FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Should I pay $700 to go from Silver to Gold? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2061947-should-i-pay-700-go-silver-gold.html)

Lauren Yanthis Dec 13, 2021 3:37 pm

Should I pay $700 to go from Silver to Gold?

Is it worth it the difference between silver and gold in your opinion? I typically take about 70-80 flights a year domestically as I do consulting, but I’m not 100% loyal to an airline (if price is right). It I do like United the best and tend to take it much more.

if I spend another $700 I could make Gold by upgrading to first class on a a couple flights this year and paying for bonus PQP on anything left. I do travel internationally for pleasure a couple times a year, so that’s part of what’s making me think it might be worth it. I’m a newbie so any help is appreciated!

myperks Dec 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lauren Yanthis (Post 33809493)
Is it worth it the difference between silver and gold in your opinion? I typically take about 70-80 flights a year domestically as I do consulting, but I’m not 100% loyal to an airline (if price is right). It I do like United the best and tend to take it much more.

if I spend another $700 I could make Gold by upgrading to first class on a a couple flights this year and paying for bonus PQP on anything left. I do travel internally for pleasure a couple times a year, so that’s part of what’s making me think it might be worth it. I’m a newbie so any help is appreciated!

E+ at the time of reservation would be enough for me to go for it considering getting an annual E+ subscription is about the same.

Lauren Yanthis Dec 13, 2021 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 33809566)
E+ at the time of reservation would be enough for me to go for it considering getting an annual E+ subscription is about the same.

Good point - it’s probably worth the anxiety if not knowing where I can upgrade to at check-in to just do it when I book. Thanks for the comment

lamphs Dec 13, 2021 4:15 pm

I am in the same situation. I did do a round trip in November spending about the same amount of $. Having E+ at booking is worth it, but I also do some intl travel in Y, so having lounge access outside of the US is helpful also.

Clemson Dec 13, 2021 4:19 pm

As myperks said, E+ at booking for yourself and a companion is pretty useful. Gold will also get you Group 1 boarding and I've basically never had an issue finding overhead space even boarding at the end of Group 1. These alone would be enough to justify Gold for me if you typically fly Economy.

If you do any international travel, getting access to Star Alliance lounges even in economy is also pretty nice if you don't otherwise have lounge access.

wingnuthead Dec 13, 2021 4:37 pm

This....
I'm going to us my Flex PQP to jack myself to Gold. Just a couple of thousand PQP away, flew the rest in 2020. Definitely worth it for the OP if they fly that many domestic segments. I do domestic and international, but tend to do more international, so Star Gold is way worth it, even though I also have the awesome Priority Pass....

Originally Posted by Clemson (Post 33809600)
As myperks said, E+ at booking for yourself and a companion is pretty useful. Gold will also get you Group 1 boarding and I've basically never had an issue finding overhead space even boarding at the end of Group 1. These alone would be enough to justify Gold for me if you typically fly Economy.

If you do any international travel, getting access to Star Alliance lounges even in economy is also pretty nice if you don't otherwise have lounge access.

kyleclogan Dec 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lauren Yanthis (Post 33809576)
Good point - it’s probably worth the anxiety if not knowing where I can upgrade to at check-in to just do it when I book. Thanks for the comment

I know it isn’t United, but it’s at least somewhat of a data point. Pre-COVID, I had the lowest AA status, which allowed MCE (E+) at T-24. I was 100% for hitting those seats at check in on domestic, business heavy routes. Even today, I notice that there are always MCE seats at check in

kevflyer Dec 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kyleclogan (Post 33809882)
I know it isn’t United, but it’s at least somewhat of a data point. Pre-COVID, I had the lowest AA status, which allowed MCE (E+) at T-24. I was 100% for hitting those seats at check in on domestic, business heavy routes. Even today, I notice that there are always MCE seats at check in

That's because some elites previously in MCE seats got upgraded at or prior to T-24. Same thing happens on UA flights, plus elites can SDC at T-24, potentially freeing up more E+ space.

But of course I can't say that's 100%, and you may only end up getting a middle E+ seat. That's especially true on sold-out Hawaii flights.

8MiHi Dec 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Gold is an optimal status. It gets you a lot at a level of flying that is more reachable. If you achieve Gold and then get a CC that gives you Priority pass you would be truly prepared for an upgraded travel experience.

Collierkr Dec 13, 2021 8:51 pm

If you have that velocity of future travel then definitely do it and put it to use in 2022

CApreppie Dec 13, 2021 9:22 pm

Silver is about like having a United Explorer credit card except you get E+ access at check in for yourself. I think if one proactively goes for status, the target is Gold or higher.

halls120 Dec 14, 2021 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Lauren Yanthis (Post 33809493)

if I spend another $700 I could make Gold by upgrading to first class on a a couple flights this year and paying for bonus PQP on anything left. I do travel internally for pleasure a couple times a year, so that’s part of what’s making me think it might be worth it. I’m a newbie so any help is appreciated!

If you travel internationally, absolutely yes. Star Gold makes international travel much nicer.

gaobest Dec 14, 2021 12:45 am

Gold only matters if you travel internationally with Star Alliance and you’re *G for the intl lounges (partners for UC). You didn’t mention your personal travel prefs - *G is useless for UC and a Y ticket in USA. Overseas *G with any class will get you into the partner lounges esp LH SEN in Germany - oh boy those are nice.

note - I rarely fly and only fly paid F domestic usa.

uanj Dec 14, 2021 1:31 am

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 33810577)
Gold only matters if you travel internationally with Star Alliance and you’re *G for the intl lounges (partners for UC). You didn’t mention your personal travel prefs - *G is useless for UC and a Y ticket in USA. Overseas *G with any class will get you into the partner lounges esp LH SEN in Germany - oh boy those are nice.

note - I rarely fly and only fly paid F domestic usa.

I don't think Star Gold on United is useless in the US. If you book Y you get Y+ at time of booking, additional luggage allowance, priority boarding if that is important to you. If you fly out of airports like IAD or LAX a lot you have access to Star lounges (just not United Clubs) though they may not be close to the gate, Agreed that the advantages are even greater when you fly internationally in Y.

ani90 Dec 14, 2021 3:28 am

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 33810638)
I don't think Star Gold on United is useless in the US. If you book Y you get Y+ at time of booking, additional luggage allowance, priority boarding if that is important to you. If you fly out of airports like IAD or LAX a lot you have access to Star lounges (just not United Clubs) though they may not be close to the gate, Agreed that the advantages are even greater when you fly internationally in Y.

I believe he was referring to the specific benefit of Star Alliance Gold being useless in the US for domestic UA itineraries. The benefits of United Gold of course exists as others have pointed out.