Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Gummy Bears?? Fun-size twix bars from another post? It sounds like United is trying to get rid of all their leftover Halloween candy..
Halloween is fitting — UA catering is scary these days.
Winkdaddy likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Presentation is good but geesh that piece of beef looks tiny.
Looks are not deceiving. I don't take particularly big bites, and it was about 4.

If you want to see tiny, though, check out the Y catering.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Curious what you found sub-standard...
Quantity and quality of the food. No hot towel. No choice of PDB. No bread roll choice. No app. No sundae/dessert choice. Limited snack/drink choices set up mid-flight. No Polaris lounge in DEN and horribly overcrowded United Club. First world problems? Yes. Uncompetitive vis a vis other carriers? Very much so.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:11 pm

those are the only snacks? Yikes. ANA menu comparison
Old May 19, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Quantity and quality of the food. No hot towel. No choice of PDB. No bread roll choice. No app. No sundae/dessert choice. Limited snack/drink choices set up mid-flight. No Polaris lounge in DEN and horribly overcrowded United Club. First world problems? Yes. Uncompetitive vis a vis other carriers? Very much so.
I get it...my recent DEN-NRT in Polaris reminded me why I switched to ORD-NRT on ANA the last 3-4 years. The food was bad but not even close to the low point of the experience.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Quick LHR trip to catch some football matches. Absolutely nothing new to report. Both crews were very good, but obviously stretched taking care of so many passengers.
The only mid-flight snack on the flight home was bags of pretzels. And a mini twix bar is now a premium cabin dessert.

ORD->LHR

LHR->EWR

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't mind the wellington thing. And they actually served decent mustard with it.
Also mildly surprised at the pasta dish. I think will be my go-to instead of the meat mains.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, the picture slightly upthread showed it served with a packet of Heinz yellow mustard.

But generally, Continental served more appetizing-looking meals (and heartier) on mid-cons a decade ago. Let alone their BusinessFirst 5-coursers. This is really an embarrassment for international business class.
It was Heinz, but zooming in, shows as "English Mustard - Classic style - Hot"
It was much better than Yellow Mustard.

Originally Posted by cmhua777
Seems the Polaris snacks are the same on every flight. Chips. Salt and vinegar corn nuts. Some fruit. Chocolate bar with sea salt. Gummy bears.
My LHR->EWR in Polaris had only bags of pretzels for mid-flight snack. Seriously.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As the recommended portion of red meat is 2oz, it looks to me to be about 3 times that.
I guess it depends whose standard but most ones I see say 3 oz. or the size of a deck of cards (or a bar of soap). That portion looks about 1/2 to 1/3 of that size, to my eyes.

Last edited by st530; May 21, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old May 21, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Based on the photo of menu posted above (US Outbound to Europe), does this (reference to pajamas) mean all European bound flights get pajamas now?
I asked for some DEN-LHR this week and was told no.

Originally Posted by nyr2299
You and me both. I actually like the wellington, other than the 60 grams of fat and 1,000 calories. I especially like the muffin in a wrapper. That totally justifies the $10,000 they charge for the seat.
I had the Beef Wellington thing for the first time, it was not that bad. Much more satisfying than the main meal.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
May 20 SFO-SYD. Food presentation is average and taste below average. Quality not acceptable.

I started my journey at IAD, so decided to have a full meal at Polaris Lounge knowing SFO has become so unfriendly when it comes to evening services.

Old Fashioned -IAD

Arugula and Fennel Salad -IAD

Polaris Burger -IAD

Cheese Appetizer (ordered as desert)- IAD

Random buffet items -SFO as SFO Polaris Lounge staff is so eager to close the dinning room by 9 pm and clear the hot buffet items by 9:30 pm.
IndyHoosier and gioannis13 like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 22, 2022 at 3:46 am
Old May 22, 2022, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
May 20 SFO-SYD. Food presentation is average and taste below average. Quality not acceptable.

it’s almost as if they are trying to be offensive - colorwise and otherwise…
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
CDG-EWR 22 May 945 am 773 seat 9L

PDB of water or OJ (no champagne on Sunday mornings in France?).

Main was choice of beef, chicken or ravioli. After positive experience with pasta dish EWR-CDG, went with that.

