Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

Old Jun 2, 22, 2:44 pm
  #796  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,482
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I don't expect this one to be particularly challenging, but I always get nostalgia when I see it. Where am I?

img
Is this above a ticket counter somewhere? The font almost looks like PMUA, but I think not quite?


Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
What hub is this at? Bonus points if you can name the exact location. (Non-SIDA Area, but not usually seen by passengers)

img
I feel like the carpet tells me IAD C/D, but I can't guess exact location. (Never seen or at least not noticed that!)
fumje is offline  
Old Jun 2, 22, 3:17 pm
  #797  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I feel like the carpet tells me IAD C/D, but I can't guess exact location. (Never seen or at least not noticed that!)
I did debate cropping out the carpet... It's rather telling!

It's at the rotunda of the lower floor next to the D16 Elevator. There's multiple SIDA area doors there, but the rotunda is, technically, not a SIDA area itself. IAD is unique in that it has quite a few areas like that.
fezzington is offline  
Old Jun 2, 22, 3:20 pm
  #798  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 13,228
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Is this above a ticket counter somewhere? The font almost looks like PMUA, but I think not quite?
It is above a ticket counter, yes. The font and general styling has been that way for a long time (indeed pre-merger), hence the nostalgia for me

Honestly surprised it wasn't pounced on immediately.
findark is offline  
Old Jun 2, 22, 8:21 pm
  #799  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,482
Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
I did debate cropping out the carpet... It's rather telling!

It's at the rotunda of the lower floor next to the D16 Elevator. There's multiple SIDA area doors there, but the rotunda is, technically, not a SIDA area itself. IAD is unique in that it has quite a few areas like that.
I've never thought to actually go down there, although I think like many others, I have peered down there a few times in passing. Just kind of feels off limits!

Originally Posted by findark View Post
It is above a ticket counter, yes. The font and general styling has been that way for a long time (indeed pre-merger), hence the nostalgia for me

Honestly surprised it wasn't pounced on immediately.
I'll throw out a guess of JFK, then. I don't think that's right, but I can't come up with another idea!
FriendlySkies likes this.
fumje is offline  
Old Jun 3, 22, 3:23 am
  #800  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SEA-NYC-AMS/RTM-INN-VIE
Programs: Fmr. UA 1K
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
That looks a lt more like EWR C-2 to me...
Also an acceptable response... pulling into C3 but most of the image was indeed C2
SPN Lifer likes this.
N107UA is offline  
Old Jun 3, 22, 9:41 pm
  #801  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,689
Which airport? Which plane and seat? Extra points: which gate?



David

p.s. What color was my shirt?
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 3, 22, 10:23 pm
  #802  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,457
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Which airport? Which plane and seat? Extra points: which gate?



David

p.s. What color was my shirt?
I have little confidence in my guesses here but...

LAX
Terminal 7, Gate 76....Probably using the 76W J-line (as opposed to 76A or B)
I don't have enough wide bodies under my belt to have a good guess there other than based on the size of the cargo door it's something that can take LD3s...so for United that means widebody and probably one of the stubbier ones like a 787-8 or 762. [though typing that the other part of my brain is screaming that with only a belt loader in frame its unlikely to be widebody...aaargh]
Right side window seat relatively far forward.
Salmoni-ish shirt.
lincolnjkc is online now  
Old Jun 4, 22, 12:07 am
  #803  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Kansas | Colorado Native
Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,775
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Which airport? Which plane and seat? Extra points: which gate?

David

p.s. What color was my shirt?
PHX?
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:28 am
  #804  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,689
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
I have little confidence in my guesses here but...

LAX
Terminal 7, Gate 76....Probably using the 76W J-line (as opposed to 76A or B)
I don't have enough wide bodies under my belt to have a good guess there other than based on the size of the cargo door it's something that can take LD3s...so for United that means widebody and probably one of the stubbier ones like a 787-8 or 762. [though typing that the other part of my brain is screaming that with only a belt loader in frame its unlikely to be widebody...aaargh]
Right side window seat relatively far forward.
Salmoni-ish shirt.
LAX is correct.

Aircraft was a 763 (A/C #6668).

Turns out we were departing out of 76A - so that's a minor detail since you'd noted your reasoning.

Turns out as well that the shirt was one of my bright pink ones. Really close though.

I'll leave it open as to which seat I was sitting when I took the shot. I suspect that either Kmxu or N107UA will complete the answer as soon as I post.

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:25 am
  #805  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SEA-NYC-AMS/RTM-INN-VIE
Programs: Fmr. UA 1K
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
LAX is correct.

Aircraft was a 763 (A/C #6668).

Turns out we were departing out of 76A - so that's a minor detail since you'd noted your reasoning.

Turns out as well that the shirt was one of my bright pink ones. Really close though.

I'll leave it open as to which seat I was sitting when I took the shot. I suspect that either Kmxu or N107UA will complete the answer as soon as I post.

David
If it's a 763 then I'd think it's gotta be 1L
N107UA is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 2:16 pm
  #806  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,689
Originally Posted by N107UA View Post
If it's a 763 then I'd think it's gotta be 1L
Well, well:



David
Xyzzy, BThumme and N107UA like this.
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:41 pm
  #807  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 13,228
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I'll throw out a guess of JFK, then. I don't think that's right, but I can't come up with another idea!
Nope!

I sadly did not take a wide-angle photo for the reveal, so here's a random stock shot of the same view:

findark is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:46 pm
  #808  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SEA-NYC-AMS/RTM-INN-VIE
Programs: Fmr. UA 1K
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Nope!

I sadly did not take a wide-angle photo for the reveal, so here's a random stock shot of the same view:

SFO!
N107UA is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:52 pm
  #809  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,482
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Nope!

I sadly did not take a wide-angle photo for the reveal, so here's a random stock shot of the same view:

img
Hah, and now it looks so familiar. Just never looked really closely up there, I guess. I guarantee I am never going to not notice it now!
ll22949, FriendlySkies and N107UA like this.
fumje is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 4:40 pm
  #810  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 3,457
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Hah, and now it looks so familiar. Just never looked really closely up there, I guess. I guarantee I am never going to not notice it now!
SFO is my least transited (particularly landside!) hub but that soffit is pretty iconic; my problem was once my brain started screaming "IAD! IAD! THAT'S THE IAD FONT!" even when it was dismissed as not IAD my brain wouldn't shut up
lincolnjkc is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread