Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
Status tracker is back online. No changes on my end, or updates to any benefits. Still feeling slighted by the dilution of benefits with even more 1K in the pool.
Yes, status tracker page is back up - but missing a single critical tab/function: Prediction of qualification for future flights (https://mystatus.united.com/#tab--futureFlights).

David
GlobalServiced likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I hold off on the upset part until you get a better understanding of what they may be doing for 1K's who qualified in 2021 - whether it promos or something else. If they do nothing - then your outrage may be warranted - but I suspect we have more announcements coming for 2022.
I have no issue with anything UA has done so far, except how poorly they've communicated everything. Kirby wants UA to win based on high NPS (Net Promoter Score). The leading NPS companies are highly transparent -- even when communicating bad or unflattering news. Apple boldly conveys their pricing -- even though it's ultra-expensive. Amazon is highly transparent when it comes to return-processing -- even though it costs them tons of money.

UA should have come out and said who's getting what and who's not. Those left behind, wouldn't have liked it, but would've respected the direct and transparent communication.

Crisp and transparent customer communication is a core pillar of high-NPS companies. If Kirby wants to win the NPS game, he needs to convey the importance of this to his management team.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and DELee like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
Just the other week I did a SDC to an earlier flight and died at #1 on the upgrade list. Willing to bet if extensions weren't being granted all the time I'd have gotten the CPU.
Not sure extensions have much to do with this - is the hypothesis that CPUs (or mileage or PP upgrades) were already given to faux GS or 1Ks before you did the SDC? Not getting an upgrade was not uncommon even in preCOVID times and the roots may lie more in purchased tickets and purchased upgrades.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Status tracker is back online. No changes on my end, or updates to any benefits. Still feeling slighted by the dilution of benefits with even more 1K in the pool.
It is basically flat to 2019. Newbie 1Ks in 2020 and 2021 are a rounding error

And other than CPUs what is being diluted?
spartacusmcfly likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Not only flat to 2019, but it's also int'l heavy, as they weren't scheduled to be kicked out until 2020 -- which never happened.

And given most of those int'l 1Ks are still hibernating, I wouldn't worry about dilution. Flying 1Ks are sitting pretty!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR

Anyone that qualified organically this year for the first time, are now being thrown into a pool of carry-over 1K’s, so naturally the pool of flyers jockeying for upgrades is higher, hence a lower chance of clearing upgrades, hence a devaluation of the benefit.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
There are more 1K members in the pool? I don't think there's any way anyone here could know that. What we do know is some were extended and some were not, but we don't know how many "new" 1K members there are. It could be significant or it could be very very few. For all we know, it's possible there will be fewer 1K members in 2022 instead of more.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There are more 1K members in the pool? I don't think there's any way anyone here could know that. What we do know is some were extended and some were not, but we don't know how many "new" 1K members there are. It could be significant or it could be very very few. For all we know, it's possible there will be fewer 1K members in 2022 instead of more.
Whether there are more or less 1Ks in 2022 than in 2021 somewhat doesn't matter.

What matters is those who are actually flying, 1K and otherwise. Them's the ones doing things like WFBF.

Or for those 1Ks and GSs stuck in Y and E+, whether UA catering function will actually stock BoB and Bistro fare.

David
Boraxo and delpiero223 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Anyone that qualified organically this year for the first time, are now being thrown into a pool of carry-over 1K’s, so naturally the pool of flyers jockeying for upgrades is higher, hence a lower chance of clearing upgrades, hence a devaluation of the benefit.
First off, the “new organics” is likely a small number. Some who have carried status since 2019 are since retired or dead. Probably a net net rounding error

Re upgrades, extenders are not getting new PlusPoints so no battle there. So we are left with CPUs which will be similar in 2022 as this year.

And ultimately status isn’t relevant unless the person flies UA. Lots of folks will stay grounded through much of 22
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Whether there are more or less 1Ks in 2022 than in 2021 somewhat doesn't matter.

What matters is those who are actually flying, 1K and otherwise. Them's the ones doing things like WFBF.

Or for those 1Ks and GSs stuck in Y and E+, whether UA catering function will actually stock BoB and Bistro fare.

