Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Old Jul 20, 22, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
I called to assign seats to my UA award but subsequently downloaded the VA app and was able to change seats. Maybe try the app?
The app totally worked
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 12:01 pm

Disappearance of VA awards on UA?

I am unable to see any Virgin Australia awards using United's search, across multiple routes and dates across multiple months. Called in and agents also see no availability. I searched very recently, maybe last week and there was ample space on several domestic routes from SYD->XXX. Does anyone have any experience with all partner award space disappearing?

Last edited by Alexje4400; Sep 16, 22 at 3:07 pm Reason: Virgin Australia not Virgin Atlantic
Old Sep 16, 22, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alexje4400 View Post
I am unable to see any Virgin Atlantic awards using United's search, across multiple routes and dates across multiple months. Called in and agents also see no availability. I searched very recently, maybe last week and there was ample space. Does anyone have any experience with all partner award space disappearing?
VA Virgin Australia or VS Virgin Atlantic?
VA Virgin Australia is now a UA ff partner

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...-partners.html UA not listed
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-partners.html VS not listed
Old Sep 16, 22, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
VA Virgin Australia or VS Virgin Atlantic?
VA Virgin Australia is now a UA ff partner
Virgin Australia, my bad
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Trying to fly where and when on VA?
Well worth comparing award cost vs cash price on VA, QF, JQ, REX, depending on route.
Old Sep 16, 22, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
OK. Trying to fly where and when on VA?
Well worth comparing award cost vs cash price on VA, QF, JQ, REX, depending on route.
I was hoping to make an award booking from CLE-> IAH ->SYD->XXX in J around the end of the year. I'd be fine booking cash, adding an additional SYD->XXX segment on VA at the end reduces the price from 360k (ew) to 200k (less ew). I went to book this today and the VA awards are nowhere to be found. I can't find a single one.
Routing through IAH is best since there are multiple flights from CLE and seems the least risky in case of flight delays or cancellations in the US in December.
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:20 pm

Any suggestions on how to escalate this issue with United? It seems like a big issue that an entire airline partner with hundreds of flights and connections from United flights has disappeared.
Old Sep 20, 22, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA
I just did a search, and it looks like VA flights aren't showing up in the cash search either. A search for SYD-MEL only returns on Qantas and QantasLink.
Alexje4400 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 8:09 pm

This thread has been quiet for a while. Has anyone tried booking intra-Australia award flights recently. I'm trying to search over multiple months and get "We couldn't find a flight". Perhaps the same issue affecting NZ searches
Old Oct 2, 22, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Just got back from an award flight to Australia on UA/VA. SFO-SYD-OOL, OOL-SYD (excursionist perk), SYD-SFO. All flights in business.

From an integration perspective, most everything worked perfectly. UA at SFO issued boarding passes for both flights, and tagged my one checked 'bag' (a box) to OOL. Australia requires all bags to be collected at point of entry, so I collected the 'bag' and took it to the Virgin transfer desk where they accepted it without re-tagging. I also added a second bag for check-in (I'd carried it onto the UA flight, but I knew it was too heavy for VA to allow that) which wasn't a problem.

Lounge access at both SYD and OOL was handled automatically by scanning the BP, although given I was in business class that wasn't surprising. The one thing that did seem missing was that my OOL-SYD boarding pass issued by Virgin didn't have any mention of status, which if I hadn't been in business class might have caused issues with getting priority security/boarding.

I confirmed with the staff at the lounge in OOL that my 1K status was sufficient to get access to the lounge, even when travelling on an economy flight on a domestic-only itinerary. As I was in business I can't comment on how smoothly my status-related benefits would have worked, as I got them due to the cabin.

The only real negatives of the trip were related to the VA transfer desk in Sydney. Firstly Virgin are not operating their own bus between terminals as they used to do (and as Qantas is once again doing), which means you have to catch the airports free T-bus between terminals - which annoyingly leaves from the exact opposite end of the terminal to the Virgin transfer desk. And secondly, the VA transfer desk isn't well signposted (you basically need to know it exists and be headed towards it before you see the signs). I knew it existed and where it was, so that wasn't a problem for me - but clearly most people didn't. That means that almost everyone catching the T-Bus were carrying their checked luggage with them (despite most of it already being tagged on VA to somewhere beyond Sydney), which significantly slowed down the process of loading the bus.

