Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Thoughts from The Crew of UA Flight xxx

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Thoughts from The Crew of UA Flight xxx

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 757FO
Not sure on number 4, probably both! You would be surprised how often I get told that they have flown a Boeing on Microsoft Flight Simulator, and that they are 100% confident they could operate a jet. Maybe every 3rd or 4th trip someone will say that to me.
I don’t know if I should laugh or be amazed that so many people actually believe playing an airline simulator makes them qualified to fly an airliner.

Thanks for the humor and for all you do!

it’s nice to see that the people keeping us safe are real people.
renila and nnn like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2021 at 11:44 pm Reason: Remove response to deleted content
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
Suspect that autocorrect got to IAH-OIL-TRASH 's post. Here's what was likely being referred to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower

David
Yes - Willis Tower (née Sears). UA HQ is a tenant.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:33 am

Perhaps there is an internal UA employee forum where you can complain about customers and your airline?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:33 am Reason: Personal comments about posters are not allowed
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks for posting 757FO

As a request in the other direction -- Would you consider turning on Channel 9 ATC more often on suitably equipped aircraft?

Not all pax who listen to it are lawyers looking for an excuse to sue the airline, most of us find it fascinating, educational and demystifying a lot of what the flight crew does. It's one of the few things that truly differentiate UA over other carriers these days.
uanj, halls120 and artvandalay like this.

Last edited by Ryu2; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
(4) It's impressive you have 2000 hours playing flight simulator at home, but no, you wouldn't be able to take-off or land a real airliner.
Look, I just think you should know I'm a non-current PPL with 400 hours in single engine piston aircraft. So if you both eat the fish, I'm in 10F ready to step in with a vague idea of what that N1 gauge means. I think for the safety of the flight you, and everyone around me, should know!
Yes, I do think it's an important enough safety of flight conversation to interrupt whatever checklist you're currently running.

(Clearly sarcasm, I quietly walk to the back )

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You may have elite status with the airline, but you are not an "elite" human being. A little humility goes a long way...
That should be an adage. Whoever quoted that has done the same job as me. I also believe that those who are in the Galley are there to serve the customers and look after them If there was one thing that I would say drove me madder than anything else were people who studiously ignored the Safety Briefing. I know that you have seen it 100s of times, but a few minutes costs nothing. It is not for the crew's benefit. They have been trained and are regularly tested. Even worse are those who insist in talking through it. I have stopped the demo before now and asked in no uncertain terms for quiet. Since I think that people's concentration span is that of a cricket, any attempt to deliver the information in a way that captures attention is good. When I was young I had an oxygen mask fly out of my hand when we were displaying that it had to be pulled to get the oxygen to flow and the thing hit me hard enough to make me squawk. Two people burst out laughing and the cabin collectively stopped reading the paper and watched to see what they had missed,

Still in these days of fighting and drunken brawls this pales into insignificance. I do not often visit this Forum so I hope that you do not mind me contributing, These may be thoughts from United personnel but it could be BA or Air France
1P, SPN Lifer, halls120 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:18 am Reason: Let's not go OMNI/PR
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:04 am

Happy New year to you all at UA and other airlines, also a special thank you for the post!

I personally can not take offence when it comes to people's attire with a political statement, or a t-shirt with Sex pistols for that matter, but....
Hello Kitty pyjamas,
Thats where i draw the line. Should be banned on all airlines, continents and SpaceX.
It for sure ruins the wellbeing and tranquility of its surroundings, as specially if worn by a middle aged person with matching fluffy slippers.

This is half written as a joke from a less then perfect human being, but with a grain of seriousness. It seems that some of the corporate world has taken it upon itself to police the freedom of, non violent, expression of opinion.
chavala likes this.

Last edited by Stil; Jan 1, 2022 at 6:50 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, Amex
It's impressive you have 2000 hours playing flight simulator at home, but no, you wouldn't be able to take-off or land a real airliner.
This is a fun one for me.

My day job as an engineer is mainly centered around simulation development in an automotive / motorsport environment. At home I enjoy doing the flight sim thing for fun.

At least in my industry, even with professional grade simulators with millions of dollars that go into it, it's still not a replacement for the real thing.

I think it's easy for people to fall into the mindset that simulator = reality, which just isn't the case regardless of whether it's a consumer or professional setting. A tool in the toolbox and has its purpose, but there's a limit to everything.
Pat89339 and 757FO like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I do not often visit this Forum so I hope that you do not mind me contributing.
I love the fact you are on this board. I found flyertalk 15 or so years ago by following a link to one of your posts. Your information and storytelling had me hooked!
PUCCI GALORE and 24left like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
(4) It's impressive you have 2000 hours playing flight simulator at home, but no, you wouldn't be able to take-off or land a real airliner.
I'd love to see this one played out. Not on a real aircraft of course, but at least in a real simulator. Lets see how close they can actually get to landing before crashing and killing everyone on board!

