Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 22, 10:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: st530
Wiki Link
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]


Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 27, 22, 8:07 am
  #811  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Posts: 2,071
Originally Posted by chitraveler1975 View Post
I’d bet this is the same vindictive agent whose name starts with C that blacklisted one of my reservations last week - thank goodness the next agent laughed at her remarks and ignored them
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that that's a hard 'C' or possibly a 'K' and that it is the same as the name of a small general aircraft model.
porciuscato is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:19 am
  #812  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA GS / AF Plat / Marriott Ambassador / Hertz PC (who isn't?) / National Exec Elite / CFA Signature
Posts: 166
I’ll never understand the riddles around agents’ *first* names. Even when giving praise most here choose to not mention an actual first name which has always struck me as odd - even if you believe agents are entitled to staying anonymous in the course of their function (I don’t), then how does sharing a first name go against that?

…or is it an FT rule I’m unaware of?
Gate45 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:23 am
  #813  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by LangerhansCellHistiocytosis View Post
Sorry, what I meant was if 1GS + group of 6 (non-GS) are all on the waitlist on the same PNR with PP coming from the GS account, will the agent manually upgrade everyone at T-72? There is some vague discussion that some people said that they are only willing to push 1 upgrade + GS at T-72 when you call in.
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
I have this situation coming up myself (hopefully we’re not on the same flight, ha).
I expect that the answer is yes, *provided your 7 pax are ranked 1 through 7 on the upgrade list*.
Originally Posted by Chukiechz View Post
also in an similar situation for next week with 4 of us. FC has had 12 open seats for almost a year now, but still waiting for upgrade. Down to 10 this last week, so I hope it will hold out enough to clear at 72. We’ll be on a cruise when that window opens up, so I guess I’ll have to call in while in port.

I even split our reservation 2 and 2 (wife is also GS) in hopes it would clear easier, but no luck so far. It was PN1 for a week until this morning
Can the three of you report back on experiences? I was the one who asked the question upthread. I also have a 4 person reservation (with only me GS), and am curious if we can push through > 2 people at T-72. When I spoke to two separate GS agents over the phone to clarify the rule, both seemed to believe it was only possible for me and a companion, not multiple companions. These agents overall seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful (one helped me push through multiple one segment upgrades, as well as consolidate ~12 FFCs into a singable ETC), so I would be surprised if they were wrong.

(I will also report back in two weeks’ time, but there are only 7 seats left, and 4 of us, so we might just need to upfare, haha.)
sfosin is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:34 am
  #814  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,681
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
.... …or is it an FT rule I’m unaware of?
Privacy

Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors)...
This has generally interpreted as full names or uncommon first names.

This is to prevent cyber stalking or attempts to contact outside of normal channels (it has happened). Also protects the employee from being called out by their employer.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:51 am
  #815  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 4,387
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Privacy

This has generally interpreted as full names or uncommon first names.

This is to prevent cyber stalking or attempts to contact outside of normal channels (it has happened). Also protects the employee from being called out by their employer.
So posting common first names is OK?
I think it's time to start doing that in this thread as some GS agents are amazing and others seem to take pride in getting the rules dead wrong and then adding the most asinine and nasty notes to your PNR.
Best to pool resources and know who to avoid while still avoiding identifying them personally.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
ctownflyer is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 10:06 am
  #816  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lahaina, HI & Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 2,381
There is a list maintained by porciuscato who has supplied to others through PM.
LAXOGG is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 10:32 am
  #817  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA GS / AF Plat / Marriott Ambassador / Hertz PC (who isn't?) / National Exec Elite / CFA Signature
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Privacy

This has generally interpreted as full names or uncommon first names.

This is to prevent cyber stalking or attempts to contact outside of normal channels (it has happened). Also protects the employee from being called out by their employer.
Thanks! But yes, sounds to me like full name. Anyway, no big deal, just thought the whole riddle was funny (and it became even funnier with post 815).

I have commended UA agents on FT on occasion, using their first name, without moderator intervention so I will keep doing that.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
So posting common first names is OK?
I think it's time to start doing that in this thread as some GS agents are amazing and others seem to take pride in getting the rules dead wrong and then adding the most asinine and nasty notes to your PNR.
Best to pool resources and know who to avoid while still avoiding identifying them personally.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by sfosin View Post
Can the three of you report back on experiences? I was the one who asked the question upthread. I also have a 4 person reservation (with only me GS), and am curious if we can push through > 2 people at T-72. When I spoke to two separate GS agents over the phone to clarify the rule, both seemed to believe it was only possible for me and a companion, not multiple companions. These agents overall seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful (one helped me push through multiple one segment upgrades, as well as consolidate ~12 FFCs into a singable ETC), so I would be surprised if they were wrong.

(I will also report back in two weeks’ time, but there are only 7 seats left, and 4 of us, so we might just need to upfare, haha.)
T-72 is tonight for me. I will report back, absolutely.
sfosin likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 22 at 10:46 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Gate45 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 2:22 pm
  #818  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,681
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
.... …or is it an FT rule I’m unaware of?
Privacy

Do not post the names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors)...
This has generally interpreted as full names or uncommon first names.

