Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stopwatch430
It’s pretty bad. Better than BA’s one bite appetizer but not by much. The pandemic era green salad was better. Stay with what works.

The Hallibut was tasty though a starch side would have been nice.

What is the deal these days with on-request PDBs on Polaris flights? I used to be able to get a single mail pre departure from EWR pre-pandemic if I asked. Is this still permitted?
Ask early and ask often?

Really depends upon mood of FA.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Traveled ORD-AMS, skipped the dinner (it was short rib, turbot before I cut off the purser). Woke up in time for breakfast. Option was apple crepe or eggs and avocado. Took the eggs, which were fantastic. The avocado was baked and it was overall far better than the traditional egg-like hockey puck they usually use. Pleasantly surprised.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:30 am

Flew UA1 SFO-SIN a few months ago.

Polaris lounge was nice, the dining room was at capacity when I went (dinner time) but I got buzzed about 10-15 minutes after. Food menu was ok but not fantastic. Had the cioppino and some wines. Waiter didn't seem too familiar with the wine selection on the menu and brought the wrong bottle over initially, but was friendly enough to bring some of the bottles over for me to take a look afterwards.

Meals on board were... decent, given my low expectations of United. Liquor selection was decent.

Dinner was some beef braise(?) with rice. Decently tasty. This was the only meal which I could peg at a "slightly better than top Y airlines" standard.

Mid-flight snack was unremarkable, forgot to take a picture of the contents of the box but there was some nuts, crackers and hummus.

Breakfast was standard fare. For me, the only thing that differentiated it from Y breakfast was the "tablecloth" and the quality of the champagne. And maybe Y generally doesn't get blueberries.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Beepbop
Flew UA1 SFO-SIN a few months ago.

Polaris lounge was nice, the dining room was at capacity when I went (dinner time) but I got buzzed about 10-15 minutes after. Food menu was ok but not fantastic. Had the cioppino and some wines. Waiter didn't seem too familiar with the wine selection on the menu and brought the wrong bottle over initially, but was friendly enough to bring some of the bottles over for me to take a look afterwards.
"ok but not fantastic"..... interesting expression! If it is ok, then "not fantastic" is redundent.

On the offerings of snack boxes, I have received the same on the SQ flight but not on flights to Sydney/Melbourne. I wonder how they determine what snacks to load. On recent flights to Australia, at least sandwiches were avaiable as mid-flight snacks.

BTW, I highly recommend the cheese plate in the Polaris Lounge menu @sfo, IAD and EWR, but not LAX. I have not tried it at IAH and ORD yet.
Buster and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:20 pm

I flew Polaris today for the first time since the pandemic from GVA - EWR and the food offering was way worse than I expected. On a 9 hour flight I found the food to be embarrassingly poor quality and quantity.

Here is all the food I was offered on a flight departing Geneva at 9:30am.

Warm nuts and beverage served shortly after take off

Breakfast was small and poor quality. How can this be the size of the main meal on a 9 hour flight?

Another look at just how small the breakfast burrito was

For dessert they did have a sundae but I went with the cheese. Nothing memorable and served with a single cracker.

Before landing they served a burger that was more in line with an economy meal

Flying Polaris before the pandemic the food was actually a highlight but this flight definitely turned me off to United. We'll see if they attempt to turn it around but I still can't believe this was the offering on a long haul daytime flight.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelSeason
I flew Polaris today for the first time since the pandemic from GVA - EWR and the food offering was way worse than I expected. On a 9 hour flight I found the food to be embarrassingly poor quality and quantity.

Warm nuts and beverage served shortly after take off

Breakfast was small and poor quality. How can this be the size of the main meal on a 9 hour flight?

Another look at just how small the breakfast burrito was

For dessert they did have a sundae but I went with the cheese. Nothing memorable and served with a single cracker.

Before landing they served a burger that was more in line with an economy meal

Flying Polaris before the pandemic the food was actually a highlight but this flight definitely turned me off to United. We'll see if they attempt to turn it around but I still can't believe this was the offering on a long haul daytime flight.
This is one of the new revised options for Brunch flights departing before 10am from Europe. Agree that the portions are minuscule - wasn’t sure where the other half of the wrap had gone.

Encourage you to write in with your photos - it actually helps them go back to the vendor.
CApreppie and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by TravelSeason

I agree, I would send in the photos and tell them this is unacceptable for main meal in Polaris trans-Atlantic. Even by United's low standards, it looks like United got {taken} by the caterer. If I got that, I would ask if there was a second meal lying around or if I could get something from economy. I'm sure not everyone is eating in economy.
tcdtcd and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 2022 at 5:49 pm Reason: FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
UA961 FRA-EWR

I had super low expectations to begin with so there were really no major disappointments with the catering. The cauliflower thing was just as horrible as expected but the fish was ok. Best part of the meal was the pre-arrival veggie plate which was more or less the culinary highlight of this flight. Service by the crew was ok. I just have to say that UA is light years behind of most carriers when it comes to the meals on international business class. If I compare this to my Air France business class experience on CDG-MEX, I can just say wow…

Bloody Mary and Coke with warm nuts.

Halibut with fennel(?) in tomato sauce and the “famous” cauliflower “salad” with grapes.

Very spartan cheese plate

Ice cream

Pre-arrival vegetable with couscous
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
UA961 FRA-EWR

I had super low expectations to begin with so there were really no major disappointments with the catering. The cauliflower thing was just as horrible as expected but the fish was ok. Best part of the meal was the pre-arrival veggie plate which was more or less the culinary highlight of this flight. Service by the crew was ok. I just have to say that UA is light years behind of most carriers when it comes to the meals on international business class. If I compare this to my Air France business class experience on CDG-MEX, I can just say wow…

Bloody Mary and Coke with warm nuts.

Halibut with fennel(?) in tomato sauce and the “famous” cauliflower “salad” with grapes.

Very spartan cheese plate

Ice cream

Pre-arrival vegetable with couscous
I took this same flight last week -- I chose poorly -- the pizza puck thing... Agree that the salad is awful -- but how was the cheese? To me the cheese looked the best lol! And I still can't get over that someone who spends $5k++ on a business class ticket with UA gets a muffin in a bag....
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Wow! You got cheese AND ice cream!!??

Very fortunate you are!!

🙄🙄
Buster and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by tcdtcd

Very fortunate you are!!

🙄🙄
The farce is strong with this one Obiwan....
tcdtcd and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tcdtcd

Very fortunate you are!!

🙄🙄
Haha ...I just politely asked if they have any extra ice creams, and the FA brought me one in 30 seconds.
MatthewLAX and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Haha ...I just politely asked if they have any extra ice creams, and the FA brought me one in 30 seconds.
Was that from economy class or were they also serving those ones in business too instead of in the nicely presented bowls?

I will say I LOVE that Belgian chocolate truffle ice cream!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was that from economy class or were they also serving those ones in business too instead of in the nicely presented bowls?

I will say I LOVE that Belgian chocolate truffle ice cream!
This tub of ice cream was the one presented as one of the Polaris dessert options other two being the cheese plate and some sort of cake.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
OH NO! My ZRH - ORD flight in October leaves at 9:50 AM. Bummer. Will the FA's microwave a slice of pizza if I bring one on board??? (just kidding) . . . . . Sorry to hear about VS although I did notice one male FA on my flight a few years back with the really tasty food, who spent nearly the entire flight chatting with a couple of women. There was an 'seat' - like an ottoman, that he sat on. Blocked the way to the lav.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Jun 28, 2022 at 6:03 pm Reason: addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.