David
Agree. UA has said the customer profile has shifted somewhat from business to leisure and leisure passengers are less likely to have high MP status... at least one would think that.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Not sure many FTers would agree with you on it being a "rounding error". Personally I don't know as those numbers are a well kept secret.
There will certainly be some additional "dilution" of CPU and instrument assisted upgrades but from my perspective it has never been great and perhaps even just got a bit worse as you note. As I posted above I don't expect them and as long as UA doesn't mess much with the basic 1K benefits I can live with things.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
Not sure extensions have much to do with this - is the hypothesis that CPUs (or mileage or PP upgrades) were already given to faux GS or 1Ks before you did the SDC? Not getting an upgrade was not uncommon even in preCOVID times and the roots may lie more in purchased tickets and purchased upgrades.
You could be right. I changed flights quite late and CPU's were already given out so that could've been the cause. I could also argue that if no one had their status extended, then number of premiers < number of open seats and I would've received it. Although extensions may not have been the cause for not getting upgraded in that scenario, there have definitely been a few flights where I've been tied with 5 or 6 other 1K's and missing the upgrade. In my experience, CPU's are highly common. I'm a domestic flier (usually ~50-60 segments a year all in North America) so it's usually surprising if I'm not getting upgraded when flying to/from a city without a lot of business travel.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ComeFlyWithMe33
I am honestly upset that United offered to extend status for ANOTHER year as I hit 1K status this year on my own dime. My friend just got extended for another year (to 1K) and he has only been on one flight this year to visit family. Considering this is the second time that United is extending benefits to people who are not flying or spending enough I am pissed.
Would you not have taken these trips on UA if you expected an another extension? Did you pay extra to fly UA instead of another carrier where maybe you have zero status and would pay extra for everything? Did you really spend $18k to requalify for 1K, or perhaps quite a bit less under the many promo offers. My guess is no to all.

If your friend takes one trip a year how does that impact your perks? My guess is not at all. If you are not GS your upgrade odds at hubs are almost non-existant on popular routes.And of course the millions of Plats, Golds, Silvers will have no bearing on 1K upgrades.

This smacks of "I don't want anyone else to enjoy a few crumbs from UA because for gosh sakes I earned them". But of course many people don't really "earn" them with their own $$ they get status through business travel using OPM. Sorry but UA does not really care as to the source of funds - they just want you to fill their planes at the highest fares possible.

Originally Posted by DELee

David
Nails it 100%. Will the extension result in fewer CPUs or less PP upgrade space? I'm not sure it will be meaningful, especially not for 1Ks, Plats, Gold at hubs. I think the reduction in F fares has a bigger impact on the upgrades. And of course the rest of us stuck in the cattle section care more about E+ seating and catering.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Agree. UA has said the customer profile has shifted somewhat from business to leisure and leisure passengers are less likely to have high MP status... at least one would think that.
Definitely not to be understated/undersestimated. How many leisure travelers besides our friend ComeFlyWithMe rack up $18k in airfare a year on one airline, even more so during the COVID era? I'm betting not too many.

I wonder if the greatly reduced population of elites who are still flying every week are cleaning up? I know a few biz travelers who are back to normal, but many more who are not. It makes sense for UA to keep the latter group happy as some day soon they will be back in the air and may revisit the choice of provider. Most leisure travelers I know buy discount economy for the family travel based on price and schedule. Of course it doesn't hurt for UA to throw a few bones to these folks.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Would you not have taken these trips on UA if you expected an another extension? Did you pay extra to fly UA instead of another carrier where maybe you have zero status and would pay extra for everything?
Both are entirely possible, if not likely. Many people would pay extra to fly UA, or even take trips they don't need to take, if it means achieving a higher status, especially 1K.

What UA did is like launching a MilePlay promotion, and then after the promotion ends, deciding that everyone gets the bonus regardless of whether the requirements are met.

Last edited by blug; Dec 10, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by blug
Both are entirely possible, if not likely. Many people would pay extra to fly UA, or even take trips they don't need to take, if it means achieving a higher status, especially 1K.

What UA did is like launching a MilePlay promotion, and then after the promotion ends, deciding that everyone gets the bonus regardless of whether the requirements are met.
Not sure that analogy works well. Many here have stated UA did not extend their staus for 2022.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Dec 10, 2021 at 6:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.