Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Full PDB offered by the excellent UX FA serving F. How long has UX had bubbly? That’s what I got. Never saw if it was a full bottle or minis.

Choice of chicken zatar or cheese plate. Went with the zatar and I am an enthusiastic fan. Not at all dry as described in other recent posts. Flavorful, lemony, fresh-tasting etc. Also had roll and butter, packaged cup of tropical fruit, and a pie in the sky.

Refills offered throughout. Really a terrific flight.

was this served hot? I did not know the E175s had ovens
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by hotelboy
was this served hot? I did not know the E175s had ovens
Cold. Is it served hot on mainline? This was the first time I’ve had it.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by st530
Cold. Is it served hot on mainline? This was the first time I’ve had it.
Yes it's served hot on mainline. Frankly I can see a dish like this working out whether cold or hot, as long as the ingredients are of a reasonable quality.
SPN Lifer, MatthewLAX and st530 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
​​​​​Reconstituted Chicken on United Airlines
​​​
Originally Posted by BlueSky72 (Post # 897)
I was offered the Chicken Za’atar on my flight IAD-GUA on 6-13 and it was even worse than described. I didn’t take a pic, but essentially it was the old “chicken with orzo” except the chicken was in little crumbles - yes, crumbles - of the reconstituted stuff, despite being described as “sliced chicken breast”. I was starving so I ate it.
Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post # 898)
Flew ORD-DFW on 6/8. Had the chicken Za'atar. I did enjoy the meal. Chicken was dry but that is to be expected with airline meals.
Originally Posted by st530 (Post # 903)
Choice of chicken zatar or cheese plate. Went with the zatar and I am an enthusiastic fan. Not at all dry as described in other recent posts. Flavorful, lemony, fresh-tasting etc. Also had roll and butter, packaged cup of tropical fruit, and a pie in the sky.

Refills offered throughout. Really a terrific flight.
This topic may well deserve its own thread, but I will leave that decision to our esteemed moderator.

How prevalent is reconstituted chicken (compressed chicken parts in the form of a chicken breast) on United Airlines (UA)?

I have read several such complaints over the past months, but nary a close-up photo to document the faux chicken.

At the same time, I read posts praising UA chicken to the sky, which comports with my own MNL-GUM experience last month in business class.

Does UA have multiple caterers, some using real, and some fake?

We have enough FlyerTalk participants that we should be able to get to the bottom of this.

However, bandying about evidence without firm, physical or documentary evidence and analysis does not enhance our credibility.

Perhaps someone could even bring a piece off the plane (not through customs) for professional culinary or scientific analysis?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
​​​​​Reconstituted Chicken on United Airlines
​​​This topic may well deserve its own thread, but I will leave that decision to our esteemed moderator.

How prevalent is reconstituted chicken (compressed chicken parts in the form of a chicken breast) on United Airlines (UA)?

I have read several such complaints over the past months, but nary a close-up photo to document the faux chicken.

At the same time, I read posts praising UA chicken to the sky, which comports with my own MNL-GUM experience last month in business class.

Does UA have multiple caterers, some using real, and some fake?

We have enough FlyerTalk participants that we should be able to get to the bottom of this.

However, bandying about evidence without firm, physical or documentary evidence and analysis does not enhance our credibility.

Perhaps someone could even bring a piece off the plane (not through customs) for professional culinary or scientific analysis?
I have a friend who is the GM of an airline catering unit and while his unit does not cater UA, I asked what he thought about the compressed chicken patty thing.

He said he is almost entirely sure that UA's spec does not call for restructured or reformed chicken, but that catering units on their own (to save money) are subbing out fresh who muscle chicken breast for the science compressed chicken breast.

While his unit has never catered UA he said it is his understanding from talking to other catering units that do cater UA that their spec is not as tight as other airlines (he did add that most US based airlines spec is not super tight), he said that Emirates has some of tightest specs he has ever seen and that if UA got wind of the compressed chicken they would tell the catering unit to knock it off.

