Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Sure, it was also great to fly AA during the MRTC days, but it turned out that bet wasn't commercially advantageous - pax actually don't care about extra space they care about price and schedule.
No evidence DL was charging 1.5x the normal rate (or 2x for 2 seaters), so the carrier could recoup for the middle seat being blocked off. DL's overall fare has always been on the higher side in comparison to UA's loss leader pricing strategy.

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I just hopped off a premium t-con on AA J with a 4-course plated meal (2 appetizers, warm bread choice, 4 entree choices, 3 dessert choices)… glassware and even a real menu! Probably better than any meal on int’l UA J I’ve ever had pre-COVID. I won’t be losing out.
Even in t-con main cabin, you'd get a sandwich when flying with AA these days. Not great but better than a bag of pretzel for 6 hours+.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
The status tracker web site shows boxes checked through Platinum (my existing level) but the card in the app shows 1/2022 still; makes me think they did not extend it but there is a bug in the status web site.
They extended the 40 Plus Points to mid-2022 but if not Platinum, can they even be used after 1/31/22? (Why extend the points if someone can't use them? Or is that the point?)
It is very confusing with the mixed signals and paradoxes.
I have Gold in the bag with PQPs to spare with flights later this month and the Breakout Bonus/Fly to the Finish, but no idea if they mean to extend me or not...
Have had some kind of status since 2010; Plat in 2016-17 and since 2019. Gold many of the other years.
If they'd stop canceling meetings (they already announced that traditionally in-person meetings NEXT MARCH I would have booked by now will be virtual!) it would be a lot easier to fly.

Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UAzip
The status tracker web site shows boxes checked through Platinum (my existing level) but the card in the app shows 1/2022 still; makes me think they did not extend it but there is a bug in the status web site.
They extended the 40 Plus Points to mid-2022 but if not Platinum, can they even be used after 1/31/22? (Why extend the points if someone can't use them? Or is that the point?)
It is very confusing with the mixed signals and paradoxes.
I have Gold in the bag with PQPs to spare with flights later this month and the Breakout Bonus/Fly to the Finish, but no idea if they mean to extend me or not...
Have had some kind of status since 2010; Plat in 2016-17 and since 2019. Gold many of the other years.
If they'd stop canceling meetings (they already announced that traditionally in-person meetings NEXT MARCH I would have booked by now will be virtual!) it would be a lot easier to fly.
Raises an interesting question for anyone with PP who didn't (re)qualify.

But I don't see the obstacle to using PPs as a gold or silver, other than your status. It's like a mileage upgrade - you'd apply the PP and it would put you on the WL as instrument supported. But you'd just be that much further down the list (below 1K/Plat).

Slightly OT - I've always thought GPUs/PPs shouldn't expire, even if you don't requalify. Let people use them like mileage upgrades as described. Obviously you don't earn more - but so what if you (try to) spend them a year later.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
DP: Canada based 1K for 6 out of the last 8 years (don’t have five consecutive years). Extended to 1/23. Most of my historical flying was long haul intl, primarily to Asia. I flew mostly leisure trips in Y in 2021, all but one US/Canada. Doesn’t really make a difference to me as I would have requalified anyway from upcoming December travel because of the generous promos all year.

The extra pluspoints will be nice, now United just has to release more advance PZ inventory and I’ll be happy! (Hey, a guy can dream, right?)
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
10+ years as 1K, non-US flyer, flew well over 4 UA flights in 2021, about 500 short of PQP to requalify.

NOT extended.
10+ years as either 1K/GS, US based, just short of 1K PQP and was doing a "mileage run" in 2 weeks, but did get the bump to 1K this weekend. In my case I figure it would be an easy push to 1K so not really surprised.
As I posted above the big thing for me was PP extension and the ETC extensions to Jan 2023.
cesco.g and exbayern like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: Continental
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
If you genuinely think not a single case of COVID spread on a plane in the US, that is utterly delusional.
MY brother flew PHX -FLL on JetBlue and got covid.
Reported it to the airline, no response.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockey7711
MY brother flew PHX -FLL on JetBlue and got covid.
Reported it to the airline, no response.
How do he know he caught it on the plane, and not at security, at the gate, or somewhere else in the airport?
chavala and WasKnown like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A friend of mine reached 1k for the first time in 2019, 0 segments on UA or *A in 2020 and 2021, got extended.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bjdj94
How do he know he caught it on the plane, and not at security, at the gate, or somewhere else in the airport?
or in the hotel lobby, or a restaurant, or a grocery store, or..... ?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
Raises an interesting question for anyone with PP who didn't (re)qualify.

