Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by leoo
I'm not sure if it's route-specific but ORD-GRU on July 1st had a vegetarian option, the vegetarian chilli and polenta cake.
The problem is flights ex-Brazil, Chile, Argentina. No veg dish right now.
sfvoyage and leoo like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The problem is flights ex-Brazil, Chile, Argentina. No veg dish right now.
Too expensive for UA's catering budgets?

David
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Too expensive for UA's catering budgets?

David
More like Brazilians and Argentinians don't like it!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Wow. First time in Polaris (usually fly delta one or virgin). The food service was just so basic and unacceptable for a 10+ hour flight west coast to Europe. As far as I can tell, the only difference between domestic first and polaris was the moment when I was asked “do you want nuts?” One tray was plopped down about 30 minutes after departure, then dessert quickly served and that was it until breakfast.

the snack bar was empty for most of the flight, and when it was not it was just chips and water. I asked if there was anything fresh available and was told no. I asked for peppermint tea, nope. My spouse was never offered wine except when he flagged down an FA to ask for it, and then had to ask for refills. Nothing proactive.

I don’t fly for the food but when I spend thousands of dollars of my own money it seems reasonable to expect a product that is at least decent.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
CDG-EWR
July 24
777-200
I've been using US-EU lately and have taken the Polaris Lounge for granted. In this reverse direction, both meals were mediocre with sloppy presentation. With the chicken main I had to cautiously taste the 'risotto', stuffing, etc and they weren't good.
I would have eaten prior to the flight but the CDG Maple Leaf Lounge was a hot mess (literally) with limited seating until the YYZ flight boarded, and a sea of vultures attacking the buffet for cheese and ham. Bizarre get-your-own-drink (but it's behind a 'bar') and poor wines, no vodka.
Mid-flight they put out chips/chocolate/corn kernels on Row 1 - just in case you didn't have enough sodium with your main meal.
There was nothing premium about this flight.

Main - I couldn't stop thinking about the Bridesmaids food poisoning scene ('you ate a lot of that weird Chicken...' )

CousCous prior to landing
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Wow. First time in Polaris (usually fly delta one or virgin). The food service was just so basic and unacceptable for a 10+ hour flight west coast to Europe. As far as I can tell, the only difference between domestic first and polaris was the moment when I was asked “do you want nuts?” One tray was plopped down about 30 minutes after departure, then dessert quickly served and that was it until breakfast.

the snack bar was empty for most of the flight, and when it was not it was just chips and water. I asked if there was anything fresh available and was told no. I asked for peppermint tea, nope. My spouse was never offered wine except when he flagged down an FA to ask for it, and then had to ask for refills. Nothing proactive.

I don’t fly for the food but when I spend thousands of dollars of my own money it seems reasonable to expect a product that is at least decent.
I will likely get over the line for GS next trip. After that, I think im going to try KLM or Lufthansa to Europe. Its just getting painful...
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

Send this to Scott Kirby, please!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any reports on the new ex-US and/or ex-Europe August menus?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA
UA 32 LAX-NRT August 1st, flown as part of one of the 60k business partner awards. PDB of water or sparkling wine. Pursuer introduced herself by name and FAs took orders during boarding. I overheard the FAs mention that there were 7 or 8 pre-orders, and they were all loaded in one cart so there was some hassle getting all the pre-orders to the correct places. Champagne was gosset. I pre-ordered the short rib.

Short rib was soft and tender. Bread was warm. Toasted nuts were served prior. Ice cream had good texture, not too hard.

Pre-arrival meal was two breakfast options, I had the quiche. I find the decision to make the pre-arrival meal a breakfast to be a very poor one, as neither the origin nor destination airports were anywhere close to breakfast time. Overall service was very good.