Most likely UA is contracted for chicken breast and the price went up and certain catering units to show profitability to Corporate are subbing out ingredients to save money where they can and UA's chicken is one of the items being subbed out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
and that if UA got wind of the compressed chicken they would tell the catering unit to knock it off.
UA certainly knows about the compressed chicken. Even taking out employee standbys executives are flying all the time.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Had an interesting food situation on UA 351, DCA-SFO on June 12. Pre-order food selection was just 2 items (chicken and vegetarian), after having a choice of 5 items on the SFO-DCA flight. When on board, the purser came around, said there were no pre-ordered food and offered a verbal list of 5 meal choices, including a hot turkey sandwich (which DW and I had, nothing spectacular, slightly better than the Covid sandwiches, with fruit, a roll and pie in the sky ), a chicken dish, a dish that sounded like a meatball dish with impossible meat, a vegetarian dish and what appeared to be a left over waffle from the previous SFO-DCA flight the plane had just completed.

Overall, the result was better than the pre-order option, but just odd.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Brekkies on RNO-DEN

0829 RNO-DEN on A319
only choice for breakfast

Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
0829 RNO-DEN on A319
only choice for breakfast

Personally. That looks like a lot of food. Cereal plus cheese plus banana plus croissant plus cinnamon thing
airkapper likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally. That looks like a lot of food. Cereal plus cheese plus banana plus croissant plus cinnamon thing
Agree, seems almost excessive and I have been called one of the greatest knife and fork men in the country.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
EWR-MIA 15 June 730 pm 738 seat 2B

PDB of water or sparkling wine presented on a tray.

Choice of beverage before main.

Main was choice of za’atar chicken or Impossible meatballs. Went with the latter. Really tasty. Both of these new mains are home runs IMO. Bread and pie in the sky were warmed. Fruit bowl tasted very fresh.

Another excellent crew that worked the whole flight.

Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Had an interesting food situation on UA 351, DCA-SFO on June 12. Pre-order food selection was just 2 items (chicken and vegetarian), after having a choice of 5 items on the SFO-DCA flight.
This is the first time I've read of preordering available for non-hub departures (maybe I've just been ignorant), and it makes sense that some of the preorder-only choices (e.g., burger and falafel bowl) are only available when departing from a hub.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It's all prepackaged and not super appetizing though. RNO must be an outstation where UA doesn't have a catering contract for whatever reason, necessitating the need to provision shelf-stable food on the inbound the night before. Was that the case pre-pandemic?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
This is the first time I've read of preordering available for non-hub departures (maybe I've just been ignorant), and it makes sense that some of the preorder-only choices (e.g., burger and falafel bowl) are only available when departing from a hub.
I was able to pre-order on my MCO-EWR flight coming up in a few days, was a first for me, so maybe it has expanded to non-hub flights now too.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:07 pm

SAT-ORD today:

PDB = water or O.J.

breakfast flight - I had pre-ordered "Waflle with banana foster sauce".
F.A advised that catering had not loaded the waffle ....instead he had a bagel with cream cheese option (vegetarian option).
I said yes to that......and then I discovered that was the famous "Heart-Attack Cream cheese thingy" with 1400mg salt.
I did not eat.
The only other item on the plate was a fruit plate (2cm piece of watermelon, 5 blueberries, one thin slice pineapple; one thin slice melon)

Other food option was a packaged (hot) ham/cheese croissant.

Luckily I got my own food from home; I also got my own tea from home.

The food situation at UA is getting worse each day!

P.S Catering forgot to load water as well. Luckily FA's discovered that and the station folks got them the water.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
SFO-MEX lunch. Impossible meatballs, which really do taste like meat! The sauce looks frozen on top, but it was hot, and everything was good. PDB of water/OJ/bubbly. Drink before the meal (no nuts, no snack.) Fruit was a weird side. Shoulda been a salad. Bread warmed. Decent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.