Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:06 pm

It's been 2 years since I've flown and I've forgotten some of the norms around PP upgrades, can someone help me out?
1. GS upgrades clear into PN, right?
2. I have 4 people (including myself) to upgrade, that should be fine as long as there are 4 spots open?
3. And the big one: I don't remember how soon before a flight the PN space opens up. I want to say I used to be able to find space if the flight was less than a month out (but this wasn't guaranteed)? Does that sound right?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aloomatar
It's been 2 years since I've flown and I've forgotten some of the norms around PP upgrades, can someone help me out?
1. GS upgrades clear into PN, right?
2. I have 4 people (including myself) to upgrade, that should be fine as long as there are 4 spots open?
3. And the big one: I don't remember how soon before a flight the PN space opens up. I want to say I used to be able to find space if the flight was less than a month out (but this wasn't guaranteed)? Does that sound right?
1. Correct. GS upgrades supported by PP clear into the PN bucket.
2. Yes, as long as PN4 then you can upgrade all.
3. If you don't see it when you book it could clear at any time and it's offered based on what revenue management thinks it can sell on a given flight, route, date, etc. I have cleared PN at booking 6 months in advance and a few days before departure.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by benewr
...she didn’t want to check in my spouse’s bag because the flight was departing in more than 4h. (We both went to the airport together as I was flying west coast early morning and she was flying to Europe in the afternoon).
« It’s too early, and you’re not rechecking from a connection so I can’t take the bag, you will have to wait until 4h before departure»
That is the written policy
"For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure,"
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
but perhaps that can be overridden by GS agents.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is the written policy
"For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before a scheduled flight departure,"
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
but perhaps that can be overridden by GS agents.
Yes, the GS agents can override it.
I checked my bags 8 hours before the flight last month. I checked in at 15:30 pm for the 23:30 pm SFO-SIN flight.
My flight was cancelled the previous night ( actually around 1:30 am), and the hotel (provided by UA) only gave me a late checkout time of 2:30 pm. I explained it to the GS agent and she gladly accepted my bags with no questions asked or comments made.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by limey1K
I traveled today domestic mid-con flight on a 739 on a Z fare with my son. He was on an award ticket with PP applied. Forced outbound and wait listed return. Three GS ended up in the back and he was #4 on the UG list behind them. Free ticket for him so he wasn't too fussed but I'm not rolling those dice for my wife TPAC or TATL. The biggest perk for me was buying my ticket and then either buying an economy or saver ticket for her and upgrading at booking, picking seat next to each other etc. Being able to take her along once or twice a year in Polaris was one of, if not the biggest benefit GS had for me. Crowded GS lobbies, 20 min phone wait times, GS agents no longer proactively handling IRROPS and this devaluation really makes GS seem not much different than1K a decade ago.
I am right there with you - single biggest benefit. In 2019 when this was implemented, there was a lot of discussion here, and concerted emails to GS CS were sent off by GS on here and beyond. We all received the same generic responses.

Lately, I've been really questioning the value proposition of GS on this basis - and I hope UA begin to realize this. Two cases in point: I have a Board meeting coming up in Copenhagen, and I want to bring my better half with me. The UA roundtrip ticket is $7,750 and there are competing options on the exact same dates from SWISS and BA for $3,100 roundtrip per ticket. I can basically book both of us in confirmed business for $6,200, save $1,550, use zero companion award ticket miles and PP, and most importantly don't sweat it out that my better half is going to remain in Premium Plus (now with no liquor, beer and wine only!) on the way back. Same thing for SYD work trip ... $8,900 with UA, $4,100 with Qantas. Let's face it - the Polaris seat is great, but the soft service now drags almost every US and EMEA carrier.

