Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
That would probably taste better…. It was cold and chewy - and was very surprised at how much there was - like a heart attack on a plate - a large departure from the cauliflower and quinoa meals of late!
Well with the breakfast offering as it is, at least when the main gets too 'adventurous' you can always retreat to the safety of yoghurt with a side of yoghurt.
tcdtcd, bmwe92fan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by fumje
Well with the breakfast offering as it is, at least when the main gets too 'adventurous' you can always retreat to the safety of yoghurt with a side of yoghurt.
Well - I did appreciate the two extra blueberries I received in my first yoghurt - and the gut bomb cookie was a nice replacement for the ice cream / egg tart dessert I declined…..
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

My wife wisely declined any food….
should have followed her lead...

wrp96, bmwe92fan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
should have followed her lead...

I took one for the team - to save future FT’s the pain…. And it’s considerable…
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Ice cream "upon request"

Had a rather bizarre experience flying LHR-EWR the other day on the 9:30 AM departure. A couple hours after the first meal service (breakfast), I asked whether any dessert options had been catered. I was informed by the FA that EVERYTHING had been catered (the sweet treats, cheese plates and ice cream sundaes) but they decided not to put them out since it was breakfast time. I asked if they would put them out later in the flight and the FA was unsure (eventually they put out cheese and sweet treats) but she did say that if I wanted ice cream, it's "upon request" and I needed to eat it right then because it had nearly melted and wouldn't be available for the second meal service. What's the purpose of catering all of these items and then letting them go bad? At least offer it even if folks say no...
wrp96, BlueSky72, leoo and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by goldelite8
Had a rather bizarre experience flying LHR-EWR the other day on the 9:30 AM departure. A couple hours after the first meal service (breakfast), I asked whether any dessert options had been catered. I was informed by the FA that EVERYTHING had been catered (the sweet treats, cheese plates and ice cream sundaes) but they decided not to put them out since it was breakfast time. I asked if they would put them out later in the flight and the FA was unsure (eventually they put out cheese and sweet treats) but she did say that if I wanted ice cream, it's "upon request" and I needed to eat it right then because it had nearly melted and wouldn't be available for the second meal service. What's the purpose of catering all of these items and then letting them go bad? At least offer it even if folks say no...
This is my third day flight this year to LHR but my first time posting it - my experience is that the crews on these planes are very junior and inexperienced - it’s a total you know what….

Honestly I don’t think they know what they are doing yet - or even what is in the carts - it’s almost that these flights get the JV team until they graduate to real international service….
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 20, 2022 at 9:01 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Let us know how 1K Voice responds to your complaint.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I have had this happen in the past. But as I recall on that flight they declined to serve any of it because it had "exceeded temperature" or "exceeded holdover time" or something like that. No matter what they could not and would not serve it. But yeah, makes no sense to cater items and let them go bad- quite the waste. UA catering is a total mess. Really, really, really needs top level focus from management.
PACLipper and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Is this a miscatered situation, where extra stuff was loaded? I thought there's no nuts and no desserts for breakfast service?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is this a miscatered situation, where extra stuff was loaded? I thought there's no nuts and no desserts for breakfast service?
I had nuts - two yoghurts - cookies and was offered dessert today - along with a lot bacon and half an egg - and a thimble of mystery sauce and three rocks (potatoes) - who knows????
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:02 pm

Yesterday, LHR-LAX. There were a handful of menus - basically they handed them out to a few people, took orders, then took them back and handed them to the next group of people. There was no champagne, only prosecco, although the FAs referred to it as champagne. It was clear they had no idea what wines or food they had - my husband and I, sitting in the middle, were offered totally different, random wine and dessert options (although they were actually the same). The FA on my husband's side described the white wines on offer as a Pinot Grigio, a white "mix" and Champagne, while I was offered Sauvignon Blanc or Champagne. He was offered a blueberry tart or an ice cream sundae, and I was offered a raspberry tart or a strawberry ice cream cup (which ended up being a chocolate sundae).

The crew was friendly and seemed to try hard. Interestingly, they came around mid-flight offering ham and cheese toasted sandwiches, which is something I haven't seen on here. I didn't take them up on it, as I was settling down to sleep, but they did smell good.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I don't think it's a miscater. Pre-COVID, UA's morning eastbound EWR/IAD-LHR flights had ice cream following breakfast. I always thought offering an ice cream sundae at 10am was a bit odd, as AA always managed to serve it as part of the pre-arrival meal on their daytime flights to LHR.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Buster
Yesterday, LHR-LAX.. ..There was no champagne, only prosecco, although the FAs referred to it as champagne. It was clear they had no idea what wines or food they had - …

The crew was friendly and seemed to try hard.
I had thought this substitution was a thing of the past, but apparently not. ☹️
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
7/20/22 - UA 934 EWR - LHR (daytime flight)

No PDB for me - my wife got one…
No menus
New / junior crew

Given the choice of eggs and bacon - or peach cobbler thing / choose the “eggs” - but as you can see it’s mostly bacon…. Bread was cold - so was my “egg” - hard to believe that domestic food is now so much better than this….

And before you ask I was unable to determine what the sauce was - but it seems to have some seafood in it?

My wife wisely declined any food….

here is the pre-arrival Thai chicken - somehow the noodles were not cooked even though it sat in cream for the whole flight - and yes another cookie!

That's not how that dish is supposed to be plated - the f/a didn't put any effort into it. Officially its Gruyere-cocotte egg with smoked turkey bacon and tomato hollandaise. To be fair - it's also not supposed to have potatoes, it should have fried avocado.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Flying in business class between SIN and SFO (sorry, I am not going to call it Polaris when they substitute an old configuration 787-9 on the route).

No way to pre-select meal choices on-line so https://www.united.com/en/US/preordermeals is meaningless.

I'll stop by Pret at Changi before boarding.

I'll have to ask for pajamas and a mattress pad.

Have to ask for slippers too?

Certain it will be a wonderful flight . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.