2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Jan 19, 22, 12:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.02MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Just my two cents, but I find this very hard to believe. I've flown to LHR so much on UA before and during the pandemic and have always found the LHR-based crews to be the best in the system. Most are proactive, attentive, and generally outshine US-based crew members.

That's not to say I have not had excellent crews from SFO as well (I certainly have), but it just seems strange to me and leads me to doubt what the FA said was actually true.

I appreciate that LHR-based crews have always, IME, taken the time to describe the menu options, never just "beef, fish, or pasta?" like the EWR or IAH ex-Con folks.
Following up on this - I fly SFO-LHR more than any other route. SF is home, I’m London born, my family is there, and my work EU HQ is in London as well. I love the LHR crews, and know many of them by name, and they know me. My point was not one of their service style and approach - they are impeccably polite - but the Polaris staffing reductions are a huge issue for the base, and you can see that from AFA Union LHR Chapter updates and discussions regarding “essential” versus “optional” elements of the service flow, eg PDB, single tray. The High-J 76L runs half of the LHR schedule, and that Polaris staffing has been cut in half from pre-Covid. FAs are closing ranks as workload is increased, but staffing not restored. Every time a crew works together for the first time, they need to agree specifics on how they want to do the service and work together. My point from the story upthread was that when a mixed-based crew operates a flight, that can conflict with local base union positions / sentiments. What the SFO Purser in my last flight described to me on disagreements in service flow seems plausible.
greytop13 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greenpau View Post
Following up on this - I fly SFO-LHR more than any other route. SF is home, I’m London born, my family is there, and my work EU HQ is in London as well. I love the LHR crews, and know many of them by name, and they know me. My point was not one of their service style and approach - they are impeccably polite - but the Polaris staffing reductions are a huge issue for the base, and you can see that from AFA Union LHR Chapter updates and discussions regarding “essential” versus “optional” elements of the service flow, eg PDB, single tray. The High-J 76L runs half of the LHR schedule, and that Polaris staffing has been cut in half from pre-Covid. FAs are closing ranks as workload is increased, but staffing not restored. Every time a crew works together for the first time, they need to agree specifics on how they want to do the service and work together. My point from the story upthread was that when a mixed-based crew operates a flight, that can conflict with local base union positions / sentiments. What the SFO Purser in my last flight described to me on disagreements in service flow seems plausible.
More evidence that the cutback in Polaris service is being driven by Kirby cutting personnel costs, not because of COVID.
Old Jan 19, 22, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
ETA: You asked for February, not January. February menu has not been finalized. Will update when finalized. Could well be a carryover from January.

January 2022 Menu
  • Beef tenderloin
    • Bernaise sauce, oven roasted fingerling potatoes, roasted carrots, celery and parsnip.
  • Smoked paprika chicken
    • Couscous with almonds, raisins and apricots, butternut squash tajine
  • Buffalo Mozzarella Panciotti
    • with tomato sauce and roasted tomatoes
All served with mixed nuts in porcelain ramekin, salad (mixed greens, mango), individually wrapped bread, dessert

Pre-Arrival:
  • Wellington burger: beef patty wrapped in pastry dough
  • Herb & Citrus Cous Cous w/ Mediterranean Grilled Vegetables with pesto sauce
(same menu for all UK/Europe lunch/dinner departures in 1/22)
Yep. Exactly the options I had LHR-EWR this weekend. But wasn't exactly described like this on board.

Crazy ridiculous that this is not available on the app or website or something.

Originally Posted by greenpau View Post
This is a perfect summary of current condition / issues. All the crap about essential workers, close contact with public every workday, and yet United is squeezing them to handle more work with less people.

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
More evidence that the cutback in Polaris service is being driven by Kirby cutting personnel costs, not because of COVID.
Yes.
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Yesterday's LHR->EWR flight had a separate, first course with beverage of choice along with warm mixed nuts. FA's took carts down the aisle, which I hadn't seen in years...literally. Anyone else seeing this now? Possibly it was just some initiative from a stellar crew, as they were very service oriented throughout.

Will try to post some pics later.

