Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
(bolding mine)

Uh, you're the first who's posted a 7/2023 expiration date for PPs. Are you sure it is 2023?

David
Pretty sure they meant 7/22, not 7/23.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
Seems TPG got more inside info from United including reduced qualifications for next year as well.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...e-status-2022/
Surprised it took so long for them to post. Was waiting for something out from them yesterday.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kb1992
1K since 2006, last qualification was 2019 for 2020.

Won't hit 1K qualification spend this year. Have 10800 PQP for the year.

1K status is not extended to 1/2023, because I am a GS companion.

PP extended to 7/2023
Status is irrelevant for you, as you'll always carry the status of your sponsor.

Your PPs were not extended to 2023 because UA made a mistake.

They treated Companions & LT MMs as already qualified when launching the FttF/BoB promos, however, treated them as non-qualified when extending PPs -- resulting in a 6-month extension vs a 12-month extension.

Hopefully, they'll correct the mistake.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:28 pm

I’m going to venture and guess those whose employers have relationships with United got extended. (As well as international MP members.)

There was a strange corporate PQP stater deposit this year for certain MP members that I think is somewhat related.

I got extended. Zero UA flights this year, other than an AC flight booked through United.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

Your PPs were not extended to 2023 because UA made a mistake.

They treated Companions & LT MMs as already qualified when launching the FttF/BoB promos, however, treated them as non-qualified when extending PPs -- resulting in a 6-month extension vs a 12-month extension.

Hopefully, they'll correct the mistake.
They also denied Companions for FttF promotion.

I spent $4,000 for a single ticket in late August and should make 1K on my own.

But UA won't recognize it despite of repeated emails to MP.

As the result, I didn't get 280 PP.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
(bolding mine)

Uh, you're the first who's posted a 7/2023 expiration date for PPs. Are you sure it is 2023?

David
Fixed. It's 7/2022.

I was drunk :-)
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I decided not to pursuit FttF and have 7500 PQP YTD, including the 3800 PQP gift and 400 PQP from Corporate member bonus. I am glad that I did not spend the extra money, especially since I had to cancel a trip to Portugal when new restrictions were implemented Dec. 1.

I appreciate the status extension, although LT Gold is sufficient for my planned international travels in 2022. The PP extension to 7/2022 means I am now planning an extra trip to Europe (I don't expect Asia to be really open) before July, so UA is getting extra spend from me.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kb1992
Fixed. It's 7/2022.

I was drunk :-)
Its ok - UA's nuts.

David
greg99 and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Relax. I expect some additional goodies will be awarded to 'qualifiers' when the formal announcement is made.
I highly expect you will be wrong. I am annoyed with this non-announcement for a number of reasons: aside from the fact that I went out of my way to spend extra money that I did not need to, United waited until literally 3 weeks before the end of the year and after the promotions expired, there is still no clear public announcement, and it seems on top of this, the extensions are selective based on some random, unknown criteria.

All in all, the whole thing is just shady.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My card also says 1/23. But I DID meet the FttF yet no extra PPs and my current ones expire 7/22

Before mass extensions how about finish the FttF and BoB accounting, UA?
In the exact same boat as you. Did meet the 1K requirements via FTTF, no extra PP deposited, all PP (except the ones I earned to reach Plat) expire in July of 2022.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
I reported earlier that I re-qualfied as 1K via FttF on Nov 21. A day later, my PQPs were posted with 200 old ones expiring on 1/31/2022 and the new 320 PQPs good through 1/31/2023. And my digital card says 1K through 1/31/2023. No e-mail received and the status tracker not updated as UA is waiting until 12/21 or something like that.
The odd thing is that upon checking my PQPs today on the website (same on the app), now all my PQPs show good through 1/31/2023.
Anyone else see a change in the expiry date of your old PQPs?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
In the exact same boat as you. Did meet the 1K requirements via FTTF, no extra PP deposited, all PP (except the ones I earned to reach Plat) expire in July of 2022.
Originally Posted by selo
I reported earlier that I re-qualfied as 1K via FttF on Nov 21. A day later, my PQPs were posted with 200 old ones expiring on 1/31/2022 and the new 320 PQPs good through 1/31/2023. And my digital card says 1K through 1/31/2023. No e-mail received and the status tracker not updated as UA is waiting until 12/21 or something like that.
The odd thing is that upon checking my PQPs today on the website (same on the app), now all my PQPs show good through 1/31/2023.
Anyone else see a change in the expiry date of your old PQPs?
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I highly expect you will be wrong. I am annoyed with this non-announcement for a number of reasons: aside from the fact that I went out of my way to spend extra money that I did not need to, United waited until literally 3 weeks before the end of the year and after the promotions expired, there is still no clear public announcement, and it seems on top of this, the extensions are selective based on some random, unknown criteria.

All in all, the whole thing is just shady.
Surveyed some friends, and here are the results. Pretty interesting.

GS, zero flights for 2020 and 2021. Status extended to 1/23. Got 320 PP freshly deposited in July. 300 leftovers PP earned in 2019 are showing 1/23 expiration.

GS companion and 1K for many years, hit FttF promotion spend but was denied promotion. Made Platinum with 10800 PQP. All PP earned in 2019 are showing 7/22 expiration. 40 PP earned in 2021 for making Platinum shows 1/23 expiration.

1K for many years, 10000 PQP this year and didn't do FttF promotion. Got 320 PP deposited in July for no reason. These PP show 7/22 expiration, along with 280 leftovers PP earned in 2019. 1K status extended to 1/23.

Few other 1Ks qualified again under FttF promotion. Their PP are extended to 1/23 including earned in 2019.

Several Gold and Silver members both in the US and abroad reported that most of them got status extended. A few did not. I can't see any clear pattern.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Based in Asia and got the status and PP extension. The outcome for UA is that I will still try to fly their limited schedule vs flipping to SQ only. Tbh I really only fly 8 or so segments in the US a year, and on those I look forward to an E+ seat and a snack box (plus proactive IRROPS service) - upgrade is never expected.

I of course am biased toward myself, but with border shutdowns for most of the year plus United not even flying here until Jan 2022, I think it’s the right thing to do.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't have to. We know that 2019 was a record travel year, and that UA reduced thresholds considerably in 2020 and 2021. Whatever the current number is, it's more than what that number was at January 31, 2020, and I would imagine by a fairly large margin given how easy it was to requalify in 2021 in particular.

Are you flying? I've been flying more of less weekly since March 2020, and can tell you that the airports are packed, flights are packed, and UA upgrades are now close to nonexistent for me (AA is better, AS much better).

In any event, I don't think the basic point - that this extension reflects a massive ongoing dilution of the 1K program - can credibly be disputed.

I say this as a somewhat interested observer. I won't ever chase UA status again, and requalified this year purely by accident.
the ease of requalifying doesn’t increase 1Ks at all. By definition the number can’t increase. The only increase comes from those with lower status who met reduced thresholds. And, as I said, sure there are some/a lot, but we don’t know.

load factor isn’t really a useful comparator. Airlines have reduced capacity and not fully brought it back. And that’s before the huge drop in international flights, with a lot of people surely substituting leisure international for leisure domestic. That’s going to change as people live more with COVID.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
How very annoying. I spent $3k of my own money to make FTTF and here it is I could have stayed home with my feet up. I should have known better.
vdostoi1 and Say Vandelay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.