Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by misterfuss
My question is do I need to contact UA regarding my existing reservations so they can update them so I get potential upgrades sooner? I have two pending trips at this point.
No need to call United. Data sweeps update members' status and itineraries at least daily. You're probably already in the appropriate place on the upgrade list, based on your status.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CatHerder
Any suggestions?
You could try an email to the C suite, emphasizing your long-term loyalty to UA. I did this once with an email to Oscar and was surprised by the result.
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
A quick bit of background. I've been a 1K continuously since the mid-90's and was less than 100K short of 3 Million BIS miles when the pandemic hit. Since then I've been on a plane maybe 4 times (all on UA) due to company policy and at-risk family. I'm sitting at ~6K PQP and 4 PQF for the year.

When reports of status extensions started coming through, I patiently waited with bated breath. Alas, nothing. So this morning, I sent a polite request to 1kvoice asking if they would consider an extension given my long loyalty. I got back the following:
While obviously this is their choice, I'm wondering if I'm just getting an auto-response and there's a different escalation path I should follow.

Any suggestions?
Pretty harsh, maybe approach them with the what do I need to do by the end of the year to qualify question and maybe they will throw you a bone after hearing your story. I was just short and going to do a run next week to LAX and back but they bumped me to 1K so obviously no need.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Smile PQMs converted to PQDs 5:1

Originally Posted by kb1992
How did you transfer 200 PQP from 2011 to 2022?

This describes how PQMs were converted to PQDs

If I recall correctly, I got 1000 Flex PQMs from the Presidential Plus credit card back in 2011. The PQMs earned prior to 2012 didn't have an expiration date. Apparently, the 1000 Flex PQMs were converted to 200 Flex PQDs which I was able to use to get to the next level.
cfischer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: United MP 1K 1MM
280 Plus Points Added

Overnight 280 PPs were added to my account. My 1K status had been extended earlier. I have qualified for Platinum and will qualify for 1K Dec 29. Anyone else who got 1K extension but won't qualify for 1K under the reduced guidelines get the 280 PPs? Of course the system can determine I'm going to meet the requirement if I stick to my itinerary. But curious if that is a factor. I got a reply here on FT earlier that those who got extended to 1K would not get the accompanying PPs. So wondering what's going on.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
A quick bit of background. I've been a 1K continuously since the mid-90's and was less than 100K short of 3 Million BIS miles when the pandemic hit. Since then I've been on a plane maybe 4 times (all on UA) due to company policy and at-risk family. I'm sitting at ~6K PQP and 4 PQF for the year.

When reports of status extensions started coming through, I patiently waited with bated breath. Alas, nothing. So this morning, I sent a polite request to 1kvoice asking if they would consider an extension given my long loyalty. I got back the following:

While obviously this is their choice, I'm wondering if I'm just getting an auto-response and there's a different escalation path I should follow.

Any suggestions?
You can try calling the Premier line, perhaps escalating it if necessary. What I would also advise is that you strongly consider status matching with some other airline. There's at least two benefits that I see from this. First, you're guaranteed to have status next year with one of the US majors (e.g. AS, AA, DL), second and most importantly if you are a UA frequent flyer is you've got leverage on UA when you get fired by them. In particular, you can leverage the matched status you have with say DL to match back to UA next year so that you don't have to climb on the Premier treadmill from square 1. In my case, given UA wouldn't indicate one way or another if they'd extend my Premier status until like a week ago, I decided to match with QF (which gives me OneWorld status). Took one trip domestically in Australia (Sydney to Darwin) to hit the qualification criteria and now have status with them until November 2022. The other big benefit is you get to experience other airlines you would otherwise not try due to status. For instance, I can assure you that Qantas lounges are far superior to those dumpy United Clubs I've visited at SFO, EWR and ORD. Sure if I'm flying Polaris across the Pacific river, those Polaris lounges are super nice, but pre-pandemic I was doing a decent amount of travel at the back of the (air)bus mixing in a decent amount of domestic travel too.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
will United waive the requirement for 4 flights on UA? I have over 10,000 PQP but only 2 flights.
Only those outside the US had the 4 UA flights requirement waived (likely because it was illegal to fly on UA until November from most countries). If you are in the US you are a very fortunate traveller indeed in the sense that you had access to a ton of domestic (and some) international travel us outside the US haven't been granted until recently. For instance, as an Australian I could not leave my country since March 2020 until Nov 1, 2021 making any discussion of qualification on UA irrelevant (remember only one airline QF, flies domestically in Australia and they're partnered with OneWorld). Even inside the country rules would change constantly. Last year for instance I had flights booked to Perth and Brisbane which had to be cancelled because a couple people in Sydney got the sniffles. I'm really looking forward to next year where I can finally get out there and travel. For those Americans who didn't bother travelling this year, what the hell are you waiting for?