Nuts and beverage service preceded main.

if nuts were warmed, it was hard to tell.

When main came, pretzel roll was a welcome sight (although not warmed). Ravioli was saucy but otherwise unmemorable. Ice cream was chocolate with some tasty mix-ins.

Mid-flight snacks consisted of a basket of chips. I grabbed one and had barely eaten one or two chips when a FA attempted the patented UA transAtlantic mid-flight snatch (this is when the FA rapidly traipses through the aisle like a robot without making eye contact and grabs any empty glasses or other items without asking the passenger if the passenger desires anything to replace it), but I managed to get the bag back. (I can’t blame him for thinking it was empty since it probably holds a total of 8-10 chips).

Pre-arrival was the usual choice or cheeseburger Wellington or vegetable couscous. Got a nice cab to go with it. (Did not see the bottles of either the bubbly or the cab but both were respectable by taste.)

All in all a comfortable and quiet ride. No real complaints.

Last edited by st530; May 23, 2022 at 7:31 am
Old May 22, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Based on the complaints in this thread, I have changed my return flight from Europe this September to Air Canada. I lack faith that the June "upgrades" are substantive. The Toronto connection is preferable to Polaris. I only wish I had this option to Europe. Lufthansa and Brussels are the only alternatives, and UA has the better seat. I am thinking of dining in the Polaris Lounge and trying to sleep as soon as possible.

Last edited by PACLipper; May 22, 2022 at 5:48 pm
Old May 22, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by st530
PDB of water or OJ (no champagne on Sunday mornings in France?).

Main was choice of beef, chicken or ravioli. After positive experience with pasta dish EWR-CDG, went with that.

Nuts and beverage service preceded main.

if nuts were warmed, ir was hard to tell.

When main came, pretzel roll was a welcome sight (although not warmed). Ravioli was saucy but otherwise unmemorable. Ice cream was chocolate with some tasty mix-ins.

Mid-flight snacks consisted of a basket of chips. I grabbed one and had barely eaten one or two chips when a FA attempted the patented UA transAtlantic mid-flight snatch (this is when the FA rapidly traipses through the aisle like a robot without making eye contact and grabs any empty glasses or other items without asking the passenger if the passenger desires anything to replace it), but I managed to get the bag back. (I can’t blame him for thinking it was empty since it probably holds a total of 8-10 chips).

Pre-arrival was the usual choice or cheeseburger Wellington or vegetable couscous. Got a nice cab to go with it. (Did not see the bottles of either the bubbly or the cab but both were respectable by taste.)

All in all a comfortable and quiet ride. No real complaints.
Except for the "patented UA transAtlantic mid-flight snatch".

David
st530 likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by PACLipper
Based on the complaints in this thread, I have changed my return flight from Europe this September to IAD to Air Canada. I lack faith that the June "upgrades" are substantive. The Toronto connection is preferable to Polaris. I only wish I had this option to Europe. Lufthansa and Brussels are the only alternatives, ad UA has the better seat. I am thinking of dining in the Polaris Lounge and trying to sleep as soon as possible.
This is exactly what I'm doing next month. UA Polaris outbound via Europe to an LH connection from FRA. Will eat in the Polaris Lounge at IAD and then skip the plane food. I really wish that more EU flights were in the 10pm bank instead of the 5-6pm bank. It's just too early to sleep and the flights are generally 7-8 hours only. I also don't eat dinner at 4pm but it is what it is.

On the return I'm also doing AC via YUL. Sure, I don't get the Polaris Lounge in EWR, for example, but I have a short connection and likely won't even get to use the MLC, which is fine by me because I remember those being pretty sad.

-RM
PACLipper and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is exactly what I'm doing next month. UA Polaris outbound via Europe to an LH connection from FRA. Will eat in the Polaris Lounge at IAD and then skip the plane food. I really wish that more EU flights were in the 10pm bank instead of the 5-6pm bank. It's just too early to sleep and the flights are generally 7-8 hours only. I also don't eat dinner at 4pm but it is what it is.

On the return I'm also doing AC via YUL. Sure, I don't get the Polaris Lounge in EWR, for example, but I have a short connection and likely won't even get to use the MLC, which is fine by me because I remember those being pretty sad.

-RM
MLL in YYZ was decent pre-Covid. There's a few to choose from.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.