2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Old Feb 11, 22, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Anyone know if these trial flights (LHR/FRA) are staffed with the pre-Covid levels of Flight Attendants?

st530 How was the service. Seemed rushed or understaffed?
Old Feb 11, 22, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.9MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium) Elite
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Anyone know if these trial flights (LHR/FRA) are staffed with the pre-Covid levels of Flight Attendants?

I can answer your last question precisely based on time of photos.
We left the gate late at 735 pm.
Beverage cart and nuts at 830 pm
Main at 850 pm
Breadbasket at 852 pm
Dessert at 1002 pm (that does seem like a long lull but that’s what my pics show)
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 22, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Breadbasket at 852 pm
Dessert at 1002 pm (that does seem like a long lull but that’s what my pics show)
Perhaps picking up a change of time zone between courses?
Old Feb 11, 22, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post

I can answer your last question precisely based on time of photos.
We left the gate late at 735 pm.
Beverage cart and nuts at 830 pm
Main at 850 pm
Breadbasket at 852 pm

Here are some comparisons from my photos.

pre-Polaris (2016; TATL; 772)
Code:
push 			-0:24
takeoff			 0:00
table setting / drinks	 0:50
bread & app		 1:01
salad			 1:14
main			 1:31
cheese & port		 1:58
sundae			 2:18
-
coffee			 7:30
breakfast		 7:35
touchdown		 8:41

new-Polaris (2017; TPAC; 744)
Code:
push			-0:12
drinks			 0:45
bread & salad & app	 1:07
main			 1:31
cheese			 1:47
dessert cart		 2:03
-
bfast (one tray)	 9:55
arrival chocolates	10:29
touchdown		10:54

pre-pandemic/late-Polaris (2019; TPAC; 773)
Code:
push			-0:26
drinks			 0:47
app			 1:13
main			 1:25
dessert 		 ? (skipped – sorry!)
-
bfast (one tray)	 9:10
touchdown		10:38
Old Feb 11, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Any guesses as to when special meals (other than Kosher) will come back for long-haul int'l, particularly Polaris? A quick look at some other carriers reveals that at least AA and BA seem to be back to normal days in this regard, but not UA.
Old Feb 11, 22, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.9MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium) Elite
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Perhaps picking up a change of time zone between courses?
I don’t think so — it looks like my phone stayed on CST until we landed, because breakfast photo says 301 am, which syncs up with CST.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 22, 2:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
This was the beta “expanded” meal service. Menu available on app/.bomb as discussed above. Separate drink/nuts (semi-warm) served pre-main. For the main I chose the salmon which was nicely presented in a bowl instead of the unappealing (to me) casserole dish. And yes there was a breadbasket! Only pretzel and white rolls but they were warm and the FA made multiple passes. For the dessert, we were shown a tray with all three options. I asked if it was possible to get more than one and FA seemed unsure so she gave me just the “sundae” to start, then returned a few mins later with the egg custard tart. I had the latter while waiting for the “sundae” to cease being rock hard, which, alas, never happened, even after 30 minutes. It was almost like what one would picture as NASA ice cream. Eventually I managed to scrape off the chocolate topping and had a few spoonfuls of that before calling it a night.

For breakfast, got the oats and, as others have observed, they’re great with lots of berries and nuts atop.

All that said, if this turns out to be the new normal, it’s a big drop-off from pre-pandemic (which itself was a big drop-off from the initial Polaris rollout).

That Salmon looks like it was plated in the galley. Did I miss the memo about plating returning?
Old Feb 11, 22, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Would be so nice to see plates and bowls back instead of casserole dishes.
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Wow great pictures!! That salmon looks much bigger than the ones I got a few months back in those smaller dishes and great to see the big bowls back!! And that sundae looks hard enough to be used as a grenade for sure but glad to see expanded options back. The sundae looks premade for sure so hoping they can bring back the fully customizable options soon! Hopefully, they can roll this out to other routes because this is looking nicer than what we've had for nearly 2 years now. st530 thanks for the share and looking forward to the return journey offering!
MatthewLAX and st530 like this.
Old Feb 13, 22, 7:02 pm

Offerings on an 11.5hr flight?

Hello! I'll be getting my first taste of Polaris business class going to and from FCO (SFO-EWR-FCO and FCO-MUN-SFO) in April. I've been following the posts on this thread, but most seem to be for flights less than 7 or 8hrs. I was wondering if there are any additional meal offerings on a longer flight (11.5hr MUN-SFO) or if it's the same main meal + arrival snack/ light meal? Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 22, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ladyaero View Post
Hello! I'll be getting my first taste of Polaris business class going to and from FCO (SFO-EWR-FCO and FCO-MUN-SFO) in April. I've been following the posts on this thread, but most seem to be for flights less than 7 or 8hrs. I was wondering if there are any additional meal offerings on a longer flight (11.5hr MUN-SFO) or if it's the same main meal + arrival snack/ light meal? Thanks!
I would not expect anything different.
ladyaero likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 2:45 am

Programs: united
I am on my way back from Rome to Newark. The lunch is filet mignon with a brown sauce, a salad with oranges on it, steamed vegetables, and boiled potato fingers, along with a dinner roll. Dessert was treacle toffee ice cream.

Everything was excellent. BUT- if you are a purist about steak, you may not like this filet. It was super-well done. CDC level well done. Stick the meat thermometer into the steak and it explodes well done.

The effect of this is that on the one hand, the steak has an extremely strong, beefy flavor. Almost like a gourmet hamburger and far more flavorful than filets normally are. On the other hand, it is extremely tough, which isn't what you are used to with a filet. I liked it but I bet some steak lovers might not.
Old Feb 15, 22, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am on my way back from Rome to Newark. The lunch is filet mignon with a brown sauce, a salad with oranges on it, steamed vegetables, and boiled potato fingers, along with a dinner roll. Dessert was treacle toffee ice cream.

Everything was excellent. BUT- if you are a purist about steak, you may not like this filet. It was super-well done. CDC level well done. Stick the meat thermometer into the steak and it explodes well done.

The effect of this is that on the one hand, the steak has an extremely strong, beefy flavor. Almost like a gourmet hamburger and far more flavorful than filets normally are. On the other hand, it is extremely tough, which isn't what you are used to with a filet. I liked it but I bet some steak lovers might not.
Thats why I typically go for the chicken on the way back and have the beef on the way there (since there is no chicken choice and) short rib is hard to screw up, though where there's a will, there's a way.
greenpau likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 10:43 am

UA 56 CDG-EWR 15 Feb 935 am 781 seat 1L

PDB of prosecco (per FA) or OJ.

Choice of steak and eggs, cheddar omelet or strawberry pancake. Went with the steak. Tasty and sufficiently filling.

No pre-meal beverage service. Nuts were saved till the pre-arrival and were plated with the meal. Not sure if this is SOP for breakfast flights ex-EUR.

Mid-flight snacks were baskets of chips and Cheez-Its.

Pre-arrival was choice of margarita pizza or vegetable couscous. Although I like the couscous, I had never tried the pizza so went with that (despite the horrible reviews). It looked much better than many photos on here, but wasn’t hot enough. Other than that, would have been fine.

”Dessert” was identical on both meals—a packaged mini-chocolate muffin. Had the first one, passed on the second.

Carfield and flyingrohit like this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I must say both the breakfast and pizza don't look bad at all!
ll22949, st530 and flyingrohit like this.

Search this Thread