2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Aug 5, 22, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zeke3 View Post
Iíve been following this thread for a while to set expectations for my trip coming up in a few weeks. I was totally prepared to be served an entree of Brown Lump in Brown Sauce with a side of Cauliflower and Grapes. The past few photos, though, have made me a bit more optimistic about what Iíll eat.
"It's the hope that kills you"

I would still keep expectations low.
gutt22, FlytheTail, seanp7 and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
"It's the hope that kills you"

I would still keep expectations low.
Agree - hope is not a strategy -- eating in the PL / BYOF is the right play for now....
Old Aug 5, 22, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Agree - hope is not a strategy -- eating in the PL / BYOF is the right play for now....
Geez, if we're spending over $6K each for a biz RT, it should be restaurant quality.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by DUHCAR View Post
Geez, if we're spending over $6K each for a biz RT, it should be restaurant quality.
It is restaurant quality. Just so happens that the restaurant equivalent is Golden Corral
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post

The beef was medium to medium well but decently tender. Ate at the Polaris lounge so they held the main beef entree until past halfway through the flight. Breakfast had eggs with a slightly runny yolk which was impressive.
United giveth and taketh away. Presentation and quality here certainly looks like an improvement, but whatís up with the 2 vegetarian entrees and no seafood option? Seems like theyíve found another way to cut costs.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I must say this combo looks very nice. I look forward to trying it.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mgobluetex View Post
It is restaurant quality. Just so happens that the restaurant equivalent is Golden Corral
Golden Corral may have an valid claim in denying their food is as bad as United's can be. I've seen some pictures of meals here that would make me want GC food/choices.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 5, 22 at 7:59 pm
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:01 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
UA27 DEN/LHR Aug 3

Pre departure beverage offered. Then warm nuts and drink cart. No Glenfarklas available, FA said she haven’t seen any for a few weeks. Supply chain/COVID/Staff shortages/Pelosi Taiwan trip likely the excuses. We’re in Edinburgh atm, no shortage of SM Scotch here!

We had appetizers at Elways in DEN so we weren’t real hungry but I stepped to the edge of the cliff and ordered spinach flan. Actually, quite tasty and flavorful. The color was a bit off-putting but I enjoyed the new meal change. Mrs DEN had the chicken. It looked like a actual chicken breast (info for SPN Lifer) without the texture of added meat protein and without bubbles (aka chicken McNuggets). We enjoyed both meals, temperature and plating was very good. Mrs DEN skipped dessert and I had the cheese plate. We both skipped breakfast.

Balance of the flight was typical post Polaris launch+2 service ( AKA the Golden Years…), FA’s ghost you after desert and seldom reappear unless heading back to go off duty.

I’d rate the dinner meals we ate at Solid “B+/A-” and the menu changes was a welcome sight.

DEN

Ate it all!

Last edited by DEN; Aug 6, 22 at 2:04 am
Old Aug 6, 22, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by COA777 View Post
United giveth and taketh away. Presentation and quality here certainly looks like an improvement, but what’s up with the 2 vegetarian entrees and no seafood option? Seems like they’ve found another way to cut costs.
The previous (June/July) US-Europe menu also had two vegetarian entrees, but it did have a seafood entree which was replaced with chicken this cycle. As someone who prefers eating seafood on planes, I'm with you on the loss of the seafood entree.
COA777 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 550K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by DEN (Post # 1163) View Post
UA27 DEN/LHR Aug 3

Mrs DEN had the chicken. It looked like an actual chicken breast (info for SPN Lifer) without the texture of added meat protein and without bubbles (aka chicken McNuggets). We enjoyed both meals, temperature and plating was very good.
Thank you for this important data point (DP) in trying to track down the putative existence of compressed, extruded chicken parts allegedly masquerading under the guise of chicken on United Airlines.

One way or another, we will get to the bottom of these rumors, innuendos, or (perhaps) sordid gastronomic facts -- if there is any actual basis for them.

Of course, it is hard to prove a negative.
United747 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 8:02 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ(RIP) Freccia Alata+, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez
I'm on 160 right now MUC-IAH and menu was a printed one pager no wine or drink list, veal, chicken, veggie, and cod option. Burgers before we land. Veal had a lot of gristle but was edible. My kids actually ate the chicken and it was not dry. Very nice crew, nearly all two stripes.

Post meal options better than last few months with ice cream, nice cake, and cheese tray that actually looked fresh and edible.
SPN Lifer and gutt22 like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
Post meal options better than last few months with ice cream, nice cake, and cheese tray that actually looked fresh and edible.
You meant post "main dish" items (i.e. dessert and cheese), right? Not the snacks in the galley (or upon request) in between the 2 meals.
Old Aug 6, 22, 3:13 pm

I had the Duo of Celery Root yesterday. It was surprisingly tasty for something that sounded so horrible. I'd definitely choose that meal again.
sfvoyage and FlyingHoustonian like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I am usually on flights arriving LHR early morning and can take advantage of the arrivals lounge for breakfast. My next trip will get in to LHR at 1:30pm from SFO, negating the lounge option for breakfast. Does UA serve breakfast on this later flight from SFO, or lunch? Iím hoping lunch, but Iím thinking a crummy breakfast is more likely.
Old Aug 6, 22, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I am usually on flights arriving LHR early morning and can take advantage of the arrivals lounge for breakfast. My next trip will get in to LHR at 1:30pm from SFO, negating the lounge option for breakfast. Does UA serve breakfast on this later flight from SFO, or lunch? Iím hoping lunch, but Iím thinking a crummy breakfast is more likely.
I was under the impression that the pre-arrival meal service was always breakfast, regardless of what time the actual arrival is at.

Search this Thread