Again, hope UA begin to realize this as the entire model of premium pricing is shifting coming out of the pandemic and aggressive status match offers are ramping up. If you are someone that buys Business anyway and doesn't rely on upgrades - and you can't make GS this way, anyway - then cheaper J fare offerings will carry the day. First meal choice, pre-boarding are all 1K benefits. Most other carriers offer pre-ordering of food already, meaning you get your first choice regardless of status.
kenjih, drklain, limey1K and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by greenpau
I am right there with you - single biggest benefit. In 2019 when this was implemented, there was a lot of discussion here, and concerted emails to GS CS were sent off by GS on here and beyond. We all received the same generic responses.

Lately, I've been really questioning the value proposition of GS on this basis - and I hope UA begin to realize this. Two cases in point: I have a Board meeting coming up in Copenhagen, and I want to bring my better half with me. The UA roundtrip ticket is $7,750 and there are competing options on the exact same dates from SWISS and BA for $3,100 roundtrip per ticket. I can basically book both of us in confirmed business for $6,200, save $1,550, use zero companion award ticket miles and PP, and most importantly don't sweat it out that my better half is going to remain in Premium Plus (now with no liquor, beer and wine only!) on the way back. Same thing for SYD work trip ... $8,900 with UA, $4,100 with Qantas. Let's face it - the Polaris seat is great, but the soft service now drags almost every US and EMEA carrier.
Agree 100% -- The two last remaining thing that keeps me a GS is 1) The ability to upgrade awards tickets, 2) GS clears into PN. As a couple we travel back and forth to Japan probably 8-10 times per year (pre-COVID -- 4-5 times during) and using PP to upgrade these tickets allows us to travel in J for a really good value.... If this benefit is lost there is literally no reason for me to be GS any more as we fly in J internationally and Y domestically -- and no even my upgrades don't clear much any more...
tcdtcd and pigzilla like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I don't know why anyone would book UA with those prices and not book SWISS, BA, or Qantas regardless of unpublished benefits. I'd fly the other carriers if it meant that much savings.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

Again, hope UA begin to realize this as the entire model of premium pricing is shifting coming out of the pandemic and aggressive status match offers are ramping up. If you are someone that buys Business anyway and doesn't rely on upgrades - and you can't make GS this way, anyway - then cheaper J fare offerings will carry the day. First meal choice, pre-boarding are all 1K benefits. Most other carriers offer pre-ordering of food already, meaning you get your first choice regardless of status.
It's perplexing to me that UA seems to be missing this point.

If they want to purely compete on price moving forward and don't care about GS loyalty that's certainly their prerogative but it's an interesting choice. Frequent international business travelers can easily make 1K with a few roundtrip business class flights and can do so by only selecting UA when the price is right. What GS drove (at least in my case), was consistently choosing UA over other carriers that may have better flight times, cheaper flights, and better in-flight offerings (at least on soft product). In a year with a lot of travel this could drive an incremental $20-40k in revenue towards UA. But the only reason I did this was due to the perks and exceptions allowed to GS members that benefited my personal travel and the general feeling that for all of my travel I could call GS and have a good outcome regardless of rules on paper.

UA doesn't seem to care about following through on that promise any more so it's unclear why I would go out of my way to divert spend to them as business travel resumes. More flexibility on my end to choose who I want to fly and aside from domestic upgrades I doubt I'll notice a huge difference when I drop to 1K.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
UA doesn't seem to care about following through on that promise any more so it's unclear why I would go out of my way to divert spend to them as business travel resumes. More flexibility on my end to choose who I want to fly and aside from domestic upgrades I doubt I'll notice a huge difference when I drop to 1K.
Spot on. Here's another interesting discussion in our family this morning for Summer leisure travel getting to ATH ... UA is US > FRA/MUC/ZRH > ATH in August is $4,100 in Polaris. TK US > IST > ATH for $2,200 in Business. Better half: "Given this crazy thing where you can now only upgrade me in one direction when you buy a ticket, it doesn't seem to make sense to book it and use the miles and points. The food is horrible on UA anyway and we can still use the Polaris lounge"
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:40 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
To pile on to the value-proposition of GS degradation marathon...

