Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I must say both the breakfast and pizza don't look bad at all!
In my opinion, breakfast is usually UA's worst meal, same for most airlines. Something about eggs on a plane, I dont know. As for the "pizza", if you compare it to real pizza, it's garbage. If you compare it to frozen microwave pizza you use to eat in college, it's not bad. As with all of this, you have to set your expectations and know in advance that what you get will be significantly worse than most airlines, including US ones.

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
...I don't see why anyone would take FRA-SFO or FRA-ORD in UA vs LH, for example, based off this food (assuming you had no one next to you on LH).
You answered your own question. I find the Polaris seats to be significantly better than many other airlines. Most people prioritize the hard product over the soft product. Also, if you are like me and only book Y and have UA PP, it's hard to justify flying Y on another airline when you can fly C on UA.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just got off a flight to FRA, purser was very good (some of the others not so great), actually went through each item in detail. She also mention the menu was available on the app. I pulled out my phone and asked her to show me. She couldn't find it, but to my surprise, she said there was a guy on board specifically to make sure this works (Not sure if was there specifically for the menu feature or worked on the app or in charge of this "test program" or whatever). He came over, showed me the spot, he and the purser declared victory and we had a good laugh. Then I went to actually hit the button and nothing happened. He looked surprised, asked to take a photo of the screen and said he'll report the bug back immediately.

Anyways, the new and improved meal service is similar to reported above. Everything looks nicer. Still missing the appetizer. Dessert still isnt back to normal. I'll post photos when I after my trip
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Recently flew EWR-GRU and it's a pretty sad state of affairs in the food department. The "burrito" that is being served on the premium transcon routes seems to have found its way onto Polaris flights. The other two options were "beef" or "salmon". Rock hard sorbet was served on the tray, as well as an ice cold pretzel roll. The snack basket in the galley consisted only of potato chips. Egg white bites with turkey sausage or oatmeal were the breakfast options and it was honestly the best part of the experience.

In other news, the EWR Polaris Lounge was fabulous and it's hard to believe this is the same product.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
IAD-ZRH

IAD-ZRH dinner

IAD-ZRH breakfast

But the best meal from this trip was the Y Swiss flight ZRH-DXB:

LX ZRH-DXB
Carfield, seanp7, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Wow! That's a nice-sized piece of fish! And I noticed a different sauce on it this time around too compared to the usual tasteless sauce they put on it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Wow! That's a nice-sized piece of fish! And I noticed a different sauce on it this time around too compared to the usual tasteless sauce they put on it.
Never confuse kwantity with kwality, there is zero correlation.

Also, those casserole dishes are tiny economy class sized.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by dilanesp
On the other hand, it is extremely tough, which isn't what you are used to with a filet. I liked it but I bet some steak lovers might not.
My dog would've loved it. Whenever I get a tough steak at a restaurant, he profits handsomely.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Never confuse kwantity with kwality, there is zero correlation.

Also, those casserole dishes are tiny economy class sized.
Just curious how the sauce was. And yes those casserole dishes are small and even with that said, my salmon dish from ewr-muc and sfo-del in December had a fish piece half the size of what I see here so still an improvement over what I had.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:45 pm

2/17 UA989 IAD-FRA:

2/23 UA929 LHR-ORD:

It was nice getting things plated better. Ice cream was a bit strange. It was pretty frozen when I got it, then it kind of got this "chewy" texture. The chocolate "sauce" was kind of grainy. Overall I guess it's a step in right direction. Very very slow baby steps.
Carfield likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eng3
It was nice getting things plated better. Ice cream was a bit strange. It was pretty frozen when I got it, then it kind of got this "chewy" texture. The chocolate "sauce" was kind of grainy. Overall I guess it's a step in right direction. Very very slow baby steps.
In addition to the visual appeal of the improved plating, the entree sizes, particularly the fish (?) ex-LHR, appear more generous in the bigger bowl/dish too.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
In addition to the visual appeal of the improved plating, the entree sizes, particularly the fish (?) ex-LHR, appear more generous in the bigger bowl/dish too.
Yes, I agree, portion size is a little more (though still missing the appetizer). Ice cream is missing more topping choice and quality seems worse. Still less dessert choices than pre-pandemic. But they're getting better, closer to domestic TCON standards of their US competitors.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-BOM 27 Feb 625 pm 789 seat 9L

PDB of water, OJ or champagne. Entree choices were chicken, Indian vegetarian, or a third that escapes me (I think fish). I used to like the Indian options in the pre-Covid days so I went with that. Not terrible but not great. One-stop-slop service was back — no separate nuts/drink service pre-meal (I thought that was the new standard or is that just the trial routes?). Champagne was good but never saw the bottle. FA explained all the wine choices (3 white, 3 red). It looked like they attempted to heat the pretzel roll (based on condensation inside the wrapper) but it was not hot (although at least not ice cold). Ice cream swapped out for cookie.
Breakfast was choice of French toast or oatmeal (no Indian option). Went with the reliably excellent oatmeal.

Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by st530
PDB of water, OJ or champagne. Entree choices were chicken, Indian vegetarian, or a third that escapes me (I think fish)....
no separate nuts/drink service pre-meal (I thought that was the new standard or is that just the trial routes?). Champagne was good but never saw the bottle...
Ice cream swapped out for cookie.
Breakfast was choice of French toast or oatmeal (no Indian option). Went with the reliably excellent oatmeal.
3rd option is the salmon you'll find on the European routes. Champagne is Nick on this route. I think the expanded service was just the trial routes.
Looking forward to your pictures on the way back. Do go for the chicken option on the way back, it's by far the best between the lamb, chicken, and veg option
st530 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Flew PVG-ICN-SFO I Polaris today and the ICN-SFO left around midnight local time.

In my experience on this flight, the first meal was a full meal, and the standard arrival breakfast meals were served just before landing at SFO.

Today, the breakfast meal was served soon after taking off from ICN, and the full meal was served before landing. I like this switch around, so I am not filled with food after midnight.

Has this change effective across the board? I have a SFO-SIN flight coming up and would love to have a lighter meal after take off and full meals before landing.
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It appears the three-course meal service plus desserts on select FRA/LHR routes will end today.

I saw a memo which includes a lot of FA praise for the program, but it concludes--

I want to thank everyone who participated in the live flights to/from Frankfurt out of IAH, IAD, EWR and ORD and to/from London out of ORD. Your involvement and feedback help guide how we navigate the next steps, ensuring that the decisions that are made provide the best experience for both our customers and our flight attendants.
If anyone is on these routes on 03/01, please report back if the dessert options have disappeared once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.