Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
I’ve talked with plenty of clients and friends who weren’t flying in 2021, that already have the mandate to be back on the road for 2022. I don’t think the argument that grounded 1K’s are going to remain grounded so who cares if they were extended, is going to continue to hold water.
I didn't say that they're going to remain grounded. That's nowhere in my post.

If you're a 1K and flying now, the competition within UA's MileagePlus program is with other 1Ks who are flying as well as GSs. I really don't care why folks aren't flying or whether they really need to keep 1K status if they don't fly.

If the grounded 1Ks fly again, I and others who are flying will deal with it accordingly.

David
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by DELee
I didn't say that they're going to remain grounded. That's nowhere in my post.

If you're a 1K and flying now, the competition within UA's MileagePlus program is with other 1Ks who are flying as well as GSs. I really don't care why folks aren't flying or whether they really need to keep 1K status if they don't fly.

If the grounded 1Ks fly again, I and others who are flying will deal with it accordingly.

David
Correct. Those of us International UA Premiers who were grounded last year were in no way a competition to those who actually managed to fly last year. We weren't on the upgrade lists, we weren't in the lounges, we weren't plugging up the priority boarding lanes. We were stuck at home. That was the reality. In my case, it was practically illegal to leave Australia unless you got an exemption from the government. But even if you did, you wouldn't have travel insurance since the Department of Home Affairs deemed every country other than New Zealand high risk meaning all travel insurance policies were voided. Even if you were crazy enough to apply for an exemption (and get it), and waive away your travel health insurance, the big question mark was when you could come back given flights back to Sydney were capped at 1,500 passengers PER week. Even if you could find space on such a flight, the fares were expensive to say nothing of the $3,000/person you had to spend on hotel quarantine. From the standpoint of an employer in Australia, why on earth would you have your employees travel internationally on business except for the most critical of business travel? Meanwhile those of us who put in the effort to earn our 1K status back in 2019 had very limited opportunity to use it in 2020. My last UA (and INTL for that matter) flight was at the end of January 2020 to Sydney from Heathrow, literally at the end of the program year. In other words I made 0 use of the Premier status I earned. What message would UA be sending to its loyal customers who put in the effort to earn Premier status but had 0 opportunity to use the earned benefits?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Americans have it so easy right now, it's a joke. They can fly throughout the US restriction free. They can fly to many countries in the world, again restriction free. They have earned how many Plus Points and other benefits I'll never see because I've been grounded in Australia until very recently. The only silver lining of this pandemic is it forced me to travel domestically for once and to try Qantas (and its status) for once.

-RooFlyer88
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
What message would UA be sending to its loyal customers who put in the effort to earn Premier status but had 0 opportunity to use the earned benefits?
Nothing. Take it up with the Australian government.

I have NEVER purchased any type of travel insurance when flying, and have never needed it.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by halsadick
I'm also Gold.They did not extend my status through 2022 (and I didn't earn enough PQP/PQF in 2021 to qualify for 2022). So I called MileagePlus customer service. I waited on hold for 90 minutes to talk to someone. Once I got a human being, I made my pitch. They put me on hold for five minutes to speak with their supervisor. And they approved my request! So, I'm now Gold through 01/31/2023.
As a follow up, I got an offer today from United to purchase Platinum status for 2022, with cash. No flight requirements at all. I jumped at it. Anything that allows me to get through security faster, get on the plane faster, and upgrade to the front cabin more often is something I'll happily pay cash for, if given the chance.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
As a follow up, I got an offer today from United to purchase Platinum status for 2022, with cash. No flight requirements at all. I jumped at it. Anything that allows me to get through security faster, get on the plane faster, and upgrade to the front cabin more often is something I'll happily pay cash for, if given the chance.
Status has no bearing on security speed.

Plat and Gold are both in boarding group 1.

In terms of upgrades, you would be higher on the list as a Plat than Gold; although I would not set high expectations, as overall upgrade probabilities are still tough in general.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Status has no bearing on security speed.

Plat and Gold are both in boarding group 1.

In terms of upgrades, you would be higher on the list as a Plat than Gold; although I would not set high expectations, as overall upgrade probabilities are still tough in general.
My mistake on the boarding group number part. I was remembering my "Silver" status, which is boarding group 2, I believe.

And my *memory* is that Platinum and above has a dedicated security line at some US airports. But I could be wrong.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
My mistake on the boarding group number part. I was remembering my "Silver" status, which is boarding group 2, I believe.

And my *memory* is that Platinum and above has a dedicated security line at some US airports. But I could be wrong.
this is called Premier Access.
You must have got a very attractive offer. Most offers posted on this thread were not. 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just FYI, I had a business partner just call the 1K desk and mildly complain that he didn't get his 1K status extended even though he was "close". I don't know exactly how close he was. They said they would take it under consideration and the next day he had his 1K status extended. I am waiting to hear how many if any PPs he was granted. So it is not too late to request extension apparently. BTW, thanks to FTers about bringing this to light. While we may think it is common knowledge when I told him about the possibility of an extension he had virtually no idea that that could possibly happen.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
this is called Premier Access.
You must have got a very attractive offer. Most offers posted on this thread were not. 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)
Not "very attractive" in any sense, compared to what folks are posting on that thread. More like average. But worth it to me I suppose. To be honest, I don't really even merit Gold status, in terms of actual travel--not in 2021 or 2020. So, UA extended me Gold in 2022 because I called and asked (and lucked out), and then they gave me the Platinum purchase offer (which, I admit, is less valuable than I was originally thinking, but I'm happy enough with).
uanj likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
How much did you pay for Plat?

There is no such thing. Even 1K or GS has NO dedicated security line. They are all dumped to the "Premier" line with silver.....
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
There is no such thing. Even 1K or GS has NO dedicated security line. They are all dumped to the "Premier" line with silver.....
Well not quite correct but I guess if you want to call GS access to security at some locations (ie. SFO) not a dedicated line. However, when you come out of the GS check in lounge they direct straight to the front of the line (at SFO when the door opens you are basically at the front of the line). So while not a "dedicated GS line" it is VERY nice. Basically a bit better than even Clear (at least at some locations).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nomad420
Well not quite correct but I guess if you want to call GS access to security at some locations (ie. SFO) not a dedicated line. However, when you come out of the GS check in lounge they direct straight to the front of the line (at SFO when the door opens you are basically at the front of the line). So while not a "dedicated GS line" it is VERY nice. Basically a bit better than even Clear (at least at some locations).
Oh. I never used that. Good to know
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All UA Premier elite members have complementary Premier Access. There is also an a la carte purchase option for non-elite.

Alternatively, you could look into TSA Pre ($85 for five years) or Global Entry ($100 for five years) for speedier security. Premier Access, when available, is merged with the regular security line.
SPN Lifer and kb1992 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Wow, then I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I got enough PQPs to get me to Platinum during 2021, but UA decided to extend my 1K for ANOTHER year. Considering I have been there fighting with other 1Ks for the upgrades and a lot of times even succeeding, I guess I will be giving UA plenty of trouble during all 2022. I really don't think I will be qualifying to 1K due to my tickets being extremely cheap, so due to PQPs not miles or segments flown because of planned travel (plenty of those during 2022). The sad thing is that living at a UA/AA hub, and with the implementation of Loyalty Points, I will also be leaving UA in January 2023, once I qualify to ExPlat through my Citi AAdvantage Credit Card consumption and my RocketMiles hotel stays.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 21, 2022 at 8:46 pm Reason: Off topic, we are discussion UA status extensions -- not credit cards or AA
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Same at ORD. Less so at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.