Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by np05
Wait. there’s a number one can text?
Yes, chat with them via the site or DM them via Twitter/FB, etc. Below is a recent interaction I had with them. Look at their response time! I was drinking my Old Fashioned while they got this done. No stress, absolutely seamless.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
While I do not use Twitter, I see United is also on Instagram.

Be careful about Facebook (FB) Messenger, though, where I found the Instagram account. FB Messenger has numerous unofficial as well as potential scam accounts, such as "United Airlines Airport" from Nigeria.
spartacusmcfly likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
While I do not use Twitter, I see United is also on Instagram.
Good to know! I believe it's the same Social Team that responds to all inbound social queries.

I wish they published all the social conduits they support.

I'd love to find them on WhatsApp, but haven't been able to so far.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Good to know! I believe it's the same Social Team that responds to all inbound social queries.

I wish they published all the social conduits they support.

I'd love to find them on WhatsApp, but haven't been able to so far.
For people like me, do not use Twitter, FB, etc, or anything like these, are we out of luck? Is there a plain number for text messaging?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
For people like me, do not use Twitter, FB, etc, or anything like these, are we out of luck? Is there a plain number for text messaging?
There is a "Message Us" option on the United App, under Contact us menu.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Thanks. This is super helpful!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Also available via website:

PanAmWT likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by np05
Here's a silly one: Did GS hand out the luggage tags for 2021/2022? I liked having those different city tags on my bag, but obviously these last two years are asterisk-worthy...
I've not received anything since early 2020... would be nice to get an updated generic Global Services tag(s) made with the same material (just the year? the city is stupid... I received "2020 Denver" tags and yet have no affiliation with the city, hence I don't use them!), but doubt it's a priority for mgmt right now.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Yes, chat with them via the site or DM them via Twitter/FB, etc. Below is a recent interaction I had with them. Look at their response time! I was drinking my Old Fashioned while they got this done. No stress, absolutely seamless.

​​​​​​​
I do love this option although in my (admittedly very small sample size) experience the response times aren't always consistent. I had some issues which received a response within 25 minutes even though I messaged after midnight Central time. Another message went with no response even 24 hours later. I messaged a day later saying I had resolved it myself and still no response.

It would be helpful if they had a clearer response time (even if it changed) just to know whether you were still in the "response window" or if they had likely missed the message and you should try another channel.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Hertz
Global Services service level

Is it just me or has the attention to Global Services customers deteriorated to almost being no status, other than some booking priority attention? The service on the flights is not what it used to be. I was Global Services 2011- 2014, and recently was reinstated in January 2022. From what I recall from the first award, being GS level was truly special. Attention to the GS members and their guests was very clear.
For the past two months, I have hardly received any acknowledgement. Yes I can get on the airplane first. That’s about it. I am a regular weekly flyer between the. Coasts. Not looking for much, just a throwback not 2011 when the patronage seemed to have meant something to the Airline.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Jbiegel
Is it just me or has the attention to Global Services customers deteriorated to almost being no status, other than some booking priority attention? The service on the flights is not what it used to be. I was Global Services 2011- 2014, and recently was reinstated in January 2022. From what I recall from the first award, being GS level was truly special. Attention to the GS members and their guests was very clear.
For the past two months, I have hardly received any acknowledgement. Yes I can get on the airplane first. That’s about it. I am a regular weekly flyer between the. Coasts. Not looking for much, just a throwback not 2011 when the patronage seemed to have meant something to the Airline.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Jbiegel !

If you're GS out of EWR, that may explain much of your lack of service.

Was your 2011-2014 GS also out of EWR?

David
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Hertz
Global Services experience

Yes Global out of Newark in 2011. That experience was much different. Maybe the status was newer ( old Continental legacy). Back then, I felt like the loyalty was rewarded through recognition. Today, it’s different. Sure, there is the GS check in area. I love that feature. After that , it’s choppy. Some flights are better than others. Or I should say some crews are better than others. In 2011, it was weekly runs to DFW. I got to know the crew by name, and it was a comfortable relationship. Yes the front of the plane sections were smaller. In both cases, I have made the effort to sit in the same seat so that I get to know the crew. In 2021/22, they really do not care. I get it, it’s a job, most passengers are challenging. I chat up the crew as it’s a long flight and I welcome the familiarity and the distraction. I guess it’s become more of a job for the crew and less of an enjoyable career.
LHR Wannabee and manstein58 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Yes Global out of Newark in 2011. That experience was much different. Maybe the status was newer ( old Continental legacy). Back then, I felt like the loyalty was rewarded through recognition. Today, it’s different. Sure, there is the GS check in area. I love that feature. After that , it’s choppy. Some flights are better than others. Or I should say some crews are better than others. In 2011, it was weekly runs to DFW. I got to know the crew by name, and it was a comfortable relationship. Yes the front of the plane sections were smaller. In both cases, I have made the effort to sit in the same seat so that I get to know the crew. In 2021/22, they really do not care. I get it, it’s a job, most passengers are challenging. I chat up the crew as it’s a long flight and I welcome the familiarity and the distraction. I guess it’s become more of a job for the crew and less of an enjoyable career.
There have been a lot of changes to the GS ground offering and benefits since those earlier days - if you search FT and look back at the 2018/2019 GS threads, you can see a lot of discussion to this effect.
On Board, there is indeed very little difference between 1K and GS now - you board a few seconds before 1K, both get priority meal choice, similar recognition (if any). Once advanced meal ordering is fully rolled out, this benefit will decrease in value as everyone should be able to get their first choice.
On the ground, the physical GS customer service agent approach has also changed as the GS, Club/Lounge, and Special Services agents were all merged into one Premium Services workgroup last year during the pandemic and the overall number was cut. The company is investing in digital / social contact modes based on passenger preference, as you see in this thread above, but the GS priority phone service continues to be very good and is usually your best bet for any operational disruption - empowered agents who can solve a problem. Disruption support these days is hit or miss - sometimes you get called, sometimes you don't; sometimes you get protected on another flight, sometimes you don't.
Benefits wise, changes to companion Award travel redemption / Award travel conversion rules / processing upgrades are the biggest negative changes to the program that affected many people here the most - combined with reduced PN upgrade availability in general versus historic levels.
drklain likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Also available via website:
Thanks!!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I actually find that I get better service if I" chat up the crew" as you do. I have become friendly with some of the crew members up front who have similar interests. Other than GS special check in, in my past first year as a GS, I saw no difference from 1K except for a recent flight delay that had a ground stop at SFO for almost 3 hours due to fog. I had a connecting flight to London, and with the non-stop gone from LAX until May, and only 1 flight a day down from 2 at SFO, I was definitely missing my connection even after allowing more than 4 hours to connect! I thought it better to stay in SFO overnight and not deal with the potential fog again. To my surprise, I got a text upon landing saying that they were holding the flight for me and to "Take a deep breath" and that my fellow passengers would appreciate my making my way to the flight as quickly as possible. Don't know if 1k's have this happen too, but that alone made me feel special. They also get mileage out of my sharing that happening so a win-win. (I later saw some other people from my earlier flight on board so maybe their algorithm said holding the flight made sense.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.