Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Just curious ... Does anyone like this slop? Every flight I am on seems to have these two choices and watching the cabin, most be passengers take a bite on toss it.
"Every flight"? How many flights have you had since June 1st when the new dishes started being served? Might wanna get used to these options, they'll be around a while.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:48 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
"Every flight"? How many flights have you had since June 1st when the new dishes started being served? Might wanna get used to these options, they'll be around a while.
These have been around before June 1 on hub to hub routes.

Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by snic
What's the current "snack" in J on the redeye from LAX to JFK? (Or SFO-JFK.) The LAX-JFK flight departs at 10:30 pm and lists "snack" instead of "dinner".
To answer my own question: on a recent LAX-JFK redeye, it was chicken or squash ravioli. Sounds like the dinner service on other flights, not sure why they call it a "snack". I thought the FA said it was Thai chicken, but it was in some sort of spicy sauce with beans and corn, and some rice. Not particularly good, and yes, the chicken wasn't a solid breast but rather large-ish shreds that had been pressed together. There was a skimpy cabbage salad with some sad edamame decoration, a roll, and a truly disgusting Eli's strawberry swirl cheesecake. I'm not a fan of plastic strawberry goop.

A highlight was the Glenfarclas scotch, which was very good. I would have preferred just to have a glass of that with some warm nuts to ease me to sleep, but alas there were no nuts at all, warm or not.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by dshafiee
These have been around before June 1 on hub to hub routes.

Chicken Za'aatar was launched on June 1st. I don't know what flight you were on before June 1 with that dish, but these were announced late May for a June 1 launch.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by snic
To answer my own question: on a recent LAX-JFK redeye, it was chicken or squash ravioli. Sounds like the dinner service on other flights, not sure why they call it a "snack". I thought the FA said it was Thai chicken, but it was in some sort of spicy sauce with beans and corn, and some rice. Not particularly good, and yes, the chicken wasn't a solid breast but rather large-ish shreds that had been pressed together. There was a skimpy cabbage salad with some sad edamame decoration, a roll, and a truly disgusting Eli's strawberry swirl cheesecake. I'm not a fan of plastic strawberry goop.

A highlight was the Glenfarclas scotch, which was very good. I would have preferred just to have a glass of that with some warm nuts to ease me to sleep, but alas there were no nuts at all, warm or not.
That would be the chicken with Latin rice. Either they put the wrong description in the print out, or someone was not paying attention.

Originally Posted by greenpau
You were on my flight ... you must have been in A Zone with me, as the nuts were placed on the tray versus served in advance. My spouse was seated in B Zone, and they got a cocktail and nuts, then the dinner separately. Yes, the service was not buttoned up in A Zone - very junior FAs from ORD. Slow to get started for no reason, single tray service, not proactive with refills. On top of that it was 2.5h late.

The pre-arrival snack was also humorous ... a package of nuts.
Interestingly, I had a conversation with a PMUA/former HKG-based (now EWR) FA, and she said that the single tray service, including nuts and drink on the tray, is the current service model, even on premium transcon flights. If they serve drink/nuts separately on a tray, or (gasp!) bringing out the drink cart, that's above and beyond. Not sure how accurate this is, but it's a data point.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
IAD-LGA
CRJ550 Seat 2D
6/3/2022

The cheese tray took me by surprise I was expecting no food so I stuffed myself in the TK lounge prior to the flight.cool to see the pseudo glass too. but I dont understand how this is the service on this flight but IAD-EWR a few months prior I was on all we got was a plastic cup of water.

EWR-LAX
Boeing 787-9
6/4/2022

I was in premium plus for this flight but same food choices as business, chicken or butternut squash ravioli. Im actually ok with this dish given its on a day when they dont oven the chicken until its a brick. And as a fun addon, I was in 20L and in 20K I had the honor of sitting next to a wailing baby for the full 5.5 hour flight to LA.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:12 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
United seems to be taking inspiration from Delta...impossible meatballs today on SNA-ORD. My first time having an Impossible product and I liked it.

