise prior segments remained intact. Nevertheless, got one of the dreaded "your ticket must be reissued" notices. So I call GS.

Agent says "Well first let's clear out the [LH] waitlist, because you've cleared." Wow, I thought, this is great! But the cynic in me was also suspicious that this must be too good to be true. After a few minutes while still waiting on agent to confirm I had already paid the $3 fare differential, I checked the LH app and noticed that I was still booked in J and that the F waitlist had vanished. I then told the GS agent that it looked like she had cleared out my LH F waitlist. She said "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you had waitlisted for J and that it had already cleared, isn't O business class on Lufthansa?" I said "No, I think that's a fare code for F. I guess I will have to go back and re-apply the PPs. Will I get the prior PPs back?" To which she said "They don't deduct them until they clear." Here again my inner cynic seemed to think that this was not the case for LH, but I let it go, hung up, then re-applied the PPs.

I'm back on the waitlist, except now I have 80 PPs deducted instead of 40 (put differently, it seems I've had 40 PPs deducted on two different occasions for the same flight). At this point I do not want to call back and try to get 40 PPs immediately credited because I don't want to mess up the reservation any further. Maybe it will fix itself.

I guess what I have lost at this point is the extra 12 days of upgrade priority (if LH uses that as a tie-breaker), and the risk that if it clears I may lose 80 PPs instead of 40 (but would rather battle later to get those back in the happy event of an upgrade).

This agent seemed otherwise competent and knowledgeable, but she whiffed on this one and I should have gone with my instincts and intervened sooner.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
New interpretation of SDC

The ongoing saga of GS deterioration and incompetent agents continue. I was booked XXX- ORD-IAD-FRA with the ticket booked on United (016) and IAD -FRA leg as United codeshare operated by LH, all in business/polaris. Within 24 hrs called for SDC as ORD-FRA direct had availability. The first agent said no can't do it as the routing needs to be the same, meaning you cant fly direct, you have to follow the original routing. HUCA, second agent said no can't do it as it involved LH even if it is united code share. I said I don't believe this, can I speak with a supervisor. After few minutes hold, a rude supervisor comes on the line, no pleasantries exchanged, simply said " What you are trying to do is not allowed. I have 30 years experience as an agent. Do you have any other questions?". Frustrated, I gave up, checked in online, called up again in few hours. The third agent said " I could have done it but now you have checked in with LH and for me to book you, you will have to call LH, have them uncheck you, then I can change your flights". WTH....so at this point, I am resigned to the fact that I will be flying my original route.

I get to XXX airport, flight is boarded, we are headed to the runway and the captain comes online and says ground stop at Chicago. We will head back to the gate as it will be at least one hour before we take off. We get off the plane, the gate agent starts rebooking people. I would have missed the only ORD - IAD flt of the day, so I call up GS, ORD-FRA was showing 2 open seats in polaris. The agent says there is no availability. I say not true, it is J2. She says I cant book you. I said yes you can. She says there are 2 seats but they are being held. I said You need to call Chicago, have them release the seat for you to put me in one of those seats. In the meantime, i sarcasticslly ask if I am talking to GS agent. She then said she can put me in economy if I am willing to downgrade. We search multiple routes but nothing was working out,so I say fine put me in economy. She puts me on hold, after few minutes comes back and says I have some good news for you. I am able to put you in polaris. WTH again.
In the end it all worked out but it should not be this hard and United should really beashamed for the support it is giving its GS customers these days.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Originally Posted by akhibhag
The ongoing saga of GS deterioration and incompetent agents continue. I was booked XXX- ORD-IAD-FRA with the ticket booked on United (016) and IAD -FRA leg as United codeshare operated by LH, all in business/polaris. Within 24 hrs called for SDC as ORD-FRA direct had availability. The first agent said no can't do it as the routing needs to be the same, meaning you cant fly direct, you have to follow the original routing. HUCA, second agent said no can't do it as it involved LH even if it is united code share. I said I don't believe this, can I speak with a supervisor. After few minutes hold, a rude supervisor comes on the line, no pleasantries exchanged, simply said " What you are trying to do is not allowed. I have 30 years experience as an agent. Do you have any other questions?". Frustrated, I gave up, checked in online, called up again in few hours. The third agent said " I could have done it but now you have checked in with LH and for me to book you, you will have to call LH, have them uncheck you, then I can change your flights". WTH....so at this point, I am resigned to the fact that I will be flying my original route.

I get to XXX airport, flight is boarded, we are headed to the runway and the captain comes online and says ground stop at Chicago. We will head back to the gate as it will be at least one hour before we take off. We get off the plane, the gate agent starts rebooking people. I would have missed the only ORD - IAD flt of the day, so I call up GS, ORD-FRA was showing 2 open seats in polaris. The agent says there is no availability. I say not true, it is J2. She says I cant book you. I said yes you can. She says there are 2 seats but they are being held. I said You need to call Chicago, have them release the seat for you to put me in one of those seats. In the meantime, i sarcasticslly ask if I am talking to GS agent. She then said she can put me in economy if I am willing to downgrade. We search multiple routes but nothing was working out,so I say fine put me in economy. She puts me on hold, after few minutes comes back and says I have some good news for you. I am able to put you in polaris. WTH again.
In the end it all worked out but it should not be this hard and United should really beashamed for the support it is giving its GS customers these days.
Just wow.
Asking you to fly Y on a paid J ticket on a flight that has open J seats.
I’d say that’s wrong for any customer, let alone a GS.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Gate45
Just wow.
Asking you to fly Y on a paid J ticket on a flight that has open J seats.
I’d say that’s wrong for any customer, let alone a GS.
Welcome to Kirbyland -- this is not a training issue -- this is the new normal. I've been posting this for months and it's why we've left UA -- GS isn't at all what it used to be and Kirby could care less -- his job is to appease shareholders and has never tried to find a way to serve customers and shareholders at the same time -- that's why he's never spent more than a few years running an airline lol - eventually you have to do both - and Kirby can't - because to be honest - he just doesn't care about premium customers at all -- and if you review his record - this is abundantly clear.....
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Welcome to Kirbyland -- this is not a training issue -- this is the new normal. I've been posting this for months and it's why we've left UA -- GS isn't at all what it used to be and Kirby could care less -- his job is to appease shareholders and has never tried to find a way to serve customers and shareholders at the same time -- that's why he's never spent more than a few years running an airline lol - eventually you have to do both - and Kirby can't - because to be honest - he just doesn't care about premium customers at all -- and if you review his record - this is abundantly clear.....
Given the current stock price, is there anything he's doing well?
limey1K likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.