Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequency of upgrades with 1K???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
16/26 for DEN-based 1K. Almost all with supporting PP. I wouldn't count on upgrades in the near term as a result of more people paying for F and LOTS of PP to burn. Next year might be a bit better.
I’m about 10/40 for IAD-SFO this year. Requested PP every time immediately after booking. Most of the time only 1 or 2 upgrades clear.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not much data but in 2021 I went:

12/14 EWR-RDU 73G L Fare: Upgraded at Gate
12/21 RDU-IAD 739 T Fare: Upgraded with companion at T-96
12/21 IAD-ORD 739 T Fare: No upgrade

Also I put in for some TATL PlusPoints to Polaris for January and so far one of two has cleared.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
0 out of 4 eligible revenue flights (EWR-TPA-EWR, LGA-DEN, IAH-ABQ). I just realized I did get upgraded IAH-LGA on a miles redemption.

Main issue for me has been traveling with child so I can’t take a risk on day of departure gate upgrades and split reservations. P fares in advance are usually decent, sometimes Z fares so I just go that. Use all my plus points and even took advantage of mileage upgrades TALT with reduced fees but like now the fact they give PQP so even worth considering for that.

if all goes according to plan TALT next week and PP cleared easily in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I have my CPU history in my signature. Showing CPU/RPU/GPU percentages for past years.
Last year was great at 70% like it was back in 2015. It had gradually been getting worse down to close to 50%. Now we seem to be back to normal, though I was able to upgrade several award flights.
However there are lots of factors. PHL-ORD is my most common route. I'm sure its a different story for people that always fly hub to hub are always buy full fare.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
IAH based flyer here. The first half of the year was almost 100%. The second half of the year has been about 40%. As others have mentioned, it is highly route dependent.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JNelson113
IAH based flyer here. The first half of the year was almost 100%. The second half of the year has been about 40%. As others have mentioned, it is highly route dependent.
I was at lower status levels in the first half of the year but I was 6/9 as a Premier Gold through August and then struggled as a Platinum until I made 1K in December. There was a big shift in the second half of the year regarding upgrades.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was at lower status levels in the first half of the year but I was 6/9 as a Premier Gold through August and then struggled as a Platinum until I made 1K in December. There was a big shift in the second half of the year regarding upgrades.
Too many 1Ks flying.

David
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The majority of time I'm in F without playing the CPU game but I've had decent odds (either success or finishing in the top 1-3 positions) when I have... but it's highly dependent on both route and aircraft type. For my flights tomorrow when I looked earlier today both were full in Y and 3/12 or 4/12 in F -- it will be interesting to see what the UG lists look like but I imagine more than 1Ks will be getting upgraded. (And RIC doesn't seem to attract that many GS or 1K passengers in the first place)
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jakin917
I’m about 10/40 for IAD-SFO this year. Requested PP every time immediately after booking. Most of the time only 1 or 2 upgrades clear.
I am 0 for 10 on that route with PPs applied. 25% is pretty damn good.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I just hit IK less than a month ago. I applied PP to IAH EWR in March, and it cleared already. Also I cleared SFO EWR for me and a companion on February 9. Upgrades cleared Christmas Eve. I'm pretty happy with this so far.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Too many 1Ks flying.

David
I don't think it's that because I see very few upgrades clear. It's more aggressive selling of F and more people in general traveling.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I just hit IK less than a month ago. I applied PP to IAH EWR in March, and it cleared already. Also I cleared SFO EWR for me and a companion on February 9. Upgrades cleared Christmas Eve. I'm pretty happy with this so far.
Do level set your expectations, as 1Q is generally the quarter with the fewest people traveling. Without taking into consideration specific factors such as routing, day of week and time of day travel, the period between mid-January to mid-February will probably be the easiest in upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm a 1K Based at SFO. I had 11 flights on United this year, always PZ0 so I just bought first if I wanted it. No CPUs. I was able to use some of my Plus Points on NH flights and flights for family.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
I was upgraded on every single flight I used PP on (or my husband's or son's PP on) this year, and also my companions. A few ORD-LHR and back, the few times I didn't just pay up for Polaris which was really cheap much of the past 20 months. Either way, ORD-LHR or LHR-ORD makes sense given the limited traffic most of the year. But also ORD-DEN and back, and IAH-ORD and back 3x. And ORD-IAD-AUA, and back. On really low fares and all at peak travel times. Count me lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.