Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:52 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by physioprof
The "chicken" seemed to not be an actual chicken breast, but some kind of breast-shaped object formed out of what seemed to be chopped chicken refuse. It was completely inedible & I said so to the FA, explaining that I am not at all picky about plane food but this was too horrifying even for me. She commiserated & said it was her crew meal the other day & she couldn't eat it
I hadn’t even thought of the pilots (who seem to get crew meals on more flights than FAs?)… have they been eating only chicken or ragu for over a year now?
cczzll likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dw
I hadn’t even thought of the pilots (who seem to get crew meals on more flights than FAs?)… have they been eating only chicken or ragu for over a year now?
No - they have other options.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by esc2476
I am flying IAD - LAX on Sunday in J and have not received an e-mail to preorder dinner though dinner is listed. I assume it is just the chicken and ragu?
Chicken or ragu. Chicken and ragu. Ragu and ragu. Take your pick.

David
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Hertz Gold, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by physioprof
This dish was my pre-order on EWR-IAH last Friday afternoon. The "chicken" seemed to not be an actual chicken breast, but some kind of breast-shaped object formed out of what seemed to be chopped chicken refuse. It was completely inedible & I said so to the FA, explaining that I am not at all picky about plane food but this was too horrifying even for me. She commiserated & said it was her crew meal the other day & she couldn't eat it.

On IAH-EWR return Sunday morning, I had the egg scramble, and it was very good. No bread of any kind was served, but there was an empty small bread plate on the tray.
I appreciate your warning, as we will be EWR-IAH for a dinner flight soon...and I don't want glued together chicken parts. As a cattle raiser I like real meats (to include chicken and fish) but only in their natural forms for consumption. On the way up to NYC we are heading into LGA so unless they change out food service on that route there we will get a snack, or two or three. As long as there is a variety of drinks I can chillax on the flight to begin a few vacation days. Uber will be driving.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
All who replied thanks for the tip. Just came off SFO-IAH. Choices were the “chicken with Spanish rice” or “Ragu pasta”. I politely asked the FA if I could have the hamburger they serve in the back, he checked and it was provided.

Hit the spot! I agree the pretzel burger was a little better but I’m happy to know this option going forward.
Amazing how many folks are asking for the food in coach over the F food...although given the option I might follow that pattern as well. Is it safe to assume that the substitution was done as a courtesy or were you asked to fund your coach meal? Just wonder how much leeway they have to give away food that normally get charged to a passenger on board expenses card.

Many moons ago, like probably pre 911 (the black day in history, not the introduction of that phone number) I recall being able to send booze to friends sitting in coach without the FAs giving it a second thought. Seems like I even shared a meal that way once, probably because it was eggs which I don't eat.

If I get lucky I may take a long haul international flight for my birthday, and will be interested to see how the service matches to what I recall from a few years back when my last similar flight brought me back from TPE to IAH non stop on EVA (UA Partner).

I'd love to see UA restore more choice in the available booze served at least up front.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RancherDave
Amazing how many folks are asking for the food in coach over the F food...although given the option I might follow that pattern as well. Is it safe to assume that the substitution was done as a courtesy or were you asked to fund your coach meal? Just wonder how much leeway they have to give away food that normally get charged to a passenger on board expenses card.
Most are fine with it, just don't be the DYKWIA who berates the rare FA who will charge you or refuse
cczzll likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by findark
Most are fine with it, just don't be the DYKWIA who berates the rare FA who will charge you or refuse
Be nice to them and usually they will be nice to you... They are people too who want to be treated nicely by coworkers and customers.

On my last flight lead FA was one serving my side of widebody first and I had to ask for a reset of entertainment system, a few times in fact. He tried and when it came to be the system at that seat was broken, he let me know. I mentioned it didn't make a huge difference since it was a short domestic flight but I figured that before a long haul flight it might need to be fixed. He appreciated my heads up...came back a bit later and asked travel credit or more miles...didn't expect that. Plus he made sure I always had a full drink. Oh when I got home and looked I'd been given $125 due to the lack of a working entertainment system. Quite the reward for just offering up info so the next flight didn't become a nightmare for some FA or pax...my computer is stocked with movies.
catmndu likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RancherDave
Be nice to them and usually they will be nice to you... They are people too who want to be treated nicely by coworkers and customers.
I asked nicely and received two (full) trays of these that were left over at the end of my flight:

And, yes, always be nice.

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
I asked nicely and received two (full) trays of these that were left over at the end of my flight:

David
Wow! You’ve given me a great idea.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Wow! You’ve given me a great idea.
Uh oh.

David
Old May 1, 2022, 1:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Uh oh.

David
Well it will end up on the blog and United will implement a new policy of strict inventory control.
SPN Lifer, SFO777 and cczzll like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
DEN-SFO
So did I miss a memo? Did they drop yogurt from sub-1500 mile hub-hub routes? Wasn't this supposed to have something else on the tray and after 1500 miles the lemony cracker things?
Attached Images  
Old May 1, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Uh oh.

David
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well it will end up on the blog and United will implement a new policy of strict inventory control.
no, I wouldn’t blog about that.

sometimes, a great FA gives me a bottle of wine. I don’t dare blog about it for fear the FA will get in trouble.
seat38a likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

img

David
Interesting that they are being distributed in trays. My last flight offering cookie pies served them up warm but still wrapped in the individual-packaging plastic (odd throwback). So I had assumed they were all still catered individually wrapped, and the FAs were taking them out to serve on napkin/plate. But I guess, unsurprisingly, there is variation.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Whoa. I just went to select my meal for this Friday's 7pm LAX-DEN flight and there are now FIVE (5) options.
A little veggie-heavy but still a pleasant surprise. Think I'll try the burger this time.

cczzll likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.