Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Guava cheesecake in any form is generally a wonderful thing - and even mashed ube, if seasoned correctly, can be good - but cheesecake with a vegan meal is likely a problem

Looking at the photos, the "schnitzel" looks somewhat promising, after all, anything deep fried must be good, right? But serving it as a solid, inedible slab is something that is so easy to prevent with a little forethought and zero cost.

In 25 years of flying with Continental and now United as a top tier elite, I have always been addressed as "Mr", even when my last name has been mangled (which is fine), or received no greeting at all - so I would most certainly object to being called guy, buddy, pal, hey-you, whatdyawant, or any other such greeting. If it's really that difficult for a crew member to utter the words "Mr." or "Ms" with a last name, they are certainly in the wrong business, or have not been properly trained. This is not Arby's.
I have on a number of occasions gotten the "whatdyawant" without any prior greeting.

I have even gotten, "whatdyawant" on a PMUA International First Class flight with no menu to provide an answer.

When I said I don't have a menu the FA replies, this is airline food, we have the usual suspects, Beef, Chicken,Fish and a Pasta, "whatdyawant". I asked how the Beef was prepared and the answer of the century, "it's cooked, whatdyawant."
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by evol
Also why Guy and Girl and pax behind Mr and Mrs? Are Wooglin and partner very young? I think if FA called me Guy iʻd let it slip but "hey girl" is different and would only be acceptable if the FA is gay and so am I.
I can only imagine it was because the pax behind was GS- they boarded late due to a tight connection and they were greeted as Mr and Mrs X, with a "thank you for your loyalty" from the FA.

The Mrs and I are both mid/late-30s, and the GS and wife didn't seem to be significantly older- perhaps early/mid-40s.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I would have sent that dish back. It looks repulsive. But then, so have many (most?) of UA's recent dishes.
Oh, I did.

​​​Not that it did any good- I was told there weren't any other meal options available (including any of the items usually for sale in Y, like the Brioche Burger) so I ended up with a Tapas box as the only food for the 7h between meal service and pre-arrival snack.

I was quite surprised that the pre-arrival snack was... A Burger.
SPN Lifer, uanj and MatthewLAX like this.

Last edited by Wooglin; Jun 27, 2022 at 9:24 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
MCO-CLE, June 26, 12:05 pm departure, 737-800
Received preorder notification in the UA app at T-5 days with a choice of Impossible Meatballs or the Zaatar Chicken.
PDB offer of water, OJ. No offer for something from the bar.
FA came around to take meal and drink orders and noted my preorder of the Zaatar Chicken.
To the other pax she offered the Vegetarian Polenta Thing or the Chicken. Not sure what happened to the Impossible Meatballs...
Wine served briefly before the lunch service, and refilled often. Line39 Chardonnay for anybody who cares ($10 a bottle retail)
The Zaatar chicken pieces were chopped really small. I expected more from the pics on this thread. However, it was tasty and a decent meal for a 2 hour flight.
Pie in the Sky was warmed.

Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I can only imagine it was because the pax behind was GS- they boarded late due to a tight connection and they were greeted as Mr and Mrs X, with a "thank you for your loyalty" from the FA.

The Mrs and I are both mid/late-30s, and the GS and wife didn't seem to be significantly older- perhaps early/mid-40s.

Oh, I did.

​​​Not that it did any good- I was told there weren't any other meal options available (including any of the items usually for sale in Y, like the Brioche Burger) so I ended up with a Tapas box as the only food for the 7h between meal service and pre-arrival snack.

I was quite surprised that the pre-arrival snack was... A Burger.
Sorry to hear all this. The right choice, of course, would have been to offer the pre-arrival meal to you then. In the defense of the FA’s, the now-permanent staffing cuts leave very little time to customize anything or engage.

As a GS, I can assure you that I am rarely addressed by name these days, and even then it’s done once, squinting at the screen. Lately, “Buddy” has been used a lot, which I really dislike. Having flown on carriers recently where I have zero status, I’ve been addressed by name and treated very well.

On a recent UA flight, the same guy/gal was used throughout the flight - something that the passenger next to me was upset about as their pronouns didn’t match either - this is something UA is so focused on I’m surprised it’s still happening with rogue FAs.

I was told this week that by Fall pre-order will be available for almost all domestic flights, avoiding you the unidentifiable meal you ended up with, and the FAs the stress.
Wooglin likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Quick report that I preordered the Falafel Bowl on a recent DEN-SFO dinner service and it was not catered. To her credit moments before landing the FA came by and asked me to input my email address into her iPhone so a USD50 travel credit could be sent to me. Odd that she needed my email address - at first thought it wasn't tied to my M+ account, yet the next time I logged on I got a message reminding me I had a $50 travel credit and urging me to spend it.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Quick report that I preordered the Falafel Bowl on a recent DEN-SFO dinner service and it was not catered. To her credit moments before landing the FA came by and asked me to input my email address into her iPhone so a USD50 travel credit could be sent to me. Odd that she needed my email address - at first thought it wasn't tied to my M+ account, yet the next time I logged on I got a message reminding me I had a $50 travel credit and urging me to spend it.
I believe the email is requested in case if you were not a valuable MileagePlus member. Foolproof redundancy, if you will.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
So for "snack" listed flights in UX in first class (that are listed as meal in mainline), it is often snack box or chicken z? I can't determine if the chicken z is heated or served cold.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jun 28, 2022 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Zaatar Chicken dish is served warm but it depends on the crew and their definition of warm. I liked it on our recent LAX-MIA trip but my wife did not. She preferred the Impossible Meatballs.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
So for "snack" listed flights in UX in first class (that are listed as meal in mainline), it is often snack box or chicken z? I can't determine if the chicken z is heated or served cold.
From my experience, UX flights over 800 miles are catered with either the cold zatar chicken or the cheese tray (pre packaged) plus they have a fruit bowl and the pie in the sky. I would assume you could order the snack box from the back if neither of the options suited you.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
No UX aircraft has ovens.
Only unheated options.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Wonder what cold chicken z tastes like...

If I had a warm choice, I'd likely choose the impossible meatballs as I have liked impossible burgers first, then would try chicken z the next time.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I guess it's somewhat encouraging that all the chicken dishes described over the last few weeks seem to be real chicken breast meat, and not chopped formed chicken scraps.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Flew DCA-ORD on A319, 0759 departure, and nothing at all served except drinks. Shouldn't there at least be a Biscoff or stroopwafel?! I got more in coach on AA and WN last week on 1 hour flights!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Flew DCA-ORD on A319, 0759 departure, and nothing at all served except drinks. Shouldn't there at least be a Biscoff or stroopwafel?! I got more in coach on AA and WN last week on 1 hour flights!
For whatever reason United has been reluctant to bring back the snack basket. RDU-ORD is even longer and if you either get the pandemic bags with a bottle of water, Stroop/Biscoff and pretzels or nothing.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
For whatever reason United has been reluctant to bring back the snack basket. RDU-ORD is even longer and if you either get the pandemic bags with a bottle of water, Stroop/Biscoff and pretzels or nothing.
UA probably has warehouses of pandemic bags..

David
MatthewLAX, kirkwoodj and Wooglin like this.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 29, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.