Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by limey1K
Wow, you've actually met him! I always assumed his mythical status was due to the fact that nobody has ever actually met him. How cool! Is hIs 3B is seat?
Nope -- he was -- at least back then -- a 1A type of guy on the 777... You can search the site here and find out much about him -- my personal interactions with him are nothing but positive -- he's a unique man and that's fine with me....
SPN Lifer, limey1K and LIH like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 23, 2022 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by limey1K
What a strange turn of events! There are three other seats in that row yet they decide to move a LT GS to accommodate this person? Surely there was someone else they could have inconvenienced before you? Maybe this guy has a thing about 3B being "his" seat? Whatever the case, it sure doesn't send the right message to you.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's also possible that they chose the person who was upgraded the night before, rather than inconveniencing someone who had bought F weeks ago.

Or it was all random.
I don't mine being asked. But my problem is, I wasn't asked. I was told that there is a change of my seat assignment and handled a new boarding pass. It was after I pushed back that I got my original seat.

Based on reading the flight status and seat maps earlier, the person assigned to 1B most likely paid $125 for a TOD after I was upgraded.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:57 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I'm very dour on GS, but wanted to report a modestly positive experience (I just got my AA CK notification a week ago so maybe I'm just high on my exit route). Flying ex-ORD today, showed up to the gate at my customary 90 seconds before boarding is supposed to begin and there was a GS agent waiting to thank me for my business. I was travelling with my toddler and she came back on board 10 minutes later to bring her one of the kiddo packets that they have. Anything to distract a 3 year old for an extra 2 minutes, so I appreciated it.

One thing I have noticed with CK on AA is that something like 75% of the hub flights have a CK agent who is looking for CKs at the gate. Flying a ORD <> CLT day trip yesterday I saw this on both the 5:30 AM ORD departure as well as the 8:12PM CLT return. The agent at CLT hung with us two CKs for ~30 minutes while we waited for crew connections. Super nice, very informative, and literally told us he wouldn't leave us until he was sure our bird was going. Just night and day.

Last edited by LIH; Aug 23, 2022 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I don't mine being asked. But my problem is, I wasn't asked. I was told that there is a change of my seat assignment and handled a new boarding pass. It was after I pushed back that I got my original seat.

Based on reading the flight status and seat maps earlier, the person assigned to 1B most likely paid $125 for a TOD after I was upgraded.
My guess - likely someone at UA messed up and gave them a seat they shouldn't have -- and they were trying to smooth it over without causing any more drama....
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:40 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Just boarded flight to Red Stick IAH BTR and gate agent did not even mention global services, after military she just called 1K and thanked them for their loyalty. I actually said to her that she missed Global Services and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Sigh...
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Just boarded flight to Red Stick IAH BTR and gate agent did not even mention global services, after military she just called 1K and thanked them for their loyalty. I actually said to her that she missed Global Services and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Sigh...

A quote from the movie “No Home For Old Men” comes to mind: “When you stopped hearing sir and ma’am, the rest was soon to follow”.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Nope -- he was -- at least back then -- a 1A type of guy on the 777... You can search the site here and find out much about him -- my personal interactions with him are nothing but positive -- he's a unique man and that's fine with me....
Like Mr. Pillows, I am a 1A guy too. That way I never have to remember where my seat is. I only wish I had been there for this epic Mr. Pillows event:

Mr Pillows Gets the Boot

Having reached 2MM, I probably won't try for 3MM or 4MM. So I have three remaining frequent-flyer ambitions:

1) Meet Mr. Pillows
2) Meet bmwe92fan
3) Meet UA1_flyer
artvandalay, limey1K and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Just another check to see what people are experiencing for pushing through upgrades at T<72:

Myself and Mrs Limey are 2 and 3 on the PP upgrade waitlist (as per the phone agent), J is showing as 9, agent said can't process our upgrades unless waitlist #1 calls in and requests the upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
#1 has already requested the upgrade by applying the PPs!😡 Just upgrade him/her and move on to Mr/Mrs Limey! Still 6 seats left, well within guidelines.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
#1 has already requested the upgrade by applying the PPs!😡 Just upgrade him/her and move on to Mr/Mrs Limey! Still 6 seats left, well within guidelines.
Yep, wouldn' that be too easy! The agent explicitly said before I even had chance to point this out that despite the request, Waitlist #1 still needed to call in or the upgrade had to be done at the gate.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Yep, wouldn' that be too easy! The agent explicitly said before I even had chance to point this out that despite the request, Waitlist #1 still needed to call in or the upgrade had to be done at the gate.
Hey, why upgrade a GS when you might be able to TOD those seats?
Dyce and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
This says all you need to know about United customer service and how it feels about its best customers. Strange business model.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
@FlyingHoustonian - from what I have experienced, it is not unusual for GAs to mess up the boarding order (despite the large display behind them) and to not know what GS is ... sigh.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:57 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
@FlyingHoustonian - from what I have experienced, it is not unusual for GAs to mess up the boarding order (despite the large display behind them) and to not know what GS is ... sigh.
Absolutely, it seems to be getting worse, not better in my experience. I emailed GS (did not ask nor expect compensation, just as a note to them on this negative trend item) and get a very fast, to be fair, yet "Safe" reply on the issue. This is my 3rd time out of my last five flights GS either was not called, or called AFTER 1k. Probably my 5th time out of last dozen trips the last month as well.

Maybe it is my training as a pilot and focus on checklists, but again, how hard is it to follow a basic checklist, at a major hub no less? Oh well, rant over...
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I just had an interesting experience call with the GS #. Six minute wait but I think I ended up with a legacy GS agent. I purchased a one-way J ticket from Mexico to US and called to open up Saver Business Award space for Mrs. Limey1K. Agent was very pleasant and began the process during which, she asked me for the date or PNR of the USA-Mexico tickets. I asked her why that was relevant and she said she wanted to see what was done with tickets heading down to Mexico before she opened the Saver Award on the OW return.. I told her that I booked two MP award tickets for the USA-Mexico leg, applied PPs and both were waitlisted, She said "ok, as long as you didn't force anything in that direction, I can open award space on the way back".
uanj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.