Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
....we'll see the purging Feb 2024. Can't wait for that to happen!...
As a 1K who easily hits the "normal" 1K $ spend, I can't wait for it either. The ranks are swelled with 1Ks who didn't fly much the the pandemic and I have to compete with these bozos ( ) for upgrades. Along with the higher hurdle, I'm hoping a lot of companies have decided travel isn't as important as it used to be.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
1. Why do the phone lines have waits? Because the call centers aren't scaling to handle all the temporary 1Ks, just to fire them in Feb.
2. Why are IRROP service levels low, because there are so many elites, UA has abandoned even trying to be proactive.
3. GS are also flush with PP, so opening PN doesn't make sense as GS will hand out PPs like jelly beans.

The only way to reliably upgrade, on a flight with space, is the 3-day rule, which system-validates traveler is GS and PPs are from GS account.
GS phone lines have waits because there's too many 1K?
Okie dokie.

The real reason? C19 early-outs and a tight labor market now.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
GS phone lines have waits because there's too many 1K?
Okie dokie.

The real reason? C19 early-outs and a tight labor market now.
Agreed. What do 1Ks have to do with GS services? Shouldn't even be in this thread.

David
AeRoSpaceman and greenpau like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Agreed. Assuming the $24k limit will come back for 2023 we'll see the purging Feb 2024. Can't wait for that to happen!

That said ... I am still seeing a lot of PN available ... maybe just the routes I am looking at?
I'm out of BOS too and apart from BOS-EWR and the new BOS-LHR route, PN at booking has been almost non-existent
greenpau likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dkc715
If you are a GS million miler where your spouse has GS status, you could book yourself outbound in first and return in coach (preferably as two one ways). Then do the opposite for your spouse....book them in coach out and first return. That way each GS is using the companion upgrade perk once. I can't see how this would be denied. Of course, credit card billing could be an issue if your business pays for one RT first class fare. I haven't tried this yet, but am anxious to give it a whirl.
This might work but then doesn’t allow you to upgrade a companion’s award ticket.
greenpau likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
Sorry but i'm with Dyce on this one. 35 years of elite with both United and Continental and Lifetime GS like you are but the level of service has fallen dramatically, benefits have been reduced and i have NO confidence any of it will improve substantially. For the first time ever i am intentionally booking away from United for international premium travel. They have already lost $30K this year to other carriers
Alas, UA does not care. They have already priced in that x number of GS members will bail because of the now annual GS service cuts and they have calculated that they will still come out ahead.

The only way that changes is if enough GS members jump off the hamster wheel and throw off those calculations.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:17 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Alas, UA does not care. They have already priced in that x number of GS members will bail because of the now annual GS service cuts and they have calculated that they will still come out ahead.

The only way that changes is if enough GS members jump off the hamster wheel and throw off those calculations.
My non-UA spend last year was <$5K. My YTD non-UA spend this year is already $26K. Just need a few thousand more of me and maybe they'll notice? Probably not.
benewr likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
Agreed. What do 1Ks have to do with GS services? Shouldn't even be in this thread.

David
I believe that there is a reasonably widely held belief that, due to the decimation of the long tenured GS agent ranks, many calls now roll over to non-GS trained, 1K phone agents.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by LIH
My non-UA spend last year was <$5K. My YTD non-UA spend this year is already $26K. Just need a few thousand more of me and maybe they'll notice? Probably not.
just curious, which airline is getting your business and are you happier with the service provided? Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
I believe that there is a reasonably widely held belief that, due to the decimation of the long tenured GS agent ranks, many calls now roll over to non-GS trained, 1K phone agents.
There hasn't been a 1K desk in a decade.
SPN Lifer and onthesam like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:13 pm

Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
They have already lost $30K this year to other carriers
In the big picture. Not a lot of money. Someone else will slide in.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Uh, if y'all GS aren't getting service, then 1Ks are missing it too.

David
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Not saying service hasn't suffered, it has. I'm simply saying the reason is a glut of elite members and elite currency. By Feb 1, 1K membership will get cut by 33%+ and PP currency slashed by 70%+.

At that point, if things like PN availability don't reopen and IRROPS support improve, then UA is clearly changing its business model, in which case it's ok for us also to reconsider our relationship with UA.

We'll all know in roughly 6 months...
You mean 2024 … nothing is changing for 18 months with your logic. With Summer base fares at ~25% above 2019 then we are going to see more than ever for 2023, given the lower qualification thresholds.

Originally Posted by chitraveler1975
Say it ain’t so. She is the best! Helped me as recently as a month ago when a flight got cancelled and there were no seats available for 2 days until she did her magic and got me on the next flight - all in under three minutes!!!
If you come across her, please tell her this. I’ve also written in praising all she did right and how it would be great to see her service style captured in new agents. Can’t hurt?

Originally Posted by dkc715
If you are a GS million miler where your spouse has GS status, you could book yourself outbound in first and return in coach (preferably as two one ways). Then do the opposite for your spouse....book them in coach out and first return. That way each GS is using the companion upgrade perk once. I can't see how this would be denied. Of course, credit card billing could be an issue if your business pays for one RT first class fare. I haven't tried this yet, but am anxious to give it a whirl.
They appear to already be onto this. Doesn’t matter how you frame the interpretation of the rules, they keep pushing back.

Agreed. Assuming the $24k limit will come back for 2023 we'll see the purging Feb 2024. Can't wait for that to happen!

That said ... I am still seeing a lot of PN available ... maybe just the routes I am looking at?
Pray tell … still duck egg zero for me on any route I try.

Last edited by greenpau; Jun 13, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
You mean 2024 … nothing is changing for 18 months with your logic. With Summer base fares at ~25% above 2019 then we are going to see more than ever for 2023, given the lower qualification thresholds.

If you come across her, please tell her this. I’ve also written in praising all she did right and how it would be great to see her service style captured in new agents. Can’t hurt?

They appear to already be onto this. Doesn’t matter how you frame the interpretation of the rules, they keep pushing back.

Pray tell … still duck egg zero for me on any route I try.
For all of my "known" travel thru end of year, I have managed to find PN *once*; on a random LHR-EWR in mid october, booked last week. Thats it.
greenpau likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.