Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Lunch was Chicken or Ravioli. Here’s that chicken option that everyone has probably seen. Question: I thought transcon routes were Thai chicken or is that only certain transcon routes?
Thai chicken or butternut squash ravioli on eastbound routes, chicken with morel sauce or Cacio e Pepe on westbound flights.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR-LAX UA2069
10-Row Polaris 767-300 Seat 5L
1/18/21
Meals: Lunch, Snack

Meal started with WARM nuts (my first post pandemic warm nuts) and drink service for which I went with Nicholas.

And this was a distinct service from actual lunch and not me pulling the nuts and champagne glass off the tray and making a picture out of it like my Polaris flight a few weeks back.

Lunch was Chicken or Ravioli. Here’s that chicken option that everyone has probably seen. Question: I thought transcon routes were Thai chicken or is that only certain transcon routes
Trancon meals are directional - eastbound is different from westbound. The morel sauce chicken is one of the better ones.

Originally Posted by EWRSNA
I flew SEA-EWR a few days ago and there was a catering mishap where I think only 8 of 12 meals were catered. What's the proper order to determine priority of meals in that situation? It looked like the 2 GS got it first, then paid fares by status, then upgrades by clearance order. FA's seemed to be really thoughtful in allocating them and those who missed out were given snack boxes and/or BoB burgers. I had the Mexican Chicken, which I thought was great.

P.s. also had the Thai Chicken on LAX-EWR last week and thought it was the best UA meal I've had in recent memory.
The first class FA can tell the passenger's status, but cannot tell by purchased fare vs. upgrade from their standard screen or printout. However, if they went above and beyond and review the upgrade list, that is not SOP, and shouldn't have treated that way.
flyingrohit and EWRSNA like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Trancon meals are directional - eastbound is different from westbound. The morel sauce chicken is one of the better ones.

The first class FA can tell the passenger's status, but cannot tell by purchased fare vs. upgrade from their standard screen or printout. However, if they went above and beyond and review the upgrade list, that is not SOP, and shouldn't have treated that way.
But they can see Non-revs from what I understand.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a
But they can see Non-revs from what I understand.
Thanks both. I'm confident they did review the upgrade list as I was cross referencing with the list myself and the two people who cleared at the gate didn't receive meals and two others who cleared in advance (I'm not sure where they were on the list) also didn't receive meals. Possible that's a coincidence, but I think unlikely. FA was hopping all around the cabin and pausing with her phone between taking meal selections. I was very impressed with how it was handled.

If that's not SOP, what is? Purely by status?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thanks both. I'm confident they did review the upgrade list as I was cross referencing with the list myself and the two people who cleared at the gate didn't receive meals and two others who cleared in advance (I'm not sure where they were on the list) also didn't receive meals. Possible that's a coincidence, but I think unlikely. FA was hopping all around the cabin and pausing with her phone between taking meal selections. I was very impressed with how it was handled.

SOP is to go through the cabin methodically, front to back or back to fromt, and get the each person's primary and secondary requests. Then in the galley by status, prioritize who gets their 1st or 2nd or 3rd. Not hopping around the cabin by status.

David
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Chicken breast or ragu polenta with side of fruit, brownie thing, and bread roll.
No. ORD-PHX/PHX-ORD only get sandwich. Snack box if requested, instead. Flight falls 60 mi under hot meal minimum.
MatthewLAX and LordDenton like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
No. ORD-PHX/PHX-ORD only get sandwich. Snack box if requested, instead. Flight falls 60 mi under hot meal minimum.
oof.

David
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Yeah, I honestly misread that and thought the poster asked about PHX-EWR. My bad.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.

Perhaps they knew of the shortage before departure and reviewed the pax list with the gate agent?

Someone mentioned that SOP is to just go through the cabin asking for 1st/2nd choices without regard to status and sort it out in the galley, but I see the hopping around the cabin with a reasonable amount of frequency.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
EWR-LAX UA2069

Meal started with WARM nuts (my first post pandemic warm nuts) and drink service for which I went with Nicholas.
Nicholas Feuillatte Champagne in domestic J? I'm impressed!

-FlyerBeek
marks88 and flyingrohit like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:31 pm

UA2002 SFO-IAD 763, other choice was Italian Ragu

Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR-LAX UA2069
10-Row Polaris 767-300 Seat 5L
1/18/21
Meals: Lunch, Snack

And this was a distinct service from actual lunch and not me pulling the nuts and champagne glass off the tray and making a picture out of it like my Polaris flight a few weeks back.

Lunch was Chicken or Ravioli. Here’s that chicken option that everyone has probably seen. Question: I thought transcon routes were Thai chicken or is that only certain transcon routes?
img

pre arrival usual hummus or deli plate.
img

crew was super friendly and thought it was a good idea to drop grapes in front of me for no reason….it was a good idea.
img

and that’s it, just wrapped up a big product delivery in india so last of the what seemed like a weekly Polaris and domestic meal flights for a while now. Looking forward to everyone else’s usual pictures and updates!
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Nicholas Feuillatte Champagne in domestic J? I'm impressed!

-FlyerBeek
Hope I'm not bursting any bubbles (), but I suspect it was Charles de Fere (current standard domestic F sparkling) rather than Nicolas Feuillatte (current standard ex-US Polaris champagne). If Feuillatte were to bubble up (ok, now I apologise) on a domestic flight, though, I would be pleasantly surprised!
SPN Lifer, FlyerBeek and st530 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by fumje
Hope I'm not bursting any bubbles (), but I suspect it was Charles de Fere (current standard domestic F sparkling) rather than Nicolas Feuillatte (current standard ex-US Polaris champagne). If Feuillatte were to bubble up (ok, now I apologise) on a domestic flight, though, I would be pleasantly surprised!
You maybe right though I could've sworn I saw the purser walking around with a bottle of Nick at one point and this did taste just like the bubbles I had on my inbound Polaris flight from Mumbai:

which was definitely Nick. Oh well maybe someone else can report back what they have on their next PS flight.
SPN Lifer and FlyerBeek like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
JFK-SFO
January 22, 2021
UA 523

Lukewarm cheese ravioli.

Lackluster service.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fumje
Darn fumje! You definitely burst my bubble! I had a whole bottle of Nicholas Feuillatte to myself flying HND-ORD earlier this month. The FAs were fantastic with top-offs. It would indeed be a pleasant surprise to see it domestically (for a while in 2020/2021, AA was serving proper Champagne in Flagship transcon J - its now back to prosecco, though).

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.