Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Nonrev (Standby) on UAL from US Mainland to Guam via NRT - Confirmed Onward Required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nonrev (Standby) on UAL from US Mainland to Guam via NRT - Confirmed Onward Required?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

So I am thinking about flying to Guam from US Mainland. When I tried to list on the United Passrider website, it gave me the option to fly via NRT. I called the Helpdesk and they said it shouldn't be a problem having a space available reservation (standby) as opposed to a confirmed ticket.

I was wondering if anyone has done that or can provide any advice. My biggest concern is that, I won't have a confirmed ticket (though space is widely available). On Timatic, it says confirmed onward ticket is required to transit in Tokyo (TWOV), and for the obvious reason that we cannot enter Japan at the moment due to covid restriction. Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnsw1988

I was wondering if anyone has done that or can provide any advice.
Instead of playing with uncertainty - fly Mainland - HNL - GUM
Old Dec 10, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
It’s possible and been done. If you get bumped/misconnect/IRROP in NRT, you overnight while transiting airside in a designated area with restrictions on movement.

If you check the standby listing, you’ll see many are also flying via LAX/SFO/EWR. Routing via HNL is cheaper on taxes/fees, and currently operates with the 77W with Polaris. Leaving GUM, I recommend NRT since transiting HNL that way is essentially US international connection minus Immigration. The taxes/fees aren’t as high in that direction either.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ALGU
It’s possible and been done. If you get bumped/misconnect/IRROP in NRT, you overnight while transiting airside in a designated area with restrictions on movement.

If you check the standby listing, you’ll see many are also flying via LAX/SFO/EWR. Routing via HNL is cheaper on taxes/fees, and currently operates with the 77W with Polaris. Leaving GUM, I recommend NRT since transiting HNL that way is essentially US international connection minus Immigration. The taxes/fees aren’t as high in that direction either.
Thanks for the feedback!

It looks like right now NRT route is better due to availability in J despite the higher taxes.

like I said, I think I’m just concerned getting denied boarding for not having a “confirmed” ticket.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johnsw1988
Thanks for the feedback!

It looks like right now NRT route is better due to availability in J despite the higher taxes.

like I said, I think I’m just concerned getting denied boarding for not having a “confirmed” ticket.

Thanks again!
You might also post this on the "Japan" forum under "Destinations" as there are likely more who could respond to your question there.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm not sure what would be allowed on non-rev tickets, but there's an interesting thread (with experiences) in the ANA forum.

NRT isn't setup for overnight connections, although in extraordinary circumstances this appears to be allowed.
Timatic rules state that a Covid test isn't required for GUM if arriving from the USA, in which case you wouldn't be, so a valid test would be necessary within 1 day of departure from the embarkation point; I'd worry that if you'd overnight in NRT, some staff may interpret that NRT is the embarkation point (since you didn't have a confirmed connection) and a new test would be required, which is impossible to do airside at NRT.

My opinion would be it isn't worth the stress unless you can confirm the onward flight from NRT.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I'm not sure what would be allowed on non-rev tickets, but there's an interesting thread (with experiences) in the ANA forum.

NRT isn't setup for overnight connections, although in extraordinary circumstances this appears to be allowed.
Timatic rules state that a Covid test isn't required for GUM if arriving from the USA, in which case you wouldn't be, so a valid test would be necessary within 1 day of departure from the embarkation point; I'd worry that if you'd overnight in NRT, some staff may interpret that NRT is the embarkation point (since you didn't have a confirmed connection) and a new test would be required, which is impossible to do airside at NRT.

My opinion would be it isn't worth the stress unless you can confirm the onward flight from NRT.
in terms of testing, I think it should be ok bc cdc website stated that no testing required when transiting in different country:

If you booked an itinerary from a U.S. state or territory to another U.S. state or territory and the itinerary has you taking a connecting flight through a foreign country, CDC does not require that you be tested. An example of this situation is an itinerary booked between the Northern Mariana Islands (a U.S. territory) and the U.S. mainland via Japan.

As for my connection, it will be 2.5 hours outbound and 1.5 hours inbound between EWR-NRT//NRT-GUM and vv.

Unless my first leg is significant delayed, I think I thought be okay. I’ll have binaxnow kit handy with me just in case. I’ll definitely report back, after this trip. Push comes to shove, I’d just have to fly via HNL which highly likely in Y lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.