But I don't see the obstacle to using PPs as a gold or silver, other than your status. It's like a mileage upgrade - you'd apply the PP and it would put you on the WL as instrument supported. But you'd just be that much further down the list (below 1K/Plat).

Slightly OT - I've always thought GPUs/PPs shouldn't expire, even if you don't requalify. Let people use them like mileage upgrades as described. Obviously you don't earn more - but so what if you (try to) spend them a year later.
Does one keep the ability to redeem PP if status is below Plat? I remember back in 2012 when I was also AA Gold and purchased a couple "stickers" to upgrade a flight, and they warned me not to have leftovers if I wasn't going to retain status because only elites could redeem them--even if they were in my account as a general member, they'd be stuck there unusable. (It would have been interesting to see if I had left any there, would they still have been valid when I was Platinum Pro in 2019?)
The expiration of the PlusPoints (vs. AA stickers at the time apparently not expiring but being tied to status in order to redeem) makes it different.
It seems that top tier elites have enough of a hard time redeeming the points; I can only imagine how impossible it would be for a Gold.
If that's where I end up, I'll have to let people know how it works out. I still have no idea what they think my status will be.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
10+ years as either 1K/GS, US based, just short of 1K PQP and was doing a "mileage run" in 2 weeks, but did get the bump to 1K this weekend. In my case I figure it would be an easy push to 1K so not really surprised.
As I posted above the big thing for me was PP extension and the ETC extensions to Jan 2023.
And magically, a few hours later, here I am extended.

It does seem that this is still a work in progress, but at least my history proves my loyalty to United (and I did do a lot of UA and US flying in 2021, despite the US travel ban etc)
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
And magically, a few hours later, here I am extended.

It does seem that this is still a work in progress, but at least my history proves my loyalty to United (and I did do a lot of UA and US flying in 2021, despite the US travel ban etc)
Congrats on the extension!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I earned 1K in 2019 for 2020, which was extended to 2021. I took 1 international flight in Feb 2020 and then didn't fly again until May 2021. My May - Dec 2021 travel has been 100% leisure, but with the promotions etc, made it to Platinum (3K PQP away from 1K). I think I've been extended to 2022 in that my virtual 1K card shows 1/2023 expiration, but that's about it. No other indication of the extension whatsoever. I have 40 PP expiring 1/2023 (I assume the ones I earned getting to Platinum this year). The other points expire 07/2022.

I know some here are upset that they pushed hard to make it through the promotions to earn status, only to have others "gifted" an extension. But those who did (at least Platinums/1Ks) also received additional PPs, which I didn't get for my "freebie" extension. I personally think that UA should extra-reward customers who achieved the original status requirements organically, not customers that achieved status because of lowered requirements and gifted PQPs.

With that said, in addition to those on FT being an extremely biased sample set not representative of the "average" elite customer (I don't say that flippantly given that I am part of that biased sample set - a technical term), an even smaller minority on/off FT took flights to nowhere solely for the purpose of retaining status. I would venture that the **vast** majority of customers taking advantage of the various promotions either gave business to United instead of Delta/AA/etc for a flight you would have taken anyways or maybe were nudged to take a trip with the side benefit of attaining 2022 status. Or maybe you got to sit in first class when you would've been okay with coach to spend extra $$ towards the promotion (tiny violin ;-))

Personally, I purchased a ticket in J on AC whereas I would've been happy to fly Y, so that I could 'fly to the finish' (which I missed anyways). But I did it eyes wide open, and I enjoyed the experience flying J on a carrier that actually makes domestic J special. I am extremely grateful that UA chose to extend my status in a year where I have taken 0 business flights because we are still operating remotely.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: United Premier Plat
Looks like I’m on the same boat as some other Plats on the thread whose PP got extended to 07/22 but not their status (shows up as 01/22 end date)

I had 2 domestic rt after March 2020 & 1 domestic rt in 2021.

I sure hope the work is still in progress. Please report back if anyone’s status update! Will do the same.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10+ years as 1K, non-US flyer, flew well over 4 UA flights in 2021, about 500 short of PQP to requalify.

NOT extended.
Sorry to hear that.
Might be worthwhile to write in asking for reconsideration.

Edit: just saw that you did get it > Congrats!
exbayern and CREN like this.

Last edited by cesco.g; Dec 6, 2021 at 11:21 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.