Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flights rebooked to first in the morning (WX irrops), hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:01 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

Will united pay for or help get a hotel room at their rate? I've had this happen previously and I used to travel insurance but I was reimbursed only $100 out of $300 hotel bill. So I figured I'd ask this question here and see what unit can do as I am no longer purchasing travel insurance after that.
​​​​​​
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by scottemick
Will united pay for or help get a hotel room at their rate? I've had this happen previously and I used to travel insurance but I was reimbursed only $100 out of $300 hotel bill. So I figured I'd ask this question here and see what unit can do as I am no longer purchasing travel insurance after that.​​​​​​
what was the reason for the rescheduling?

You can always ask them for a distressed traveler rate.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:40 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

The reason was a flight delay of united that made me miss my connection due to weather I think... I heard them talking about putting people up in hotels at the other airport.. I came from Portland Maine and now I'm in Newark.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If weather was truly the reason for the flight disruption, United is not liable for hotel costs. That being said, United has been known to provide hotels room vouchers for upper-tier MileagePlus members, which you may have overheard being discussed. That benefit usually kicks in at the 1K level so, unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to get United to cover your costs. It doesn't cost anything (other than time) to try though...
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:53 pm

If it's weather on an intl journey crossing continents, then *Gold should be enough under star alliance rules.

WHy did your travel insurance only cover partial? May want to look at credit card trip insurance, they often do pay out properly up to the limits (typically $500) as long as you follow the rules (must purchase partially or entirely with card)
​​​​​​
see. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-benefits.html
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The reason was a flight delay of united that made me miss my connection due to weather I think... I heard them talking about putting people up in hotels at the other airport.. I came from Portland Maine and now I'm in Newark.
if the cause of the delay was weather, the. UA will generally not put you up in a hotel, and you need to make your own arrangements. All they will generally do is book you on the next flight with available space. Sometimes, they will book 1ks in a hotel, but not anyone else.

if UA caused the delay (ie, mechanical delay), then UA will generally put you up in a hotel if they can’t get you to your destination same day. Even then, sometimes it’s not always easy.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It depends on many things. What is the final destination? Do you have status on UA or *A? Are you flying in J/F?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
If it's weather on an intl journey crossing continents, then *Gold should be enough under star alliance rules.

WHy did your travel insurance only cover partial? May want to look at credit card trip insurance, they often do pay out properly up to the limits (typically $500) as long as you follow the rules (must purchase partially or entirely with card)
​​​​​​
see. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-benefits.html
This thread reminded me that I've had 3 unplanned overnights this year due to WX. I was out-of-pocket for all of them and I just forgot to look into my trip delay insurance. The earliest was in April, can I still go back and request credit (I have CSR)?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
This thread reminded me that I've had 3 unplanned overnights this year due to WX. I was out-of-pocket for all of them and I just forgot to look into my trip delay insurance. The earliest was in April, can I still go back and request credit (I have CSR)?
IF it's csr, go post in that thread. Other credit card providers have their own threads.

Generally there is a time limit on filling a claim across any insurance (30-360 days, csr is 60 days)
zombietooth likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought I'd come back and update this. I was flying from Portland Maine to Cleveland via ORD. I was booked in D First Class. I overheard United assisting some travelers to get hotels in Portland ME.
My flight was delayed so I missed my connect in Chicago. In Chicago I was told United was "out of hotel rooms".
I stayed at a Hilton property using points...I have 1.2 million, enough points to spare.
The reason I don't buy insurance anymore from United's vendor, is they limit claims to $100 per day for delayed flights...
Maybe if I called their help line they might find me a hotel for that rate, but the first time I used it I booked my own hotel with Hampton for > $300. I got reimbursed $100.
Live and learn I guess.
I'm surprised that my flights in Z and D don't rate any assistance for delays/cancellations though.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I thought I'd come back and update this. I was flying from Portland Maine to Cleveland via ORD. I was booked in D First Class. I overheard United assisting some travelers to get hotels in Portland ME.
My flight was delayed so I missed my connect in Chicago. In Chicago I was told United was "out of hotel rooms".
I stayed at a Hilton property using points...I have 1.2 million, enough points to spare.
The reason I don't buy insurance anymore from United's vendor, is they limit claims to $100 per day for delayed flights...
Maybe if I called their help line they might find me a hotel for that rate, but the first time I used it I booked my own hotel with Hampton for > $300. I got reimbursed $100.
Live and learn I guess.
I'm surprised that my flights in Z and D don't rate any assistance for delays/cancellations though.
Of course UA assists 'some' travelers ... it depends on the reason for the delay whether UA will cover it or not. What was the reason?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:25 pm

I believe the OP said WX.

Regardless, I do not pay for UA Insurance nor depend on my 1K benefit. I use my credit card trip interruption insurance as paperwastage mentioned, which (to me) is easier to deal with and more valuable. My recommendation is to get a credit card with travel insurance built in and charge your flights to it going forward.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Class of service for domestic flights are irrelevant for weather related IRROPS.
Trip interruption insurance coverage is the primary reason why I got the CSP for airline ticket purchases, although I have yet to file a claim since UA paid for hotels on 2 overnight missed connections in 2020, 1 was WX but I asked as 1K. I never consider buying rip insurance through UA or any airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.