Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
A joke of breakfast service today. PHX-IAH
6:30am flight. 737-900 mainline. 2 1/2 hours over 1,000 miles.

UA advertises 800+ gets hot meals. Inbound lunch flight had hot entrees but this was a joke.

FAs we’re even like “sorry it’s not much” to everyone when presenting. Don’t think it’s a catering issue cuz “cheese” was shown as pre order option.

That cheese plate looks identical to the one that B6 sells. Interesting.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
What you got there and on which route?
Looks like a KSML out of EWR. Fresko is the vendor for those instead of the usual Bornstein that prepares the KSML’s for SFO.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by dw
This sounds just like what someone was reporting recently about the first flight of the day from an outstation. Sounds like UA doesn’t have catering set up in PHX and since the plane was likely RON couldn’t cater hot food on the outbound the night before for the morning.
is RON = received over night ?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
is RON = received over night ?
Remain over night.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:12 pm

Hey, so it’s been a hot minute since I’ve I’ve flown on United. Can y’all please let me know my best options as well as the ones to avoid? Thanks.

Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AADrewBoo
Hey, so it’s been a hot minute since I’ve I’ve flown on United. Can y’all please let me know my best options as well as the ones to avoid? Thanks.

img
My preference order: 1. falafel, 2. "meatball", 3. chili, 4. burger, 5. chicken.

Some people seem to get weirded out by the meatballs, so if you are a classicist eater, perhaps do not pick. The chili is a small portion, on the lighter side.
uastarflyer and AADrewBoo like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Tiny silver lining for veg leaning or full vegetarians is UA prioritized keeping an option available throughout the scaled back service, and the options are reasonable (taste / selection)
AADrewBoo likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
My preference order: 1. falafel, 2. "meatball", 3. chili, 4. burger, 5. chicken.

Some people seem to get weirded out by the meatballs, so if you are a classicist eater, perhaps do not pick. The chili is a small portion, on the lighter side.
I just went to pre-order and the falafel option wasn’t there anymore. Is that typical?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went to pre-order and the falafel option wasn’t there anymore. Is that typical?
Hah, IME yes. You have to be quick with that one. Not sure why; seems quite strange.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Hah, IME yes. You have to be quick with that one. Not sure why; seems quite strange.
It’s cool. I chose the impossible meatballs. I’m a fan of the impossible whopper so this isn’t a stretch for me. Haha
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Tiny silver lining for veg leaning or full vegetarians is UA prioritized keeping an option available throughout the scaled back service, and the options are reasonable (taste / selection)
Yeah I appreciate that they are making palatable veg options a focus. And veg tends to be cheaper, so I would think that's music to Kirby's ears.

It’s cool. I chose the impossible meatballs. I’m a fan of the impossible whopper so this isn’t a stretch for me. Haha
Enjoy!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
IAD-SFO

Polaris cabin, which was nice, but the overall experience was a clear reminder that a nice cabin doesn't match the service level. No pillows/blankets/amenities. We were offered a PDB (water, sparkling). Meal choice was "chicken or Impossible meatballs", announced over the PA, no descriptions of what came with either given. No pre-order available even for this transcon. Main dish orders were taken before takeoff. Beverage orders taken row by row once underway, brought in a reasonable amount of time. No nuts or anything with them. No refills ever offered, except once during meal service. No prepping the cabin for the meal, just, suddenly, FA standing there with a tray to plunk down, glaring at each person as to why they didn't have their tray table ready. Meal presented all on on tray. I got the meatballs ...

So, a few things.

First, why no regular salad? This was a dinner flight, and the fruit was a strange side with dinner. That said, the grapes and blueberries were nice at least. The roll was quasi-warm, and actually not that bad, not fresh baked bread with a great crust and chew or anything, but not stale and dry. But that is all I have to say positive about the meal. The main dish seemed like someone had microwaved it on high for way, way too long, and then forgot about it for an hour. It was very dried out, completely mushy (the cous cous, the veggies, and the meatballs), and yet ... not even warm. The meatballs were cold inside. I actually don't mind impossible meat, but they were oddly dense and yet mush at the same time, and really, really needed sauce - mine had very little. I had some ketchup in my purse that helped considerably. The broccolini was a kinda odd shade of green, and didn't taste fresh at all, cous cous just unseasoned mush. Packaged brownie-bar was a letdown too, as I actually like the pie in the sky ...

And that was that. The remainder of the flight, the FAs never came through, no refills of drinks, no snacks, nothing.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR - LAX
9/20/22

This was my experience in PP, but given the fact that it's the same meal served as business cabin, it's worth to document the experience here.

The two choices were the same as business - chicken with polenta (with single stalk of broccolini and demi-glace sauce), or the ricotta-filled pasta sheets with vegetarian chili on top and boiled carrot discs and cauliflower (which the FA mistakenly marketing as butternut squash ravioli).

On the "Manage My Trip" screen, the system allowed me to pick special meals. Just to see what happens, I picked the vegetarian option. Surprisingly, the crew confirmed that they boarded my vegetarian option, which turned out to be the burrata ravioli with tomato sauce and sundried tomatoes that has been in rotation in the past. It was better than the two choices offered.

The surprise came at the pre-arrival snack time, which was the typical hummus/tabbouleh or ham and cheese plates. The FA said that they have a special vegetarian snack for me, which is:

Chickpea salad, fruit bowl, and gluten-free, vegan, and kosher chocolate chip cookies, in addition to the hummus plate. Not pictured: roll-up with real silverware.

That was surprisingly good, and much more substantial than what I needed.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by PTahCha
EWR - LAX
9/20/22

This was my experience in PP, but given the fact that it's the same meal served as business cabin, it's worth to document the experience here.

The two choices were the same as business - chicken with polenta (with single stalk of broccolini and demi-glace sauce), or the ricotta-filled pasta sheets with vegetarian chili on top and boiled carrot discs and cauliflower (which the FA mistakenly marketing as butternut squash ravioli).

On the "Manage My Trip" screen, the system allowed me to pick special meals. Just to see what happens, I picked the vegetarian option. Surprisingly, the crew confirmed that they boarded my vegetarian option, which turned out to be the burrata ravioli with tomato sauce and sundried tomatoes that has been in rotation in the past. It was better than the two choices offered.

The surprise came at the pre-arrival snack time, which was the typical hummus/tabbouleh or ham and cheese plates. The FA said that they have a special vegetarian snack for me, which is:

Chickpea salad, fruit bowl, and gluten-free, vegan, and kosher chocolate chip cookies, in addition to the hummus plate. Not pictured: roll-up with real silverware.

That was surprisingly good, and much more substantial than what I needed.
wow United is striving for greatness with this particular pre-arrival meal!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 7:47 am

We're booked on 1656 ORD-CUN in J on November 25 and it's lists the meal as "snack". Is this a timing thing because the next flight out to CUN has "lunch" listed as the meal. On the website it doesn't say anything other than a hot meal is offered on flights over 800 miles. I'd hate to miss out on the "gourmet" hot food!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.