Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:01 am

Recent Flight: SFO-SYD (777-300ER)

PDB was a choice between Champagne and OJ.

Dinner service was a choice between Short Rib, Salmon and "Vegetarian Chili." I chose the short rib and it was served with an Asian-style side salad with sesame ginger dressing and a bread roll. Barely passable - I've had better food at Denny's. Dessert was a choice between pre-made sundae (which I chose and was decent - hard to screw up ice cream) and a cheese plate.

Breakfast was equally as underwhelming, choice between oatmeal and egg whites & sausages. I got the egg whites & sausage, which along with the packaged croissant, tasted so artificial it was hard to keep down.

No hot snacks available mid-flight, snacks choices were Cheez-Its, Pretzels or Stroopwafel.

Purser was excellent - came and personally introduced himself while explaining the service flow for the flight, offered PJs and slippers to each pax, helped make sure everyone was comfortable when most were preparing to sleep. On the other hand, the other FAs were rather surly and were trying their hardest not to say a word to any passenger and standoffish for no discernible reason. Needless to say they were on the "senior" side of things.

While Polaris is a fantastic hard product, it is very sad that United continues to give its passengers the middle finger by choosing visibly unhappy FAs to serve slop on premium routes.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:32 am
HAF

Originally Posted by victoremsemper

While Polaris is a fantastic hard product, it is very sad that United continues to give its passengers the middle finger by choosing visibly unhappy FAs to serve slop on premium routes.
And based on loads and earnings this seems to work for United. The only way to change United's approach is to stop flying with them.

I flew them recently SFO-IAH-EZE and back and same observations as yours - but I had no other choice to EZE that would be any better, plus I got an unbelievably low rate for business. BTW the Polaris clubs at SFO and IAH helped elevate the experience a bit if there is a bright side to United.

For all my trips to India/Asia - I am QR all the way... it is like a different universe.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Menus? What menus? Flew IAD-ZRH well after the June 1 start date of the new service. There were no menus offered on this flight. FA came around my side of the aisle and was showing everyone what he hand wrote on the side of his sheet as to what the menu was. Choices were beef short rib, some white fish and two different vegetarian options. I had just eaten in the IAD Polaris lounge so wasn't terribly hungry. He warned me that the vegetarian samosa (whatever it's called) was a very small plate. I took that.

Everything came out on a single tray. No appetizer. The portion of the samosa was definitely small but fine for me. The bread was surprisingly not frozen but of course the butter was. Salad was pathetic looking. And I have absolutely despised the "balsamic vinaigrette" from day 1. It's basically pepper dressing. Please stop serving this nonsense!

Drink cart came around and I was given warm nuts and whatever I wanted to drink. Nothing to report here.

-RM
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:12 pm

And don’t get me started on the BS front to back delivery of food that is out of options by the last row. Or the fact they will take my order as a Gs but refuse to take my wife who is sitting next to me.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
UA 931 ORD-LHR 10-June

menus are back!!! 🙄
evol likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Dyce

menus are back!!! 🙄
Also shows that this set of meals repeats again in October and February (at this point) for USA-Europe - every 3 4 months.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 10, 2022 at 6:30 pm Reason: tpyo
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
Also shows that this set of meals repeats again in October and February (at this point) for USA-Europe - every 3 months.

David
I think you meant every four months. Regardless, if we are indeed getting new menus in July (and August and September), I'll take that as a positive.
evol likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192
I think you meant every four months. Regardless, if we are indeed getting new menus in July (and August and September), I'll take that as a positive.
oop.s. fixedish.

David
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
10-June UA 931 ORD-LHR

All I’ll say is that it definitely wasn’t Kobe beef 😁

New amenity kit - hard sided but will easily crush due to cloth hinge / zipper

Decent flight - FA’s were good but disappeared immediately after service. No IFE or free messaging the entire flight. Purser announced we’d get a compensation email but nothing so far. (I’ve received these before landing in the past). No greeting from purser (not even sure who the purser was!).

Salad/appetizer was a step up, but I found the FA offering/showing me a tray of 3 desserts a little weird. Had the cheese plate which was probably the best part of the meal. I usually skip breakfast & this flight was no exception…

Status not recognized / not addressed by name but that’s not an issue for me. (Nice when it happens, but rarely happens. In fact the only time I consistently get thanked for being GS is when I enter UC’s/PL’s.)

No priority baggage tags in CMH for over a month now…
CApreppie and gioannis13 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:23 am

Ewr-lhr morning flight 10/6

Apple crepes, brought as is on single tray. Tasted good - nice and light. Only disappointing aspect was bread roll thingy which should be swapped to a croissant or something...
IndyHoosier and gioannis13 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree - a finite menu set that rotated monthly was the old standard and I thought it was fine.

Now if only quality would go back to Polaris launch standards too..
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by contractor
Ewr-lhr morning flight 10/6

Apple crepes, brought as is on single tray. Tasted good - nice and light. Only disappointing aspect was bread roll thingy which should be swapped to a croissant or something...
This actually looks decent for a breakfast offering - you received cereal AND crepes?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:09 pm

Just to contribute a before/after.

May 15th, SFO-TPE

No PDB, warm nuts after cruising altitude

Short rib

Egg thing?

June 10th, TPE-SFO

Water or champagne PDB

Warm nuts

No menus, but the flight attendant taking orders was showing pictures of the unplated meals in their heating trays lol. Beef that wasn't the stringy shortrib

Dessert tray had a cake, a cheese plate, or ice cream with a strawberry sauce

Honestly I actually preferred the pre-June breakfast because it had a yogurt.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This actually looks decent for a breakfast offering - you received cereal AND crepes?
I agree. It honestly looks like a Delta meal.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by contractor
Only disappointing aspect was bread roll thingy which should be swapped to a croissant or something...
Isn't that UAs version of a croissant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.