Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Your unused PlusPoints are being extended to Jan 2023 (or July 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your unused PlusPoints are being extended to Jan 2023 (or July 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Thanks - so hopefully by 11/15 we should get some update on the Jan ‘22 expiring Plus Points.

Basically I want to know if I should simoly flush them on humdrum 737 domestic flights over winter break or be able to wait and try for more glamorous options next summer/fall…
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Thanks - so hopefully by 11/15 we should get some update on the Jan ‘22 expiring Plus Points.

Basically I want to know if I should simoly flush them on humdrum 737 domestic flights over winter break or be able to wait and try for more glamorous options next summer/fall…
im trying to use up mine. Don’t see them extending beyond June.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Collierkr
im trying to use up mine. Don’t see them extending beyond June.
Same here, only have 80 PP expiring so using them all up this month on transcon flights.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:12 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
There is a 41.584% chance United extends PlusPoints
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I don't think they will. Business is picking up, and you should apply them. I'm burning them at the moment.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by seanp7
I don't think they will. Business is picking up, and you should apply them. I'm burning them at the moment.
I agree. If you've got a way to use them, do it. Business is really picking-up for all airlines and I don't see any reason for UA to extend them. All of my airline travel is already booked through January and I will have over 500 pts expire worthless then that, in spite of my best efforts, I have been unable to use.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Apparently, UA is still deciding:
Originally Posted by https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-airlines-mileageplus-exec-explains-how-2021-went-and-what-to-expect-in-2022

Right now, we’re in the point in time where international markets are just starting to open up. So we’ve got about two or three good months of international traffic. We want to see what the environment looks like, and we’ll make a decision
Oct 23rd article
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:54 pm

If history continues (minus covid extensions), hoping for at least 80 points extended to April 2022 for renewed 1Ks.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:54 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Given that this topic is always highly speculative (until UA actually does something, that is!), I'll add blatant fantasty to the thread and say I wish UA would let us burn PP on award tickets this year. As a one-time perk, to be clear. I've got a lot of PP (240?) sitting around set to expire, but I've already requalified for 1K and don't have any business travel. I'm planning to burn miles for any random travel between now and the end of the year. Being able to apply PP to award tickets instead of just letting them expire would be nice!

(and... I get CPUs on award tickets anyway, so the PPs wouldn't make a big difference. But it'd make me feel like I was doing something with them!)
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by QBK
Given that this topic is always highly speculative (until UA actually does something, that is!), I'll add blatant fantasty to the thread and say I wish UA would let us burn PP on award tickets this year. As a one-time perk, to be clear. I've got a lot of PP (240?) sitting around set to expire, but I've already requalified for 1K and don't have any business travel. I'm planning to burn miles for any random travel between now and the end of the year. Being able to apply PP to award tickets instead of just letting them expire would be nice!

(and... I get CPUs on award tickets anyway, so the PPs wouldn't make a big difference. But it'd make me feel like I was doing something with them!)
that would be interesting indeed.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I was wondering at what point points are 'used' so that they do not expire. If you 'spend' them on confirmed PZ>0 space for a flight after the expiration date, and they are deducted from your account, are they 'used'?

Certainly if you are waitlisted for a flight and they are not deducted for a confirmed upgrade before the date, then they are not 'used' in time.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure this is the right thread, but here goes.

Where do July 2022 expiry pluspoints come from? I know two people with points showing that expiration (among other dates that do make sense to me). Neither have asked for or been given extensions, and they've both had them that way for months at least. They don't know how they got them.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
.... If you 'spend' them on confirmed PZ>0 space for a flight after the expiration date, ...
Not possible to do. PlusPoints can not be waitlisted past their expiration date. PlusPoints can only be used for flights prior to their expiration.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
My real question was...are the points consumed when they are deducted from your account or when the flight occurs?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
My real question was...are the points consumed when they are deducted from your account or when the flight occurs?
When the upgrade is confirmed (but can be returned if you / UA cancel the flight). You can waitlist for more flights than you have PlusPoints as long as you have enough unused PointsPlus. This is a change from the way GPUs were handled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.