Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hirohito888
LGA-IAH
UA2629

Airbus A320
Meal: breakfast

Choice of scrambled eggs or waffle (below)
My preferred options (including non Greek yogurt), but the sugar rush letdown a bit later can be rough!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by st530
PDB of water or OJ.

Breakfast was choice of eggs or waffle. Went with eggs. A pretty hearty portion and fruit tasted good. Drink offered premeal. Chose the bubbles which were much more drinkable than the last flight so I’m guessing a different bottle (took a photo of the bubbles on display while boarding).

Another great crew. Lead FA called me by name the entire flight and upon deplaning.
"Hey, st530 ! Thanks for flying with us today!"

David
st530 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
CUN-IAH
6/21/2022

Choice of french toast (below) or scrambled eggs. Decided to go with the sugar jolt and a bloody mary. Not amazing, but not bad either. 6/10 would maybe order again.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Booked ORD-COS on A319 next week departing at 1002. Website says "snack" but flight is 911 miles. What should I expect? Thanks!
UPDATE-didn't receive e-mail to pre-select meals but was able to do some from the itinerary page online and drumroll please - Za’atar chicken or Impossible meatball bowl will try impossible meatballs for first time
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Update - wife and I flew ORD-SAT-ORD this week.

Both had Zataar chicken on the outbound. Verdict: better than the previous Latin chicken/orzo by far - either ther processed or real! Zataar was real chicken(though chopped in pieces.

Both had Meatballs on return. Really liked them!! Slightly bland, need some pepper, but overall very good with the pasta and brocollini.

Meatballs > Chicken, but both fine and better than previous choices!
st530 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
+1

Never saw any pre-arrival service on redeyes to EWR from SFO in years. They used to have warmed up scones/muffins a while back.
Finally and for the first time on a redeye, a pre-arrival meal was offered before landing. However the choices were the hummus and tabouleh or the deli meat and cheese mini plates. Odd choice but then again this is the airline that offers chopped up processed meat in their premium cabins
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
UA219 ORD-HNL, on a 78J- Truly a disappointment for the first UA long-haul F flight I've taken in 5 years.

The FAs started front-to-back through the cabin taking drink orders after I was seated, which I assumed was for a PDB.
I was incorrect. Instead of coming back with drinks, the FAs came back through the cabin a second time front-to-back asking for meal orders. No drinks arrived until less than 5 minutes before the meal service itself.

Both times I was addressed by the FA as "Guy" and my wife as "Girl" (i.e. "OK Guy, what can I get you to drink? OK Girl, how about you?") despite the FA having a copy of the manifest in her hand both times she took our order.

She seemed to have no problem addressing the GS and his partner in the row behind us as "Mr. & Mrs. [Surname]" both times.

Taking my order, I was given one "choice" of 'vegan schnitzel', because that was all they had left, as the beef ribs and the chicken were "already sold out" by the time they reached me in row 7.

I asked about getting the brioche burger, or something warm from the Y cabin and was told the Y galley "didn't have any of the items listed in Hemispheres- just snack boxes."

Against my better judgement, I asked for the "schnitzel" and was served hunk of butternut squash, breaded, and served with a side of what I can only describe as "purple stuff", and roasted cocktail onions. The squash was nearly impossible to cut as it was completely raw.

The cocktail onions were crunchy and equally undercooked, and the "purple stuff" had the consistency and the taste of the rice cereal I recall feeding to my infant daughter when she was 6 months old.

Dessert was some sort of berry(?) cheesecake which was both too sweet, and also flavorless.

The only redeeming quality of the meal is that the bread was actually warm.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:58 am

What in creation is that? Is the purple stuff poi?

We are a long ways from the (reasonable) enchilada plate or the falafel plate, as far as vegetarian fare goes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2022 at 12:59 pm Reason: FT Rule 18 -- masking obscenties
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
What in creation is that? Is the purple stuff poi?

We are a long ways from the (reasonable) enchilada plate or the falafel plate, as far as vegetarian fare goes.
That definitely ain't poi in any Hawaiian kitchen, for sure.

I would definitely file a complaint about being addressed as "guy" and "girl" - absolutely unacceptable. Why is it so difficult for United staff to provide a higher level of quality service consistently? Why must we have endless threads stuffed full of these farcical interactions that should never be allowed to happen in the first place?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2022 at 1:00 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That definitely ain't poi in any Hawaiian kitchen, for sure.

I would definitely file a complaint about being addressed as "guy" and "girl" - absolutely unacceptable. Why is it so difficult for United staff to provide a higher level of quality service consistently? Why must we have endless threads stuffed full of these farcical interactions that should never be allowed to happen in the first place?
Also why Guy and Girl and pax behind Mr and Mrs? Are Wooglin and partner very young? I think if FA called me Guy iʻd let it slip but "hey girl" is different and would only be acceptable if the FA is gay and so am I.

Those look like they could be ube; purple yam/sweet potato, and guava cheesecake.. And if thats a vegan meal then i can only imagine what all the creamy stuff is made of..,
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by evol
Also why Guy and Girl and pax behind Mr and Mrs? Are Wooglin and partner very young? I think if FA called me Guy iʻd let it slip but "hey girl" is different and would only be acceptable if the FA is gay and so am I.

Those look like they could be ube; purple yam/sweet potato, and guava cheesecake.. And if thats a vegan meal then i can only imagine what all the creamy stuff is made of..,
Guava cheesecake in any form is generally a wonderful thing - and even mashed ube, if seasoned correctly, can be good - but cheesecake with a vegan meal is likely a problem

Looking at the photos, the "schnitzel" looks somewhat promising, after all, anything deep fried must be good, right? But serving it as a solid, inedible slab is something that is so easy to prevent with a little forethought and zero cost.

In 25 years of flying with Continental and now United as a top tier elite, I have always been addressed as "Mr", even when my last name has been mangled (which is fine), or received no greeting at all - so I would most certainly object to being called guy, buddy, pal, hey-you, whatdyawant, or any other such greeting. If it's really that difficult for a crew member to utter the words "Mr." or "Ms" with a last name, they are certainly in the wrong business, or have not been properly trained. This is not Arby's.
wrp96 and evol like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by evol
I think if FA called me Guy iʻd let it slip but "hey girl" is different and would only be acceptable if the FA is gay and so am I.
Or if the FA is Ryan Gosling
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Mr./Mrs. or Sir/Ma'am will do. Any thing else is disrespectful from an airline service employee and should be reserved for the local bar. With friends.

I would have sent that dish back. It looks repulsive. But then, so have many (most?) of UA's recent dishes.
Wooglin and airkapper like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Mr./Mrs. or Sir/Ma'am will do. Any thing else is disrespectful from an airline service employee and should be reserved for the local bar. With friends.
Recommend not flying AS then. Passengers are on a first name basis there. Although I don't really mind at all, especially since overall service is better on average.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I would have sent that dish back. It looks repulsive. But then, so have many (most?) of UA's recent dishes.
Agree. I can't think of anything I've seen on this year's thread that looks worse actually. And that's saying a lot.
Wooglin likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by econ
Recommend not flying AS then. Passengers are on a first name basis there. Although I don't really mind at all, especially since overall service is better on average.
AS has Polaris level lieflats to the islands?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.