Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
How does Polaris J food (& drinks) compare to UA's main American counterparts (i.e. AA, DL)?
I’m having AA 2.5 hour morning flights that serve better food than what I’m seeing in these photos
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Ord-ams 6-15-22

Sorry about the blue hue in the pics.

Orders taken during boarding. No PDB offered, no "Thanks for being a GS, 1K whatever member", nada.

Offering was "beef rib", "tur-BOT" or something veg which I didn't listen to. Turbot ordered. Desert was ice cream cup or fruit and cheese plate. The latter ordered with the plan to have a glass of scotch and go to sleep.

Announcement was made that dinner would be served after take-off and each customer was allowed "ONE drink at a time" in a stern voice

Received a drink after take-off and a half full ramekin of mostly almonds (ice cold).

Food tasted OK but the fish couldn't have been more than 2-3 ounces. Maybe 2" x 2"? Served with salmon, edamame, watermelon and spinach salad.

Fruit and cheese plate

Scotch never came. Overall, service was perfunctory at the very best. Senior crew who seemed more concerned with getting the service done as quickly as possible and then going into hiding.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:31 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Flew 46 Sunday/Monday and food was...edible. I gave my GS choice to my kids and took whatever was left as I have had all of them anyway. This is the first time I have had them bring a paper with pictures of all four entree/mains choices for ordering. They covered up the unavailable with post it notes as they went around. Ice cream sundae was much larger than previous ones and good. No after dinner beverage service or offer of port, Bailey's etc.

Breakfast was crepes, or friend avocado and egg with Turkey bacon.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
June 20 SFO-SYD

MileageMinus and gioannis13 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
They’ve given up giving a damn.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: UA
June 21st UA 3 ORD-ZRH:
Chicago based crew. No PDB, purser came around to collect dinner orders before departure. No menu, but she showed us a print out she had which worked I guess. We had toasted nuts and a drink before dinner was served. I asked for champagne and the FA nearly asked to see an ID. Dinner was served somewhere over Ontario/Quebec. Choice of short ribs, turbot, and two vegetarian options. I had the turbot. Bread was nice and toasty.

For dessert, we had a choice of ice cream, a custard tart, or a cheese plate. I had the custard tart. I asked if I could have another dessert and was informed that I could after everyone had gotten their first dessert. I ended up not taking the FA up on the offer. Breakfast was served somewhere over the English Channel. We had the choice of baked avocado and egg or apple crepes. I chose the baked avocado and egg.

The "croissant" was lukewarm, and I found it odd that there were two yogurt items. Overall, I would say that the service was good, while the food was mediocre. I feel bad for the FAs; they aren't given very much to work with.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by angetenar
June 21st UA 3 ORD-ZRH:
Chicago based crew. No PDB, purser came around to collect dinner orders before departure. No menu, but she showed us a print out she had which worked I guess. We had toasted nuts and a drink before dinner was served. I asked for champagne and the FA nearly asked to see an ID. Dinner was served somewhere over Ontario/Quebec. Choice of short ribs, turbot, and two vegetarian options. I had the turbot. Bread was nice and toasty.

For dessert, we had a choice of ice cream, a custard tart, or a cheese plate. I had the custard tart. I asked if I could have another dessert and was informed that I could after everyone had gotten their first dessert. I ended up not taking the FA up on the offer. Breakfast was served somewhere over the English Channel. We had the choice of baked avocado and egg or apple crepes. I chose the baked avocado and egg.

The "croissant" was lukewarm, and I found it odd that there were two yogurt items. Overall, I would say that the service was good, while the food was mediocre. I feel bad for the FAs; they aren't given very much to work with.
Twin turbot for you! Mine was a single :-)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I had the new grilled chicken with pumpkin risotto on my MAD-IAD flight today. It was very tasty. The cauliflower and grape salad was a big miss. I actually like both of those foods but together? It was not nice.

Did not have the desserts but did have the cheese plate. Wish they would go back to the pre-COVID standard for the cheese and assorted crackers.

The midflight snacks are not choices i would ever make so had a second cheese plate for a midflight snack.