As for the food, well, after this I had a 5 ish hour flight on Thai (an airline that recently went through bankruptcy proceedings) to Bangkok, and in that time, I got a 5 course meal (nuts/amuse bouche, salad, thai duck curry, cheese plate, dessert), and a mid-flight snack of Chashu Ramen.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:10 am

Nice to see the return of Shioyaki mackerel (or Saba-Shio) .
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
LHR-SFO 8/1.
I posted the menu above, not much changed from July as far as I could tell. No wine list, of course.

No PDBs offered, notwithstanding we were on the plane for over 2 hours before we took off, courtesy of rolling mechanical issues.

Warm nuts and Champagne Gosset - actually quite good.

The cauliflower salad, sadly still on the menu in August, was disgusting. The bread was cold and stale.
The halibut with braised fennel and Arrabiata sauce was really quite good. The fish, whilst obviously not halibut or very fresh, was at least still moist and firm, the fennel was good and the sauce livened it up. The potatoes, which were meant to be roast were more like boiled, but were fine.
The cheese was surprisingly good - a decent cheddar, some ripe and soft brie and some stilton - in fact I was very positively surprised by this, although it would have been nice to have some butter for the crackers and more than 4 grapes.

I would have liked some white wine with the fish but stuck to the Champagne as the FA was unable to say anything beyond Italian or Spanish or American Chardonnay, none of which sounded at all appetising.
I was brave and went for the Barbera with the cheese - not nice, but then the FA was unable to describe any other wine.

So, in all, I would give the food a 7/10, the wine a 5/10 and presentation and service a 1/10.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would have liked some white wine with the fish but stuck to the Champagne as the FA was unable to say anything beyond Italian or Spanish or American Chardonnay, none of which sounded at all appetising.
I was brave and went for the Barbera with the cheese - not nice, but then the FA was unable to describe any other wine.
How is wine served? By the above description, I assume the wine is not poured (from a beverage cart, for instance) by your seat, so that you cannot see the wine bottles & labels? Are you not allowed to ask to see the wine bottles or go to the galley to take a look for yourself? (Or would that invite a nasty glare, comment, or attitude from the crew?)
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
How is wine served? By the above description, I assume the wine is not poured (from a beverage cart, for instance) by your seat, so that you cannot see the wine bottles & labels?
They pour drinks in the galley now, at least on my last two TATL flights. I don't know if that's a staffing thing, or something else buried in another thread, but that was my experience. I foolishly asked for a 'white wine' - no questions, just an unidentified white wine was brought back (which was drinkable).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Reminder, once again, this thread is for posting examples of present Polaris meals. It serves as a resource for those want to know what might be served during their future flights. Also Q&A about expectations.

As many have issues with UA's inflight service / meals, there is a separated thread created long ago for that discussion.
General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
It is a sticky making it easy to find.

This discussion thread is the place for commenting on UA's present and present in-flight service, individual dissatisfaction, potential reasons for the present state and how other carriers are preforming in comparison.

The threads are separated as the discussion thread is large, and was making the Polaris meal thread hard to use as a reference thread. Realizing one discussion does tend to lead to the other and folks just response without considering the appropriate location. Posts have been moved as needed to the appropriate thread.

Today a large discussion on past Polaris inflight service was moved to , [;ease continue the discussion there

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
st530 and DUHCAR like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
They pour drinks in the galley now, at least on my last two TATL flights. I don't know if that's a staffing thing, or something else buried in another thread, but that was my experience. I foolishly asked for a 'white wine' - no questions, just an unidentified white wine was brought back (which was drinkable).
Originally Posted by fumje
From what I've seen there's variability depending on the crew. Some are back to doing the drinks cart with the nuts, and they put all the bottles on it, so you can easily ask to see. Others take drink orders with the meal orders before serving anything, and then it's harder to find out what the wines are, since they pour in the galley and deliver an unidentified glass.
If the wine is poured in the galley, I'd ask to see the bottle at my seat or volunteer to go to the galley to look at it. (Probably best to arrange to do this before service begins, when the crew is busy and it is harder to get out of my seat with the tray down and utensils all set.) I would think and hope the crew won't mind, unless I am unlucky and get a bad crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.