Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

The UA Frequent Flyer Quiz Thread: Where Is This?

Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I don't expect this one to be particularly challenging, but I always get nostalgia when I see it. Where am I?

img
Is this above a ticket counter somewhere? The font almost looks like PMUA, but I think not quite?

Originally Posted by fezzington
What hub is this at? Bonus points if you can name the exact location. (Non-SIDA Area, but not usually seen by passengers)

img
I feel like the carpet tells me IAD C/D, but I can't guess exact location. (Never seen or at least not noticed that!)
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
I feel like the carpet tells me IAD C/D, but I can't guess exact location. (Never seen or at least not noticed that!)
I did debate cropping out the carpet... It's rather telling!

It's at the rotunda of the lower floor next to the D16 Elevator. There's multiple SIDA area doors there, but the rotunda is, technically, not a SIDA area itself. IAD is unique in that it has quite a few areas like that.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is this above a ticket counter somewhere? The font almost looks like PMUA, but I think not quite?
It is above a ticket counter, yes. The font and general styling has been that way for a long time (indeed pre-merger), hence the nostalgia for me

Honestly surprised it wasn't pounced on immediately.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
I did debate cropping out the carpet... It's rather telling!

It's at the rotunda of the lower floor next to the D16 Elevator. There's multiple SIDA area doors there, but the rotunda is, technically, not a SIDA area itself. IAD is unique in that it has quite a few areas like that.
I've never thought to actually go down there, although I think like many others, I have peered down there a few times in passing. Just kind of feels off limits!

It is above a ticket counter, yes. The font and general styling has been that way for a long time (indeed pre-merger), hence the nostalgia for me

Honestly surprised it wasn't pounced on immediately.
I'll throw out a guess of JFK, then. I don't think that's right, but I can't come up with another idea!
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: Fmr. UA 1K, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That looks a lt more like EWR C-2 to me...
Also an acceptable response... pulling into C3 but most of the image was indeed C2
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Which airport? Which plane and seat? Extra points: which gate?

David

p.s. What color was my shirt?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee

David

I have little confidence in my guesses here but...

LAX
Terminal 7, Gate 76....Probably using the 76W J-line (as opposed to 76A or B)
I don't have enough wide bodies under my belt to have a good guess there other than based on the size of the cargo door it's something that can take LD3s...so for United that means widebody and probably one of the stubbier ones like a 787-8 or 762. [though typing that the other part of my brain is screaming that with only a belt loader in frame its unlikely to be widebody...aaargh]
Right side window seat relatively far forward.
Salmoni-ish shirt.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

David

PHX?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I have little confidence in my guesses here but...

LAX
Terminal 7, Gate 76....Probably using the 76W J-line (as opposed to 76A or B)
I don't have enough wide bodies under my belt to have a good guess there other than based on the size of the cargo door it's something that can take LD3s...so for United that means widebody and probably one of the stubbier ones like a 787-8 or 762. [though typing that the other part of my brain is screaming that with only a belt loader in frame its unlikely to be widebody...aaargh]
Right side window seat relatively far forward.
Salmoni-ish shirt.
LAX is correct.

Aircraft was a 763 (A/C #6668).

Turns out we were departing out of 76A - so that's a minor detail since you'd noted your reasoning.

Turns out as well that the shirt was one of my bright pink ones. Really close though.

I'll leave it open as to which seat I was sitting when I took the shot. I suspect that either Kmxu or N107UA will complete the answer as soon as I post.

David
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:25 am

LAX is correct.

Aircraft was a 763 (A/C #6668).

Turns out we were departing out of 76A - so that's a minor detail since you'd noted your reasoning.

Turns out as well that the shirt was one of my bright pink ones. Really close though.

I'll leave it open as to which seat I was sitting when I took the shot. I suspect that either Kmxu or N107UA will complete the answer as soon as I post.

David
If it's a 763 then I'd think it's gotta be 1L
Old Jun 6, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N107UA
If it's a 763 then I'd think it's gotta be 1L
Well, well:

David
Xyzzy, BThumme and N107UA like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'll throw out a guess of JFK, then. I don't think that's right, but I can't come up with another idea!
Nope!

I sadly did not take a wide-angle photo for the reveal, so here's a random stock shot of the same view:

Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:46 pm

Nope!

I sadly did not take a wide-angle photo for the reveal, so here's a random stock shot of the same view:

SFO!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope!

img
Hah, and now it looks so familiar. Just never looked really closely up there, I guess. I guarantee I am never going to not notice it now!
ll22949, FriendlySkies and N107UA like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Hah, and now it looks so familiar. Just never looked really closely up there, I guess. I guarantee I am never going to not notice it now!
SFO is my least transited (particularly landside!) hub but that soffit is pretty iconic; my problem was once my brain started screaming "IAD! IAD! THAT'S THE IAD FONT!" even when it was dismissed as not IAD my brain wouldn't shut up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.