The arrival dish was vegetable couscous which although unappealing to look at was quite tasty. The "pizza" was a disappointment.

Great purser.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The arrival dish was vegetable couscous which although unappealing to look at was quite tasty. The "pizza" was a disappointment.
The couscous is the clear winner over the "Beef Wellington burger" .... but then again, so is skipping the meal. (I've enjyed the couscous when I've had it.)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The couscous is the clear winner over the "Beef Wellington burger" .... but then again, so is skipping the meal. (I've enjyed the couscous when I've had it.)
And I have enjoyed the "Beef Wellington Burger" when I've had it...def not a clear winner in everyone's mind.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: UAMP
First Polaris Dining Experience

I flew UA 930 SFO- LHR last week and was quite interested on how "bad" the soft product would really be as this was my first time in Polaris. I hear and see all of the poor reviews on here but I'm not a picky eater and I don't really expect restaurant quality food on board. I'm thinking most of the J travelers on here are used to eating at expensive restaurants, etc., and my basic palate would enjoy the food.

Well, it was worse than I could have imagined. Beef option for dinner, egg option for breakfast. I've have frozen microwave dinners with more flavor than the beef serving and the potatoes tasted sad. Seriously, economy class meals on foreign airlines have been better. As far as breakfast, the military served better eggs than whatever that circular thing was. I skipped the dose of BPA from the plastic bag melted around the "Croissant".

Flight attendants were great, but I just couldn't believe the food was THAT bad. I believe everyone now.

Hopefully UA 59 will be better?
Batman's brother and zeer0 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2022 at 10:40 am Reason: split post
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Currently in flight from FRA to EWR - I never order the food any more but just had to see if it’s as bad as everyone reports - and it is! The chicken was so dry it took an entire (mini) bottle of Tabasco to choke it down - whoever invented the salad should be fired - and the bread was awful / as was the frozen butter. The crew today is very junior - almost like a training flight - but loved their enthusiasm - and also their honesty about how embarrassing the food is….

ETA - here is the arrival meal - the pizza is horrible but the fruit was decent - I didn’t try the muffin because hostess called from the 80’s and asked for it back….

Hate to admit it - but i miss the” burger”….
goodeats21 and gioannis13 like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jun 23, 2022 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Flew IAH-FRA and AMS-IAH last week. Honestly, the menu items look decent on paper (not the menu because covid says we cant have menus still but saw it on the paper the pursor was carrying), but everything was absolutely terrible. 2 vegetarian options now and neither were pasta, which generally does well for airplane food.

IAH-FRA went with the short rib..... however, it wasnt short rib. It was a "filet" that that appeared to have been cooked for about 17 days. Just beyond terrible. Chose the eggs on arrival..... I honestly couldnt tell what I was eating. came with a fried avocado as well. Inedible. And the "egg" was.... I dont even know what it was but it was 1 egg and I have no idea how it was cooked.... fired? baked? I have no idea.

AMS-IAH - again, 2 veggies options, no pasta. I went with the chicken. terrible. arrival was a pizza which was probably the best thing I ate on either flight but I wouldnt pay $.50 for it from a grocery store.

I know they are trying out new things but sometimes its best to stick to the basics.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sgtbalski
I respect y'alls thoughts on this- maybe I should have taken a different approach. Next time

Although, in my defense, my UA flight attendant friend told me to just take it with me... so I'm 9.5/10 guilty
A couple on our May FCO-ORD flight took ALL the Polaris bedding. While we were waiting to deplane, the flight attendant called them out and said it wasn't theirs to take. The guy's response: "I paid $5000 for this flight so it's mine." Everyone was dumbfounded.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by avi8tir

IAH-FRA went with the short rib..... however, it wasnt short rib. It was a "filet" that that appeared to have been cooked for about 17 days. Just beyond terrible. Chose the eggs on arrival..... I honestly couldnt tell what I was eating. came with a fried avocado as well. Inedible. And the "egg" was.... I dont even know what it was but it was 1 egg and I have no idea how it was cooked.... fired? baked? I have no idea.
UA has long had a loose definition of what constitutes a short rib. Further confused by the many times that the FAs tend to just say "ribs"
sgtbalski likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.