Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 4, 22, 3:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: st530
Wiki Link
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 28, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work, but if it were me I would play it safe and make two separate calls.
Great idea. I didnt even think about that!! I was too absorbed in the details and the fact we need to jump through hoops lately
Old Jul 30, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat
So, just did some upgrades of my wife (I'm in paid J, she's economy award + my PP) and the GS desk agent told me that they're starting to look at people that book one way tickets doing this and cancelling if there's more than one segment in a "trip." She said they're cross referenced automatically and someone will remove one of the upgrades if it's over 1 segment. Has anyone actually seen this? This seems like a more punitive type of enforcement that UA doesn't really do outside of fraud, but I'm curious.
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.9MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium) Elite
Can someone remind me, the T-72 forced upgrade only works for the GS member (and companion/s on same flight), correct? I have a friend who's #1 on EWR-NRT on 2 August using my PP, currently flight is booked 42/50 (1 blocked). Assuming I can't use the T-72 to force him through (I'm not on the flight), I'm sure UA will upgrade him an hour or less before the flight, thereby precluding PL access -- sadly, very much par for the course lately.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Can someone remind me, the T-72 forced upgrade only works for the GS member (and companion/s on same flight), correct? I have a friend who's #1 on EWR-NRT on 2 August using my PP, currently flight is booked 42/50 (1 blocked). Assuming I can't use the T-72 to force him through (I'm not on the flight), I'm sure UA will upgrade him an hour or less before the flight, thereby precluding PL access -- sadly, very much par for the course lately.
Correct. I have a PP UG sponsored for a colleague traveling separately from me, its inside 72 and its currently 30/44. Flight has been lightly loaded since he bought his ticket and he’s been #1 on the list since it was 18/44. Fingers crossed it clears for him and he can enjoy the Polaris lounge for a few hours.
Old Jul 31, 22, 12:10 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Had a frustrating experience with a "GS customer care" agent who stopped communicating with me. I ended up sending the following email:

To: UA Director Customer Care
Subject: A frustrating and unresolved interaction with GS customer care
Date: July 29, 2022 9:04:29 PM CDT

Dear XXX,

Sorry to bother you again. I had a simple case of requesting the GS desk to refund 20 Plus point for a cancelled reservation of my wife. The customer care agent insisted that the points have been refunded, and I have not heard any more from her.

The situation is very simple. I applied 20 points to my wife's reservation, which was later changed, and I had to apply the plus points again. She ended up not being able to travel, so the reservation was cancelled the second time. The customer care agent replied with an image that their record shows the points were deducted and refunded on 7/13. But my account on United.com does not shown any such refund. I wonder if she didn’t see the second time upgrade, so I sent her the details as attached, (that contains details of the sequence of events), but there is no more communications from her.

Within 20 hours I received a reply.

Dear PanAmWT:

I believe you are correct in that the Customer Care agent did not see that there were two different deductions for confirmation ABC123. This has been resolved and the 20 PlusPoints has been redeposited back into your MileagePlus account.

As a Global Services member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,

YYY
MileagePlus® Service Center

QUESTION: Will MileagePlus tell the "GS customer care" agent that she didn't do her job right? This agent refused to look at my description of the events and consider that she might have made a mistake. She simply ignored all my follow up emails.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 22 at 1:22 am Reason: overwrote PNR Locator
Old Jul 31, 22, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM

On UA883 Sunday the plane left the gate with 11 empty J seats and 17 on the waitlist. With PE and E- almost full. Why would/ could this happen? My sister in law who I sponsored an upgrade for was left unupgraded with a purchased PE ticket and left at number 1 on the waitlist.
Old Jul 31, 22, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post

On UA883 Sunday the plane left the gate with 11 empty J seats and 17 on the waitlist. With PE and E- almost full. Why would/ could this happen? My sister in law who I sponsored an upgrade for was left unupgraded with a purchased PE ticket and left at number 1 on the waitlist.
Mmmm…website indicates the flight left full in Polaris business with one person having been upgraded.
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:36 pm

Programs: United GS, *wood LT Plat
Purchased a revenue ticket (just me) - all domestic. No issue / questions/ comments forcing upgrades at T-72 both directions.
Gate45 likes this.

Last edited by lilpisher; Aug 2, 22 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 1, 22, 6:19 pm

I feel like for the first time in a long time (multi-year PP status) I have the opportunity to hit GS. I’ve already hit 1K due to recent trips to Brazil and Singapore. I have additional trips planned to Brazil, Europe, and Singapore again, out of EWR. If I hit $40k UA metal PQD, does that feel like a good chance? I think that is easily achievable. I would be able to hit more but the flights to Singapore are really much much better on SQ or NH, that its hard to swallow the Polaris coffin for such a long flight. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts. Do codeshare/JV flight PQD count towards GS qualification?
Old Aug 1, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JCrew7384 View Post
I feel like for the first time in a long time (multi-year PP status) I have the opportunity to hit GS. I’ve already hit 1K due to recent trips to Brazil and Singapore. I have additional trips planned to Brazil, Europe, and Singapore again, out of EWR. If I hit $40k UA metal PQD, does that feel like a good chance? I think that is easily achievable. I would be able to hit more but the flights to Singapore are really much much better on SQ or NH, that its hard to swallow the Polaris coffin for such a long flight. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts. Do codeshare/JV flight PQD count towards GS qualification?
United metal is what counts.

What’s your home airport? Out of DEN, I was a 10 years $35-42K UA only spend and never got the invitation. When I hit $60, it triggered the invitation but I can’t tell you where it was between $42 and $60 that made me roll over.
Old Aug 1, 22, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JCrew7384 View Post
As I responded on your other thread - EWR is a tough GS hub as there are so many of us.... That said -- given the pandemic and your spending and remaining trips -- you have a good shot. But would only recommend trying if you actually value the perks you will get... As someone that can purchase J to fly globally UA GS isn't worth anywhere near what it used to be -- unless (to me) you have a spouse that you want to fly with you -- or if want to have the ability to upgrade award tickets (due to PN vs PZ availability / priority). Outside of that pick the best product -- trust me- UA GS isn't what it used to be....
zambonisk, limey1K, tcdtcd and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 1:51 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
.... UA GS isn't worth anywhere near what it used to be -- unless (to me) you have a spouse that you want to fly with you -- or if want to have the ability to upgrade award tickets (due to PN vs PZ availability / priority). Outside of that pick the best product -- trust me- UA GS isn't what it used to be....
A strong second to that.

I'm based in the middle of nowhere and originally qualified with $50K+. I've been renewed with as little as $35k pre-covid. It looks like I'll finish this year with $33K. However, the value of GS has dipped so dramatically, I'm not sure I'll bother trying to increase chances by spending another $5K or so.

Only being able to upgrade my wife or child companion on one segment is kind of a deal killer for me. That and the fact, that the ONLY time I ever get an upgrade with PP is when it's available at booking.
PBIFLL likes this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 9:51 am

What fare class do GS upgrades clear into for Premium economy?
Old Aug 3, 22, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Has anyone had Expert Mode not match up with what GS agents are seeing.
Trying to book a CLE-FLL ticket that's showing T1 in expert mode, but after 4 HUCAs, none of the GS agents are seeing anything in T.
Old Aug 3, 22, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Has anyone had Expert Mode not match up with what GS agents are seeing.
Trying to book a CLE-FLL ticket that's showing T1 in expert mode, but after 4 HUCAs, none of the GS agents are seeing anything in T.
Is that a nonstop or multiple segments? If multiple segments T may not be available on one of them. Just guessing here...

Search this Thread