If you're making the transfer to VA, after coming through customs, turn LEFT and head to the end of the terminal. Once you start heading in that direction you'll see the signs.
SPN Lifer and Revenge like this.
Old Oct 3, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, United Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Just got back from an award flight to Australia on UA/VA. SFO-SYD-OOL, OOL-SYD (excursionist perk), SYD-SFO. All flights in business.
Lounge access at both SYD and OOL was handled automatically by scanning the BP, although given I was in business class that wasn't surprising. The one thing that did seem missing was that my OOL-SYD boarding pass issued by Virgin didn't have any mention of status, which if I hadn't been in business class might have caused issues with getting priority security/boarding.

I confirmed with the staff at the lounge in OOL that my 1K status was sufficient to get access to the lounge, even when travelling on an economy flight on a domestic-only itinerary. As I was in business I can't comment on how smoothly my status-related benefits would have worked, as I got them due to the cabin.
I've used my United Premier Gold Status many times flying domestically in Australia on VA in economy and can confirm that it works fine, but the lounge staff need to do something manual to check you in, you can't just scan the boarding pass and go.

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
The only real negatives of the trip were related to the VA transfer desk in Sydney. Firstly Virgin are not operating their own bus between terminals as they used to do (and as Qantas is once again doing), which means you have to catch the airports free T-bus between terminals - which annoyingly leaves from the exact opposite end of the terminal to the Virgin transfer desk. And secondly, the VA transfer desk isn't well signposted (you basically need to know it exists and be headed towards it before you see the signs). I knew it existed and where it was, so that wasn't a problem for me - but clearly most people didn't. That means that almost everyone catching the T-Bus were carrying their checked luggage with them (despite most of it already being tagged on VA to somewhere beyond Sydney), which significantly slowed down the process of loading the bus.

If you're making the transfer to VA, after coming through customs, turn LEFT and head to the end of the terminal. Once you start heading in that direction you'll see the signs.
Yes the T-Bus (sometimes called the Bus of Sadness) is a pain!
Old Oct 3, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
I've used my United Premier Gold Status many times flying domestically in Australia on VA in economy and can confirm that it works fine, but the lounge staff need to do something manual to check you in, you can't just scan the boarding pass and go.

Yes the T-Bus (sometimes called the Bus of Sadness) is a pain!
Take the train? Less sad perhaps
Old Oct 3, 22, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
Take the train? Less sad perhaps
Paying A$7.79 for a 2 minute train trip between terminals is a different type of sad...
findark likes this.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwoods Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by simong View Post
This was my thought too, this is very interesting news and will probably cause me to switch my domestic flying here to Virgin. Should mean I get to 1K quicker as well as I already have a SYD-DPS coming up. Any other reports of PQP posting would be good to see.
Virgin Australia now shows up as a Preferred Partner on United's site for Premier qualifying credit. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html

Does anyone know how I can figure out the United fare classes for my three Virgin Australia flights? I purchased them through Virgin Australia. Am trying to figure out the corresponding UA fare classes so I can figure out how many UA miles and PQP I might earn. Is it just the first letter of the VA fare basis? Fares are:
1) Flex - Fare Basis:LZFL0
2) Choice - Fare Basis:RLCH0
3) Choice - Fare Basis:IZCH0A7

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by chev7; Yesterday at 12:40 am
Old Yesterday, 5:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chev7 View Post
Virgin Australia now shows up as a Preferred Partner on United's site for Premier qualifying credit. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html

Does anyone know how I can figure out the United fare classes for my three Virgin Australia flights? I purchased them through Virgin Australia. Am trying to figure out the corresponding UA fare classes so I can figure out how many UA miles and PQP I might earn. Is it just the first letter of the VA fare basis? Fares are:
1) Flex - Fare Basis:LZFL0
2) Choice - Fare Basis:RLCH0
3) Choice - Fare Basis:IZCH0A7

Thanks in advance!
Check this thread. Hopefully, the PQP calculator has been updated with the inclusion of VA.
Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Search this Thread