-RooFlyer88
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BiPlane
Overnight 280 PPs were added to my account. My 1K status had been extended earlier. I have qualified for Platinum and will qualify for 1K Dec 29. Anyone else who got 1K extension but won't qualify for 1K under the reduced guidelines get the 280 PPs? Of course the system can determine I'm going to meet the requirement if I stick to my itinerary. But curious if that is a factor. I got a reply here on FT earlier that those who got extended to 1K would not get the accompanying PPs. So wondering what's going on.
Highly unlikely. More likely you have already qualified for 1K (maybe via BoB) and don't realize it.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: United
Redeposited Plus Points - Extended too?

I have another TPAC flight where Plus Points were confirmed. I know have to cancel that flight. Given I made 1K outright, united has moved all my PPs to 1/30/23. Would I expect these redeposits to also get the same extension?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jrquad
I have another TPAC flight where Plus Points were confirmed. I know have to cancel that flight. Given I made 1K outright, united has moved all my PPs to 1/30/23. Would I expect these redeposits to also get the same extension?
Not necessarily. PPs are not deducted until actually flown. If you have any PPs from 2019, they will show the 07/31/22 expiration date.

David
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Highly unlikely. More likely you have already qualified for 1K (maybe via BoB) and don't realize it.
+1. I had 1K extended, but reached only platinum. Have 40 PP exp. 1/23, but the rest exp. 7/22.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jrquad
If not, call MP.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
will United waive the requirement for 4 flights on UA? I have over 10,000 PQP but only 2 flights.
I'm a Premier Gold and only have 3 of 4 flights this year on UA metal (one was a UA codeshare operated by ANA), but my status was extended to January 2023. I'm a Presidential Plus cardholder and transferred soon to expire flex PQPs to give me a total of 7,000 PQP for this year. One of the flights was a paid upgrade to international Polaris class. My employer also has a contract with United.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
Honestly, I don't think they will. Best thing you could do would be to spin a quick day trip, or get a co-branded Chase card ASAP. Other members might have different thoughts on this though.
The exception to the 4-segment policy for Chase cardholders went away in 2020 unfortunately.
am1108 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I highly expect you will be wrong. I am annoyed with this non-announcement for a number of reasons: aside from the fact that I went out of my way to spend extra money that I did not need to, United waited until literally 3 weeks before the end of the year and after the promotions expired, there is still no clear public announcement, and it seems on top of this, the extensions are selective based on some random, unknown criteria.

All in all, the whole thing is just shady.
For many of us, we are quite happy with the gifted status!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
FTTF and PP Update per 1K desk

Spoke an agent today at the MP 1K desk who spoke to a supervisor. This may be old news for many but here is a summary to the best of my ability of what he explained to me:
  • Some elites who qualified for either Platinum or 1K via FTTF challenge in late November and then also whose accounts were targeted for an extension did not get the PP automatically deposited. This is a known technical issue and there are many accounts with this issue
  • The PP will need to be applied manually (this is a software glitch) and there is no resolution time for this but was told that it may be early January at this point
Not sure what to make of this but this is what I found out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.