My travel has absolutely exploded this year with much more international travel than usual. I've also done a few transcons on AA out of MIA/JFK/LAX in their Flagship First product with no material status and have been really pleasantly surprised. On my last trip the gent next to me in the lounge mentioned that he has Flagship First lounge access (AA's version of the Polaris Lounge) on all itineraries (even domestic) as Concierge Key. While they don't let you do the dining unless you're properly in Flagship First, the balance of the lounge experience is so far above the UC that I'm seriously considering trying to be a dual citizen this year. I'm already at $30K spend on UA. I'm thinking of killing that in the low-40s and taking my GS chances and seeing if my ~40-50K spend on AA outside of that can get me a look at CK.

I never thought I would be seriously thinking about jumping ship over something as trivial as INTL C lounge access, but that probably speaks volumes about just how much I feel GS is worth it these days.

Last edited by LIH; Apr 6, 2022 at 12:42 pm Reason: tpyo
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
My wife and I are both GS. Suppose I book J outbound and Y return; my wife books Y outbound and J return. Then we force upgrades for each other....

Has anyone tried this?
dkc715, canadiancow and pigzilla like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
My wife and I are both GS. Suppose I book J outbound and Y return; my wife books Y outbound and J return. Then we force upgrades for each other....

Has anyone tried this?
On separate PNRs, I think that works! Brilliant idea!

My wife and I are in same situation - both earned GSs.

Anyone tried this?
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Spot on. Here's another interesting discussion in our family this morning for Summer leisure travel getting to ATH ... UA is US > FRA/MUC/ZRH > ATH in August is $4,100 in Polaris. TK US > IST > ATH for $2,200 in Business. Better half: "Given this crazy thing where you can now only upgrade me in one direction when you buy a ticket, it doesn't seem to make sense to book it and use the miles and points. The food is horrible on UA anyway and we can still use the Polaris lounge"
TK has a good product. Great food. Good lounge in IST. I don't know how they do in IRROPs. Their fares tend to be better. It's going to give UA/LH a headache if they won't be more competitive. It may be a sign that UA can't invest as much in GS status if everything is becoming transactional.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8

If they want to purely compete on price moving forward and don't care about GS loyalty that's certainly their prerogative but it's an interesting choice. Frequent international business travelers can easily make 1K with a few roundtrip business class flights and can do so by only selecting UA when the price is right. What GS drove (at least in my case), was consistently choosing UA over other carriers that may have better flight times, cheaper flights, and better in-flight offerings (at least on soft product). In a year with a lot of travel this could drive an incremental $20-40k in revenue towards UA. But the only reason I did this was due to the perks and exceptions allowed to GS members that benefited my personal travel and the general feeling that for all of my travel I could call GS and have a good outcome regardless of rules on paper.

You are making good points that UA need to seriously consider how it wants to compete for high value passengers through the GS program.

I have not been focusing on requalification for awhile since I am a lifetime GS, but I was surprised to see, in the normal circumstance, I have already made 1K with 3 transpacific flights this year already by the end of Feb. If I am not a lifetime GS and be in the shoes of a 1K who travels in paid premium cabins, I will likely fly other airlines the rest of the year to experience better products and services. UA will lose incremental revenue if GS benefits are diluted or offering no tangile benefits. Yes, dedicated GS line helps, but would I miss the GS check-in lobbies or United Club access, my responses would be no. I am fine with IAD-type of GS counters, and there are better lounge choices. Give us something more tangible. I am close to 5 million lifetime miles and continue to fly in paid premium cabins. I have little incentives if UA don't keep up with GS benefits. I could buy *A partner tickets with 016 number to continue earning 11X multiples and PPs, but UA won't generate as much economic benefits if I continue to fly its metals.
n8-the-gr8 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Spot on. Here's another interesting discussion in our family this morning for Summer leisure travel getting to ATH ... UA is US > FRA/MUC/ZRH > ATH in August is $4,100 in Polaris. TK US > IST > ATH for $2,200 in Business. Better half:
Even with the unpublished benefit - why would anyone consider the UA flight unless forced on a corporate contract?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.