2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Jun 24, 22, 10:22 am

Quick report from my husband, who was on LAX-LHR last night...

No PDB, no duvet, just a blanket. Food described as "prison quality," with bad, surly service to match (he ordered a coffee with cream for breakfast and got black tea, for example). We usually fly BA or sometimes even AA, but thought we'd try something new because those have both been pretty poor. Let's just say we won't be making that mistake again. I'm flying out to meet him next weekend on UA and not looking forward to this at all.
sgtbalski likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Eat in the Polaris lounge.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Quick report from my husband, who was on LAX-LHR last night...

No PDB, no duvet, just a blanket. Food described as "prison quality," with bad, surly service to match (he ordered a coffee with cream for breakfast and got black tea, for example). We usually fly BA or sometimes even AA, but thought we'd try something new because those have both been pretty poor. Let's just say we won't be making that mistake again. I'm flying out to meet him next weekend on UA and not looking forward to this at all.
Which cabin, economy, premium plus or Polaris?
Old Jun 24, 22, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Which cabin, economy, premium plus or Polaris?
Polaris.

And he did eat in the lounge beforehand, but wanted breakfast toward the end of the flight. He had the strange "two yogurt and an egg hockey puck" breakfast offering.
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
I could tolerate the onboard food and service if UA was the cheapest, but it has not been all year. I just bought a business class ticket on BA for $1200 less than the cheapest on UA.com. And I will get Do&Co catering.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Polaris.

And he did eat in the lounge beforehand, but wanted breakfast toward the end of the flight. He had the strange "two yogurt and an egg hockey puck" breakfast offering.
I can empathize with him. I pretty much refuse the breakfast on UA and wait until I get to an arrivals lounge or buy something in the terminal.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
UA928 LHR-ORD 24-June

Departure meal

Arrival meal: Burger bun was dried out/over cooked.

no PDB, and usual sub standard food. LHR crew were great though… so nice to see FA’s between the first and last 60 minutes. This crew made regular sweeps through the cabin cleaning up & offering drinks. Wish all United crews were this good… I cringe when it’s a EWR crew…

my latest gripe… getting tired of lumpy, past end of life saks duvets… first world problems I know, but for a premium product they need replacing ASAP. Cost cutting no doubt, but some of them are beginning to feel like a bag of potatoes!
FLYMSY, rch4u, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: AC E35K, UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite
IAD-LHR and Return

Outbound IAD to LHR, UA 924

Dinner choice was beef, fish, chicken and two vegetarian dishes I didn’t catch. Elected not to eat but sleep instead as I had eaten in Polaris Lounge. PDB was some sort of sparkling wine only. No menus.

Breakfast was apple something (pancakes maybe?) or “baked” eggs with bacon. I had the eggs which was actually sort of poached with cooked yolk. It was very good. It came with yogurt and another dish with granola/yogurt. As others mentioned, weird to have two yogurt sides on same tray. Also a warmed croissant in plastic.

crew was attentive and friendly. Mattress pads were available and we were also given slippers after one of the folks asked about PJs (they might have found some for him anyway).

LHR-IAD UA919

Lunch was choice of Halibut, beef, chicken or vegetarian (forgot the choice). I had the Halibut which was good with the arrabiata sauce. The cauliflower side tasted fine but i picked around the grapes and raisins. Definitely does not look appealing. The pretzel roll was warm and the crew served warm nuts first with drink choices. No PDB but we were very late boarding. No menus. I guess United has not brought hot towels back either.

pre-arrival was choice of couscous with Mediterranean vegetables or hamburger. Chose the former which was good. Came with good fruit bowl and so-so prepackaged oatmeal raisin cookie.

crew was friendly and checked on folks occasionally. Cheese-it’s, gummie bears, pirate booty were available along with bottled water in the galley mid-flight.
evol likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:16 am

Programs: AA: CK
That "salad" has gotta go.
Old Jun 25, 22, 10:27 pm

How often do you find that they run out of all of the meal choices on Polaris? I think it happened to me once but I don't fly Polaris often. The reason i am asking is because i was thinking about sitting towards the back of Polaris to be close to my family in PE, but I am worried they will run out of choices by the time they get to the last row on Polaris.

Also, a side question: If the second leg of your trip is Polaris but the first leg of the trip before the layover is Economy, will you be able to go to the Polaris lounge at the departure airport of the first leg?
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Also, a side question: If the second leg of your trip is Polaris but the first leg of the trip before the layover is Economy, will you be able to go to the Polaris lounge at the departure airport of the first leg?
Yes, as the second leg is Polaris on UA. ✈️

Edited to add: You will not be able to invite any guests to join you.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Jun 25, 22 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
How often do you find that they run out of all of the meal choices on Polaris? I think it happened to me once but I don't fly Polaris often. The reason i am asking is because i was thinking about sitting towards the back of Polaris to be close to my family in PE, but I am worried they will run out of choices by the time they get to the last row on Polaris. ....
Last rows for non-1K, GS -- will all choices be gone, no. Will most choices be gone, yes.
Old Jun 26, 22, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
my latest gripe… getting tired of lumpy, past end of life saks duvets…
Indeed: I come across more and more washed-/thinned out ones now.
And then those flimsy earplugs in the ammenity kit, which don't seal and hardly keep out surrounding noise!

Originally Posted by littlea905 View Post
Lunch was choice of Halibut, beef, chicken or vegetarian (forgot the choice). I had the Halibut which was good with the arrabiata sauce.
Found the halibut with this sauce pretty tasty as well. Some veggie or stark alongside would be nice.
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Are meals to deep South America (EZE) from IAH the same as European flights?
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:29 pm
HAF

Yes or worse, - here are some pictures from my IAH-EZE a couple months ago:

The only saving grace - was the Polaris lounge at SFO and IAH where we took full advantage of the sit down restaurant and great drinks.

A few weeks after taking these pictures I traveled on Qatar from SFO to India and words can not describe how different my experience on meals (and everything else!) was. United should be ashamed; now with their planes full there is zero excuse for their sad condition of their catering.

Search this Thread