(10) We want you to be comfortable during your flight, but please give some thought and a quick look in a mirror before you wear your comfy clothing. Hello Kitty PJ's are cute for bed time, but not to travel in as a 30 year old!
Good thing you work for United and not Eva. I'm pretty sure that statement would get you immediately terminated over there!
benewr likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Since I think that people's concentration span is that of a cricket, any attempt to deliver the information in a way that captures attention is good. When I was young I had an oxygen mask fly out of my hand when we were displaying that it had to be pulled to get the oxygen to flow and the thing hit me hard enough to make me squawk. Two people burst out laughing and the cabin collectively stopped reading the paper and watched to see what they had missed,
OK, in the communications/service world insulting the attention span/intelligence of the people/customers you are trying to communicate with is usually not a good place to start and is likely not going to solve the communications issue. If people are not receiving the message, the question is why. what are the barriers to communication? Do you know your audience? (mixed ages, languages, cultures...the nuances of the english language are many, time zones, personal distress etc.). Do you know your subject? how many times has the briefing been jumbled, interrupted, in error, read from a script, etc. people learn to tune out errant or 'noise'. Is the message clear and concise or is it mixed with other messages easy to miss (adverts, flight/service announcements that are easy to tune out, etc.). Does the PA system always work the way you think it does? Adults learn/retain information by working through a problem/concept, not by being lectured/told to do something, so a safety briefing usually gets tuned out just because of how brains are wired.

So it's not really that all folks have low attention spans. it is the environment/learning environment you face. Some awareness of this would help in communicating the message instead of generalizing all customers as having low attention spans. Have a nice day.
Roger Lococco, jtet and jcmalcolm like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 2aislesRbetterthan1
I think in general, flight attendants do a decent job but they also need to stop acting like they are god and most of your points above prove me right. FA's can get carried away and get out of control and in my opinion are the root cause of some of the air rage incidents. Some know how to talk to people, others have the 'its my way of the highway;' attitude which leads to the escalation of incidents. If I want to wear a Lets Go Brandon shirt, so what. Maybe I am a fan of Brandon the race car driver. Your arrogance in many of your above points make it glaringly obvious that you think passengers should basically sit in their seat for xxx hours and simply shut up and not say anything. Don;t take this the wrong way but you sound like old school United. To me, you just come across as someone who feels people on your flight should just sit back, shut up and not say anything, wear a plain blue shirt and blue jeans, no hat. This is the exact reason I largely avoid flying United. Thanks for reinforcing that.
This is not just a jab at United, but lately, when I fly, I feel that the FA's get angry/upset when;

1. I ask (nicely)for something
2. Ring the call button (once, maybe twice - finally giving up after 20 minutes of waiting)
3. Bring my mask down (repeatedly) to drink/eat
4. Walk to the back galley to wait for the bathroom
5. Walk to the back galley to ask for a beverage/snack because the call button gets ignored.

Some.not all FA's. have sucked all the joy out of flying.
I've witnessed enough abuse of power by FAs in my travels that I always comply immediately with their requests, no matter how ridiculous (and believe me, I heard some whoppers). I am mostly traveling for work and can't afford to be given a scarlet letter by an airline. As such, I never use the "call" button, and walk to the galley to request drink refills (I always fly in F or J), and also often bus my own trash. I never complain about anything and never write to 1Kvoice anymore so that I don't get any bad "social credit" score in my record.

OP mentioned the "tool(s)" they have to deal with but, I've seen at least as many FAs that were tools as pax. In fact, I think that the pandemic has exacerbated the abuse of power moves by FAs.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get to work, so I never bore FAs with stories of my job or lifestyle etc., and never give them any lip.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've witnessed enough abuse of power by FAs in my travels that I always comply immediately with their requests, no matter how ridiculous (and believe me, I heard some whoppers). I am mostly traveling for work and can't afford to be given a scarlet letter by an airline. As such, I never use the "call" button, and walk to the galley to request drink refills (I always fly in F or J), and also often bus my own trash. I never complain about anything and never write to 1Kvoice anymore so that I don't get any bad "social credit" score in my record.

OP mentioned the "tool(s)" they have to deal with but, I've seen at least as many FAs that were tools as pax. In fact, I think that the pandemic has exacerbated the abuse of power moves by FAs.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get to work, so I never bore FAs with stories of my job or lifestyle etc., and never give them any lip.
I think this sums up how a lot of FF's feel, myself included. Board plane, take seat, be as quiet as a church mouse and try never to bother the FA's.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth

You have been trained well.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Thanks for this, and participating on FT. As a pilot myself (no type ratings, but still have an ATP license) my personal favorites are #3 and 4. Sorry that you and your crew have to deal with the worst of the worst while doing your job, which is complicated enough without the harassment from spoiled and drunk passengers.

Happy New Year to your crew, and hope to fly with you and your crew in 2022.
757FO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.