Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Ice cream should be served at the correct temperature, but I kind of like the soupy half-metaled ice cream. YMMV.

I'm much more distressed about the fact that we can only take one, not have two or three options.
If it is between rock hard and soupy, I also go for soupy; like a milkshake; those do exist. It's a bit big to be a popsicle.

Yes, I always go for both dessert options. I really hope that was an isolated incident.
I wonder what would have happened if you asked for an economy meal in addition to what you get in J.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:43 pm

That fish actually looks pretty good...the cauliflower bowl looks not great.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
05JUN MUC-IAH
Lunch choices of short rib, chicken with risotto, halibut with red sauce, and something vegetarian. I had the halibut, was pretty decent. Dessert choice of cheese plate, vanilla pudding, and chocolate pie, which was fine.
Pre-arrival cheeseburger Wellington or some
Kind of salad
I don't know what is in the bowl on the left, but it looks oddly like what we serve our parrots and cockatiels....none of whom have ever spent $8,000 on an airline ticket.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
05JUN MUC-IAH

The chocolate cake in the shape of a teardrop, symbolically mourning the loss of the pre-pandemic Polaris service elements.
PTahCha, dw, elitefreak and 13 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
June 6 2022 FCO-EWR (12:55pm departure)
PDB sparking wine or water.
Warmed nuts came with dinner drink service.
Choices were halibut with arrabiata sauce, short rib, herb chicken and celeriac with kale. The halibut was exactly what it sounds like - pretty plain halibut with some red sauce next to it, it was alright, pretty light. My daughter got the celeriac for some reason (I think the flight attendant said it was celery). Pretzel rolls were warm but pretty dry and hard. Cauliflower salad was a little unusual, mostly ate the grapes and dried fruit and nuts that were mixed in and left most cauliflower behind.

halibut

celeriac

ice cream

couscous

pizza
Dessert options included ice cream cup (mine looked like they dug it out of the tundra but it was soft inside), also cheese plate (snagged one of those later (3 cheeses with prunes and dried apricots, it was pretty ok) and an apricot tart that was like a muffin in a tart shell (snagged one of those later, it was mostly like a packaged muffin).
Pre arrival food included pizza or warm couscous veggie plate with fruit and packaged muffin. my daughter wouldn't touch her pizza, it did look like a microwave pizza, the couscous was just ok (mostly eggplant, i wouldnt order it if you dont like eggplant)
gioannis13 and Nanagose like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Here I was hoping United would up their game. The food looks worse. Amazing.....I think there is a very concerted effort to force Polaris customers to use the lounge ahead of time and eat there so they worry less about on-board catering.
Whoever came up with the cauliflower salad ought to barred from making culinary decisions for UA. Cauliflower is NOT a mass market vegetable, and for good reason.

​​​​​​Many children, as well as adults, dislike Brassica vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. For some people, enzymes from these vegetables and from bacteria in saliva can produce unpleasant, sulphurous odours in the mouth. Now, researchers reporting in the American Chemical Society’s Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry have found that levels of these volatile compounds are similar in parent-child pairs, suggesting shared oral microbiomes. They also found that high levels cause children to dislike the vegetables. Brassica vegetables contain a compound called S-methyl-ʟ-cysteine sulfoxide that produces potent, sulphurous odours when acted upon by an enzyme in the plant’s tissues, as well as by the same enzyme produced by bacteria in some people’s oral microbiomes.
Don't like cauliflower? Blame your parents! - New Food Magazine

I get it that people get tired of greens, but cauliflower? Yuck.
Boraxo and Unimatrix One like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by greenpau
The chocolate cake in the shape of a teardrop, symbolically mourning the loss of the pre-pandemic Polaris service elements.
I was more curious about how much cake is being wasted because of the shape. It looks like it is cut into the shape vs molded.
Still, much preferred over a mini candy bar.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sari75
June 6 2022 FCO-EWR (12:55pm departure)
PDB sparking wine or water.
Warmed nuts came with dinner drink service.
Choices were halibut with arrabiata sauce, short rib, herb chicken and celeriac with kale. The halibut was exactly what it sounds like - pretty plain halibut with some red sauce next to it, it was alright, pretty light. My daughter got the celeriac for some reason (I think the flight attendant said it was celery). Pretzel rolls were warm but pretty dry and hard. Cauliflower salad was a little unusual, mostly ate the grapes and dried fruit and nuts that were mixed in and left most cauliflower behind.

halibut

celeriac

ice cream

couscous

pizza
Dessert options included ice cream cup (mine looked like they dug it out of the tundra but it was soft inside), also cheese plate (snagged one of those later (3 cheeses with prunes and dried apricots, it was pretty ok) and an apricot tart that was like a muffin in a tart shell (snagged one of those later, it was mostly like a packaged muffin).
Pre arrival food included pizza or warm couscous veggie plate with fruit and packaged muffin. my daughter wouldn't touch her pizza, it did look like a microwave pizza, the couscous was just ok (mostly eggplant, i wouldnt order it if you dont like eggplant)
That entire meal looks horrific. Every component looks dried out and just ugh...

