Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:37 am

Ewr - kef - ewr

Does anyone have any recent EWR - KEF - EWR Polaris food and service experiences they can share? We're traveling in both directions next week (out 9/1 and back 9/5) and are interested in how they approach service on such a short flight. Are two meals offered? What do they offer? Same as European flights? Thanks!

Last edited by troygorczyca; Aug 26, 2022 at 11:51 am Reason: adding in dates
Old Aug 26, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Does anyone have an idea of the menu for ORD-CDG 987 on 8/31? Asking because my wife has some strict dietary restrictions, and we need to plan for the flight beyond "Eat at the ORD Polaris Lounge". From everything I've read here, that's a given.

TIA!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by troygorczyca
Does anyone have any recent EWR - KEF - EWR Polaris food and service experiences they can share? We're traveling in both directions next week (out 9/1 and back 9/5) and are interested in how they approach service on such a short flight. Are two meals offered? What do they offer? Same as European flights? Thanks!
same menu in both directions.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by United747
UA 7 - IAH-NRT - Aug 2022

No menu; was offered beef, fish or veg (the FA did describe them in detail, I just forgot what she said)

I asked for chicken “from the back” and the FA was kinda shocked I asked, but said she’d see if they could spare one. Sure enough, this is what showed up -

It tasted a lot like nacho chicken from a chain restaurant, but it was well spiced. It came with way too much quinoa.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but I will - UA needs to step it up. My following TG flight had a great curry dish, and my SQ flight in Y from BKK-SIN had nasi lemak that was better than UA’s food too -

At this point, I’m going to start booking away from UA (internationally) and directing people at work to as well.
Oh I did the same thing for my LAX-SYD flight last month. I was offered beef, fish or vegetarian except the vegetarian was pasta which is not my idea of vegetarian. I asked for the fish and was told as a 1K I needed to have a second option and I stated chicken from the back. I was served the fish but at what stage is United going to get a program where we can pre-order in Polaris so everyone gets their first choice?

Fortunately I had the vegetable curry in the Polaris lounge, which was excellent, before boarding and asked for the dinner to be served later in the flight which they did.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by United747
UA 7 - IAH-NRT - Aug 2022

No menu; was offered beef, fish or veg (the FA did describe them in detail, I just forgot what she said)

Pre arrival was French toast or eggs - I had the French toast that tasted very much like cafeteria food

I never understand breakfast for pre arrival on Asia flights

….
I guess the photocopier in someone’s office at IAH ran out of toner, so no menus were loaded.

The breakfast thing has been going on for decades, we had it on Continental, not sure if United offered the same. The old Continental omelets were great.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I asked for the fish and was told as a 1K I needed to have a second option and I stated chicken from the back.
Sounds like someone needs re training unless the cabin was all GS and 1K.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:11 pm

FRA-IAH this week. I ordered the Asian vegetarian which was very good. I would definitely recommend it for those who like Indian cuisine. Service was very good. Had the bacon cheeseburger on arrival which I thought was pretty good, though the bread texture felt like it had been frozen, and I also doused it with a packet of Frank’s along with the mustard and ketchup. PDB was water and champagne, nuts were warm, as was the naan/roti that came with the main course.

Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by iflyabunch
FRA-IAH this week. I ordered the Asian vegetarian which was very good. I would definitely recommend it for those who like Indian cuisine. Service was very good. Had the bacon cheeseburger on arrival which I thought was pretty good, though the bread texture felt like it had been frozen, and I also doused it with a packet of Frank’s along with the mustard and ketchup. PDB was water and champagne, nuts were warm, as was the naan/roti that came with the main course.

What a luxurious, beautifuly garnishes salad.
Totally appropriate for business class
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by benewr
What a luxurious, beautifuly garnishes salad.
Totally appropriate for business class
I didn’t mention it but you’re right. The salad was just a pile of greens. Really disappointing. I didn’t touch it. The main was good.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Is that a muffin with the cup of fruit and hamburger?
It was a blueberry muffin which was not particularly exciting. A weird pairing now that you bring it up.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
anybody have any luck lately with executive dining on demand? At one point this was an “enhancement” offered by SQ (and UA?) and most appreciated by those of us following the CIA jet lag diet (or who just aren’t hungry for a meal after takeoff). It cheeses me that I can’t eat a decent meal midflight or limited to those mediocre looking breakfasts at the end.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

The cauliflower salad, sadly still on the menu in August, was disgusting. The bread was cold and stale…

I was brave and went for the Barbera with the cheese - not nice, but then the FA was unable to describe any other wine.
How was the Barbera? One of,my favs but not easy to find.

i will be VERY stale (like the bread) if I am served anything with cauliflower or kale on my flight. However reading the posts I see the soup appears mostly on the westbound TATL so maybe I can avoid it as I’m not returning on UA.

]
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
anybody have any luck lately with executive dining on demand? At one point this was an “enhancement” offered by SQ (and UA?) and most appreciated by those of us following the CIA jet lag diet (or who just aren’t hungry for a meal after takeoff). It cheeses me that I can’t eat a decent meal midflight or limited to those mediocre looking breakfasts at the
]
Yes but I do not call it that. I just ask if I can have the meal later in the flight and they give a warning it will take 20 minutes to heat up the meal. Most recent was LAX-SYD in July. Never been an issue on any flight.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:23 am

UA 863 SFO-SYD

Very senior crew with friendly service. Gel pillows placed at all seats and pajamas offered. I also was able to get a mattress pad after asking. PDB champagne was served in glassware. Warm nuts with drinks. Got the veggie chili which was nothing much to look at but well spiced and served to temperature. Salad was still a sad pile of greens with a couple tomatoes and a mozzarella ball. Bread was warm but not the freshest. Ice cream sundae was served at an edible temperature with fixings.

Opted to skip breakfast in favor of a turkey sandwich I brought from Arguello Market in SF.

Other passengers were served dinner midflight so some kind of dine-on-demand format seems to be a thing.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
TPG did a comparison of Business class for the big 3 - LHR - New York. American and Delta flights were to JFK. United was to EWR on a 767-300. This was the one guy's reaction to the cauliflower salad:

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Aug 28, 2022 at 4:56 pm Reason: Correction for IAH-OIL-TRASH - thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
TPG did a comparison of Business class for the big 3 - LHR - JFK...
I assume to greater NY area..., not JFK
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
TPG did a comparison of Business class for the big 3 - LHR - JFK. This was the one guy's reaction to the cauliflower salad:

Hah! Just watched this yesterday. He was far more generous regarding the main course than I think most of us would be. Key point is even the choices and pairings are weird, even before getting into the visual and taste.

I agree with him regarding the bedding, pillows, amenity kit and the feel of the seat itself. Those are the Polaris strong points.

The AA ice cream based dessert looked delicious
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.