Pics from this flight.
Separate drink / mixed nut service was a HUGE improvement.
The yellow blob in the middle of the entre dish was a small piece of beef covered in sauce.

Carfield likes this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Pics from this flight.
The yellow blob in the middle of the entre dish was a small piece of beef covered in sauce.

I've started getting the couscous over the wellington lately. A little lighter. Plus I may plan to have the burger in the PL lounge and even though it's been cut back, it's still better than the wellington.
In the past, I've gotten the wellington because I will usually choose chicken over beef if offered and when the chicken comes with couscous, I don't really want to have the same thing twice.

Nut service is a step in the right direction, still a far cry from getting a sundae from the dessert cart. If AA can do it on domestic, UA should be able to do it on intl.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt-ist, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
BOM-EWR UA49

Was the brownie served like that directly on the tray liner? One would think United could use a plate or at least paper doily to prevent it from sitting directly on the fabric of the tray liner. I know, probably small issue in the grand scheme of things…
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by travelingman79 View Post
Was the brownie served like that directly on the tray liner? One would think United could use a plate or at least paper doily to prevent it from sitting directly on the fabric of the tray liner. I know, probably small issue in the grand scheme of things…
As someone who likes everything to be on a plate — I notice this happen often with United's service, usually the bread rolls, sometimes sweets.
Old Jan 19, 22, 7:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Pics from this flight.

We should celebrate the tiny amount of progress at UA.

If you did not mention the "yellow blob," the FTers would scream for "Where was the beef???"

When I took AA's MIA-GRU flight last December, the service was similar to UA's pre-pandemic. 1) nuts + drink, 2) appetizers and salad, 3) main dish, and 4) desert. But the food quality was higher and size of beef was larger.

Last edited by Kmxu; Jan 19, 22 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 19, 22, 7:24 pm

Nrt-sfo; sfo-nrt

These are from my flights this past weekend. Food was good. I wish the galley attendants would make the appearance a little neater, but small things to be concerned with. Very nice to relax in the Polaris Lounge and enjoy almost the full Polaris experience as it was pre pandemic.

UA838 NRT-SFO
I choose the chicken entree for dinner, and the fish option for pre arrival

UA 837 SFO-NRT
Tried something different this time and went with the pasta option and then the frittata for pre arrival

Old Jan 19, 22, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trust77 View Post
These are from my flights this past weekend. Food was good. I wish the galley attendants would make the appearance a little neater, but small things to be concerned with. Very nice to relax in the Polaris Lounge and enjoy almost the full Polaris experience as it was pre pandemic.

UA838 NRT-SFO

UA 837 SFO-NRT
Tried something different this time and went with the pasta option and then the frittata for pre arrival

How were the meals in terms of edibleness?

David
Old Jan 19, 22, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
How were the meals in terms of edibleness?

David
They were all fine. The winner for me was that breakfast frittata on the SFO-NRT segment. I should have asked for another one as it was only me and another passenger in the B-Zone Polaris Cabin
Old Jan 19, 22, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
They were all fine. The winner for me was that breakfast frittata on the SFO-NRT segment. I should have asked for another one as it was only me and another passenger in the B-Zone Polaris Cabin
Yep, that frittata (I think it's "officially" called a kale and egg puff pastry or similar--there's definitely puff pastry in there) is easily the best UA breakfast I've had in the past several years.
trust77, seanp7 and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 19, 22, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by travelingman79 View Post
Was the brownie served like that directly on the tray liner?…
sorry I should’ve used the original service picture, I just showed it like this so all items could be seen clearly but it was served like this:

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
As someone who likes everything to be on a plate — I notice this happen often with United's service, usually the bread rolls, sometimes sweets.
Yeah especially out of LAX they like to do this but indeed out of BOM it was all packaged up.
travelingman79 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

UA838 NRT-SFO

UA 837 SFO-NRT

So the days of using Japanese tableware for Japanese food on routes to Japan is dead?
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Yep, that frittata (I think it's "officially" called a kale and egg puff pastry or similar--there's definitely puff pastry in there) is easily the best UA breakfast I've had in the past several years.
Agreed! Go the frittata. Had it Dec 29 EWR-GRU:

Search this Thread