Also, thought the cafeteria cups of ice cream were supposed to be banished after June 1?
rch4u, IndyHoosier and zeer0 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Here's my UA935 LHR-LAX Polaris dining experience on June 2, 2022:

First off, the food in the United Club at LHR is really good.

(roasted chicken [with honey, thyme, and mustard] and cottage pie)

I'm glad I brought my own lemon and lime wedges onboard (pinched from the Club)

I ordered halibut and thought it was rather fishy and underwhelming. I'm not a fan of the salad.

Dessert choices:

I was told I could only have one.

Ice cream was tasty - good quality vanilla ice cream and nice brownie bites. Served at the proper temperature as well.

Mid-flight snacks:

I was so happy to see that cake, which was really delicious - not too sweet, but rich and buttery.

Pre-arrival meal still vegetables with couscous and pesto sauce or cheeseburger. Unlike others, my burger was not gray and very delicious.

Overall, I'd say the food represents a slight improvement, but the main course was disappointing and the cauliflower salad, while not revolting, is no match for a nice green salad.

I love the desserts and hope that UA provisions enough for peckish passengers to have all three...

(more commentary and photos here - link to blog)
artvandalay and gioannis13 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Off topic: I think that the FA was nicely dressed. Her outfit/dress reminds me of Air NZ.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Off topic: I think that the FA was nicely dressed. Her outfit/dress reminds me of Air NZ.
A couple of FAs were wearing the Hawaiian aprons - I was surprised. This was an LAX-based crew, not LHR-based.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A couple of FAs were wearing the Hawaiian aprons - I was surprised. This was an LAX-based crew, not LHR-based.
So now we're down to one dessert only? Although it seems you had both pre-arrival meals.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So now we're down to one dessert only? Although it seems you had both pre-arrival meals.
Yes, though I was told I had to wait until 30 minutes prior to landing to see if anyone else "would wake up" and want a burger...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Here's my UA935 LHR-LAX Polaris dining experience on June 2, 2022:

First off, the food in the United Club at LHR is really good.

Overall, I'd say the food represents a slight improvement, but the main course was disappointing and the cauliflower salad, while not revolting, is no match for a nice green salad.

I love the desserts and hope that UA provisions enough for peckish passengers to have all three...

(more commentary and photos here - link to blog)
The food in the LHR UA Club has always been good, and it's great that I don't need to sneak a cake or pieces of fruit from there in a Ziploc bag any more.

I, too, just would prefer a crisp green salad. Still the part of the meal service I miss the most, and I mostly don't eat the sliced fruit bowls. The cheese plate in particular looks like a really big step forward - all in terms of quality, selection, and portion size. The cheese plate has not looked this good since the old days of having cheese cut from the cheeseboard, except out of ZRH where it is close to impossible to mess up Swiss dairy of any kind.

Ruh-roh on the Hawaii aprons ... looks like they may have been reassigned from a Hawaii flight if a few had them. Doesn't even look like the regular UA uniform Hawaii apron?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
FRA-IAD 7 June 1220 pm 773 seat 17L

Choices same as in Matthew’s post above except burger replaced with pizza.

PDB of OJ or champagne. No menus. New amenity kit.

For some reason I got skipped on the nuts and pre-meal beverage but FA apologized profusely and was fantastic the rest of the flight. Ordered the halibut. The cauliflower salad came out first because “the cook” (that’s what a different FA called himself as he came to explain the delay) said the halibut needed more time in the oven. Fine with me. As for the salad, I put myself in the camp of those who find it an odd choice. It might make a decent complement to a green salad but not a replacement. Pretzel roll was warmed and plated, while bread basket came around once thereafter (only had pretzel rolls, the size of which has plainly been Kirbied).

I thought the halibut was well presented but bland. A bit of a disappointment.

By far the highlight of this meal was the “sundae”. While a far cry from the pre-pandemic cart service, it was tasty and served at the appropriate temperature.

Unlike Matthew, I did not see extra desserts in the snack area. Just baskets of Cheez-Its, paprika-flavored chips (pictured below) and regulation-size Kit Kat bars.

Pre-arrival was choice of pizza or couscous. Given some of the laughable recent pizza photos, I went with the couscous, which was fine.

For comparison, I can’t help but show what LH served on the 35-minute flight from Salzburg to Frankfurt on an E190.

dw, goodeats21 and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.