Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Shaking my head. Those bottles retail at $12-14 a bottle, and I'm guessing United is paying half of that. I would not expect $75 bottles of wine in business class, but I would think wines that are of the quality that typically retail for $25-40 a bottle would be appropriate to expect, especially from an airline that has the buying power to get such wines at wholesale prices.

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
i did snap a picture of the red wine being served.

restlessinRNO and threecap like this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Aug 23, 2022 at 1:10 pm Reason: Said Delta instead of United
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mrbiggs223

Why does PP get the Thai chicken? I know it's not the old Thai chicken (please bring that back and everything else will be forgiven) but it would be a nice improvement in Polaris I'm sure!
mrbiggs223 and Return2flight like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Shaking my head. Those bottles retail at $12-14 a bottle, and I'm guessing Delta is paying half of that. I would not expect $75 bottles of wine in business class, but I would think wines that are of the quality that typically retail for $25-40 a bottle would be appropriate to expect, especially from an airline that has the buying power to get such wines at wholesale prices.
I only saw one of the whites, which was a Chateau Souverain Chardonnay - which I buy sometimes as a regular drinking wine. It retails near me for about $10 - 12.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Shaking my head. Those bottles retail at $12-14 a bottle, and I'm guessing Delta is paying half of that. I would not expect $75 bottles of wine in business class, but I would think wines that are of the quality that typically retail for $25-40 a bottle would be appropriate to expect, especially from an airline that has the buying power to get such wines at wholesale prices.
Yes, I completely agree. 😊
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by cricketer
Why does PP get the Thai chicken? I know it's not the old Thai chicken (please bring that back and everything else will be forgiven) but it would be a nice improvement in Polaris I'm sure!
Are you talking about the Trader Vic's green curry chicken by chance? That used to be one of my favorite meals on United.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I love how they specifically call out the PP instructions:

"individually wrapped bread (NOT HEATED)"

Heaven forbid someone should do something extra.
Probably more of a warning so the plastic wrap does not melt around the bread.

We don't know what Delta is pay for their wine, considering this is a UA flight. At the same time, it's not just about the amount they are buy, but also the availability to source for all stations. Lastly, the price of the wine does not equate quality.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...Lastly, the price of the wine does not equate quality.
There are some Argentinian wines that confirm this. What I don't understand is that UA can get good wines at the lower prices they want - they just have to have someone on board who is capable of idenifying them. I think they just let the wholesalers/distributors present what they want to dump.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ll22949
Are you talking about the Trader Vic's green curry chicken by chance? That used to be one of my favorite meals on United.
No - the "Spicy Chicken" that I think first showed up in 2017 or so.. if you go back to the 2018/2019 threads you'll see a lot of people raving about it. It had a couple of different menu names over time, but was the same dish. An all-time great.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
I like this french toast more than the old one, the nonfat chobani wall paste was terrible of course, didn't touch the croissant shaped bread
Uh, "bread"?

David
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
CDG-IAD on 21 August

Standard TATL menu, overall decent experience and FAs were friendly and attentive. The portions weresmall, especially the second meal, and the only snacks available were fried products. Champagne was Gosset. I chose the beef short rib and vegetable couscous. The mains were quite good (apart from overcooked broccoli) but the sides of both meals were mediocre at best.

Entrees look decent but I see they’re still cutting up the expensive fruit to make the portion look bigger smh.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just did SIN-SFO yesterday (August 22). Really disappointed despite the good services.

1. No PDB
2. No Menu
3. Main dish of Haddock was dry
4. Ice cold and hard bread
5. Mid-flight snacks are the usual sodium or suger filled pre-packaged junk food.
6. 2 egg choices for pre-arrival meal: Omelete or frittata. The size of frittata is smaller than the breakfast pastry and served with a soft fatty bacon strip.
7. No lemon or Lime (I thought they were back)

Probably one of the worst meals in my 30+ years of flying United between US and Singapore.
Where is the improvement we keep hearing about that is coming?
After this year, I will be flying on my own dimes and not be restricted by corporate contracts. If things don't improve, as one of the original 1Ks and GSs when both programs were founded, I may just file for separation.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 23, 2022 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cricketer
No - the "Spicy Chicken" that I think first showed up in 2017 or so.. if you go back to the 2018/2019 threads you'll see a lot of people raving about it. It had a couple of different menu names over time, but was the same dish. An all-time great.
To be clear, this is not the dish served in PP, currently or ever.

The Thai-spiced chicken served in PP is identical to the dish currently served in J on PS routes, and formerly served in domestic F on certain midcons (before the pandemic). Think of it as a slightly saucier version of Pad Thai with chicken. There are photos of this dish in the domestic thread.

The "spicy chicken" (forgetting exactly what it was called) cricketer refers to used to be served in Polaris on flights departing the US. This was more of a soup- or curry-based dish with noodles, chicken, and various vegetables and garnishes, served in a big bowl. There are photos of this dish in the pre-pandemic Polaris threads.
cesco.g and narvik like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just did SIN-SFO yesterday (August 22). Really disappointed despite the good services.

2. No Menu …

Probably one of the worst meals in my 30+ years of flying United between US and Singapore.
Where is the improvement we keep hearing about that is coming?
After this year, I will be flying on my own dimes and not be restricted by corporate contracts. If things don't improve, as one of the original 1Ks and GSs when both programs were founded, I may just file for separation.
What, no menu! We’re going backwards! We had a menu a week or so ago NRT-IAH in J. This is really so basic. ☹️
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
To be clear, this is not the dish served in PP, currently or ever.

The Thai-spiced chicken served in PP is identical to the dish currently served in J on PS routes, and formerly served in domestic F on certain midcons (before the pandemic). Think of it as a slightly saucier version of Pad Thai with chicken. There are photos of this dish in the domestic thread.

The "spicy chicken" (forgetting exactly what it was called) cricketer refers to used to be served in Polaris on flights departing the US. This was more of a soup- or curry-based dish with noodles, chicken, and various vegetables and garnishes, served in a big bowl. There are photos of this dish in the pre-pandemic Polaris threads.
The 'proper' spicy Thai chicken noodle dish was featured in the United cookbook back in 2018. Several of us made it according to the recipe posted by weatherboy in the cookbook thread.
​​​​
I still make this at home from time to time.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31162359-post59.html
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Dyce like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just remembered that they sold a book with Polaris meal recipes… 😂
mrbiggs223 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.