This is to prevent cyber stalking or attempts to contact outside of normal channels (it has happened). Also protects the employee from being called out by their employer.
As a followup, it is best not to use the public forum for discussing individual employees per the FT Rules.

Suggest using PMs for sharing things best not public.
SPN Lifer and Gate45 like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 8:40 pm
  #819  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA GS / AF Plat / Marriott Ambassador / Hertz PC (who isn't?) / National Exec Elite / CFA Signature
Posts: 166
Reporting back as promised, though the parameters are somewhat different - I forgot I had booked some of us in J outright.

This was the setup: party of 5 all on same flight, 2 in paid J (me GS +1 no status), 3 in paid Y (1 Plat + 2 no status). The 3 in Y have my PPs applied.

Flight is on a 773 with 23 J seats left open at T-72. J9 of course - per “upgrade” page of flight status, not by counting seats on the seat map.

I call and get lucky with one of the best agents, she immediately tries to figure out how to clear all three but after chatting with supervisor regrets to inform me only one can be force cleared. Had to separate the records and so now there’s 3 in J (thereof one upgrade) and 2 in Y still.

She said she plead the case with the supervisor that it made zero sense to make 2 wait for battlefield when the plane is half-empty, to no avail. FWIW I believe her, the whole thing took a long while as she was trying everything to help.

Bottom line: as stated by her supervisor, the rule is only GS+1 companion can be force-cleared. If the GS is already in paid J (as was my case), then that’s only the one companion and that’s that.

YMMV, but I doubt it will.
sfosin likes this.
Gate45 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:16 pm
  #820  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ORD
Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Posts: 971
Thanks for the update.
The rules, the exceptions, the cutbacks in exceptions, and the new tighter rules are becoming irritating and tiring. 😡
st530, Ed26, manstein58 and 1 others like this.
tcdtcd is online now  
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:17 pm
  #821  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 1,249
GS is not what it once was and that’s a sad thing.
limey1K is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 9:24 pm
  #822  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 5,003
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Thanks for the update.
The rules, the exceptions, the cutbacks in exceptions, and the new tighter rules are becoming irritating and tiring. 😡
As a GS that has experienced the best of GS -- yes it sucks - welcome to "Kirbyland"....
bmwe92fan is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 11:47 pm
  #823  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
Reporting back as promised, though the parameters are somewhat different - I forgot I had booked some of us in J outright.

This was the setup: party of 5 all on same flight, 2 in paid J (me GS +1 no status), 3 in paid Y (1 Plat + 2 no status). The 3 in Y have my PPs applied.

Flight is on a 773 with 23 J seats left open at T-72. J9 of course - per “upgrade” page of flight status, not by counting seats on the seat map.

I call and get lucky with one of the best agents, she immediately tries to figure out how to clear all three but after chatting with supervisor regrets to inform me only one can be force cleared. Had to separate the records and so now there’s 3 in J (thereof one upgrade) and 2 in Y still.

She said she plead the case with the supervisor that it made zero sense to make 2 wait for battlefield when the plane is half-empty, to no avail. FWIW I believe her, the whole thing took a long while as she was trying everything to help.

Bottom line: as stated by her supervisor, the rule is only GS+1 companion can be force-cleared. If the GS is already in paid J (as was my case), then that’s only the one companion and that’s that.

YMMV, but I doubt it will.
Thank you! I will try myself next week, but yes, suspect the answer will be the same.
sfosin is offline  
Old Jul 27, 22, 11:54 pm
  #824  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by Gate45 View Post
Reporting back as promised, though the parameters are somewhat different - I forgot I had booked some of us in J outright.

This was the setup: party of 5 all on same flight, 2 in paid J (me GS +1 no status), 3 in paid Y (1 Plat + 2 no status). The 3 in Y have my PPs applied.

Flight is on a 773 with 23 J seats left open at T-72. J9 of course - per “upgrade” page of flight status, not by counting seats on the seat map.

I call and get lucky with one of the best agents, she immediately tries to figure out how to clear all three but after chatting with supervisor regrets to inform me only one can be force cleared. Had to separate the records and so now there’s 3 in J (thereof one upgrade) and 2 in Y still.

She said she plead the case with the supervisor that it made zero sense to make 2 wait for battlefield when the plane is half-empty, to no avail. FWIW I believe her, the whole thing took a long while as she was trying everything to help.

Bottom line: as stated by her supervisor, the rule is only GS+1 companion can be force-cleared. If the GS is already in paid J (as was my case), then that’s only the one companion and that’s that.

YMMV, but I doubt it will.
thanks for the update! I think I will be ok getting mine pushed (assuming space remains) through since we have two separate reservations with GS+1 and my PP applied.
Chukiechz is online now  
Old Jul 28, 22, 4:07 am
  #825  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: UA GS / AF Plat / Marriott Ambassador / Hertz PC (who isn't?) / National Exec Elite / CFA Signature
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by Chukiechz View Post
thanks for the update! I think I will be ok getting mine pushed (assuming space remains) through since we have two separate reservations with GS+1 and my PP applied.
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work, but if it were me I would play it safe and make two separate calls.
iluv2fly, LAXOGG, Dyce and 1 others like this.
Gate45 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread