Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Forgot this. Is there some spoon shortage or some Covid rule on spoons in Hawaii? Same situation at the HNL United Club. Other cutleries are metal except for the spoons both inflight and at the United Club.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: UA/CO
4/18 DCA - DEN. No PDB. "Meal" was a small mozzarella and tomato bagged sandwich. The refill of my gin and tonic was gin and tonic poured into my old glass with no ice. Blargh.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
4/19 AUS-ORD. PDB offered. Flight labeled as snack and sure enough, the dreaded 'Revive' snack box made an appearance. Great service from the new flight attendant up front.

For comparison, flew down AA ORD-AUS on 4/15 and they had two options: 1 - Charcuterie plate, large fruit bowl, and desert or 2 - fresh fruit platter, overnight oats with fruit compote, and desert.

Night and day really. Overnight, AA has been able to surpass UA product on these 900-1500 mile flights.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by r_tsunami
SFO to HNL
UA 1275

Choice of Thai Chicken Curry, Cauliflower Croquettes with Orzo or Beef.

Tried the cauliflower option which was frankly awful. Tasted like the oven of the aircraft. Served with some too bitter to eat red cabbage and over cooked oily orzo. The Thai curry didn’t look as bad. I would’ve been happier with a tapas box or a Trader Joe’s microwave meal.

The reason the "red cabbage" was too bitter to eat is because it is radicchio, not red cabbage.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:33 pm

Flying United First RDU - SFO and my documentation states Dinner. Since RDU is not a Hub does that mean no preordering? My return flight SFO - RDU states Breakfast which I am thinking I might be able to preorder since SFO is a Hub. RDU doesn't seem to be popular on here and I have been looking but no luck.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Blueeyed1
Flying United First RDU - SFO and my documentation states Dinner. Since RDU is not a Hub does that mean no preordering? My return flight SFO - RDU states Breakfast which I am thinking I might be able to preorder since SFO is a Hub. RDU doesn't seem to be popular on here and I have been looking but no luck.
SFO hasn't being doing pre-order...at least I haven't heard about it. But I haven't flown a long enough flight for a meal in a few months. But I will the first week of June...SFO-DCA.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
SFO hasn't being doing pre-order...at least I haven't heard about it. But I haven't flown a long enough flight for a meal in a few months. But I will the first week of June...SFO-DCA.
Thank you! It has been a long time since I have been to the west coast. And my first flying First.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
SFO hasn't being doing pre-order... ...
SFO-IAH, 2 weeks ago for a morning flight had pre-order
BlueZebra and Blueeyed1 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
IAH-GUA 4/13 Snack, 738
Water/Sparkling PDB. The classic Mozzarella/Tomato or Chicken Pesto ovenable sandwich served. We had one of each, and there was so much grease in the warmed sandwiches that it had soaked through the paper and then fully leaked out in a pool onto the plate when opened. Really nasty. Perfunctory service from a very young crew - nothing proactively offered, but refilled if asked. The 25 year old 738 was really showing its age - coffee machines not working due to water pump issue, the INOP sticker showed a date of 4/1, so they were just flying it around for over a week that way.

GUA-IAH 4/18 Snack, 738
Water/Sparkling PDB. Locally-made sandwiches from the GUA station served, choice of Chicken and Tomato or Cheese and Cucumber and they were much, much better than the outbound - wrapped in foil and tasted fresh. Crew had come off a layover and were proactive and relatively friendly.

IAH-SFO 4/18 Dinner, 739
Full PDB offered. Pre-ordered the Chicken Latin Rice entree, alternate choice was Ragu. Same as the last 8.5 months now. In the air, began with drinks, followed by standard tray service - Entree with a bowl of grapes on the side, bread. The entree quality was the absolute worst quality version of the Latin Chicken I've had (out of maybe 50 occurrences) - the chicken was extremely small and looked pre-chewed, maybe a tablespoon of rice. All looked lost on the plate. Amazing that after serving the exact same thing for months and months, instead of perfecting something, it continues to be hit or miss.

The biggest crime of all was that there was no Pie In The Sky loaded - according to the FA, none were loaded due to a "shortage" ... so instead of providing something else, they provided nothing in its place.

It is very hard to be positive around the service, honestly. In the last month I've flown DL/AA/AS/B6 on various sectors, and UA is dead last in onboard soft service offering - choice, quality, quantity. The 738s and 739s are really showing their age, too, and the planes were filthy due to the reduced cleaning procedures - seat, floor, tray table, seat pocket on all flights. Fares have crept way up. I really hope it turns around soon - and not in six months and a set of "pilot markets" like we are seeing, but in a systemwide and meaningful way.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
But hey- 3 for 3 on some form of PDB is still an improvement, right?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-MIA 20 April 650 pm seat 4E

No PDB. Drinks served with choice of sandwich or snack box. One refill proactively offered. Got a third on my own initiative about 40 mins before landing. Very few people chose to wear masks, for what that’s worth.

Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
is that one of the heartburn sandwich choices?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
is that one of the heartburn sandwich choices?
Looks like the old tomato mozz.
st530 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:07 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by physioprof
The reason the "red cabbage" was too bitter to eat is because it is radicchio, not red cabbage.
Yes and it IS bitter. I like bitter but it can catch you way off guard if you're not expecting it.
r_tsunami likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’m surprised radicchio hasn’t been Kirby’d away, iceberg is cheaper
r_tsunami likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.