Excellent purser serving F. Warmed pie in the sky offered later on.

ll22949 and st530 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That is a miscater, he is imagine the regionals are still working out details about the meal changes.
Interesting as I wrote into 1KVoice and this was their response. Nowhere do they mention that cold plates are coming back on UA Express flights but that hub to hub flights are getting upgraded meals on June 15. Or do you think this person is clueless and they posted the June 15, 2021 announcement.

Starting June 1, we brought back beer, wine and introduced hard seltzer for sale on all United mainline flights over 800 miles or more (approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of scheduled flight time) in addition to hub-to-hub flights using contactless payment.Beginning June 15, we'll upgrade premium cabin meal service on all United mainline flights over 1,500 miles and hub-to-hub flights 800-1,500 miles. Customers will have a choice between two heated entrees served on a tray set up with packaged sides which include salad, bread, dessert and roll-up. I hope this helps clear things up a bit.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by elbombo
Interesting as I wrote into 1KVoice and this was their response. Nowhere do they mention that cold plates are coming back on UA Express flights but that hub to hub flights are getting upgraded meals on June 15. Or do you think this person is clueless and they posted the June 15, 2021 announcement.

Starting June 1, we brought back beer, wine and introduced hard seltzer for sale on all United mainline flights over 800 miles or more (approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of scheduled flight time) in addition to hub-to-hub flights using contactless payment.Beginning June 15, we'll upgrade premium cabin meal service on all United mainline flights over 1,500 miles and hub-to-hub flights 800-1,500 miles. Customers will have a choice between two heated entrees served on a tray set up with packaged sides which include salad, bread, dessert and roll-up. I hope this helps clear things up a bit.
Nope, it happened on June 1st.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
IAD-LGA
CRJ550 Seat 2D
6/3/2022

The cheese tray took me by surprise I was expecting no food so I stuffed myself in the TK lounge prior to the flight.cool to see the pseudo glass too. but I dont understand how this is the service on this flight but IAD-EWR a few months prior I was on all we got was a plastic cup of water.
I think it's just the GoJet/CR5 flights that are supposed to provide premium service on regional routes and the snack selection was amazing - cheese plate, jerky, 5 different crackers, fruit, granola bars etc. plus the walk-up bar is filled with snacks too. This was the same pre-covid though.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
RIC-DEN E-175 dinner/snack

The RIC-DEN flight departed at 3:55 pm. I assumed that I got a snack service (Food: information is not available at this time according to App). There is no oven on UEX. The main dish was frozen and I had to wait for it to be defrozen. I was in survival mode; so I ate it. Whatever it was called (breakfast at dinner time or brunch service?) did not matter to me. 😂 🤪
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The RIC-DEN flight departed at 3:55 pm. I assumed that I got a snack service (Food: information is not available at this time according to App). There is no oven on UEX. The main dish was frozen and I had to wait for it to be defrozen.
What on Earth! What was that mess described as? Was there a second choice?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The RIC-DEN flight departed at 3:55 pm. I assumed that I got a snack service (Food: information is not available at this time according to App). There is no oven on UEX. The main dish was frozen and I had to wait for it to be defrozen. I was in survival mode; so I ate it. Whatever it was called (breakfast at dinner time or brunch service?) did not matter to me. 😂 🤪
img
Very cool. I've always wanted to try green eggs and ham.

Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Nope, it happened on June 1st.
That seems like last year's announcement as it is saying only hub to hub flights of 800-1500 miles receive meals
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
You should post your pic in the UA Frequent Flyer quiz but instead of where is this, ask WHAT is this? I've been watching the UA food threads and haven't seen anything like this. Something avocado in the base makes it green? Sour cream lumps? It's got broccoli in it? Red peppers and carrots on top? I'm struggling to figure out what food genre this fits into.
FlytheTail and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by paule123; Jun 8, 2022 at 7:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.