Domestic upgrades seem impossible lately

Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAFAM
As long as it doesn't depart or land in IAD, it should have a good chance for upgrade these days!
Seriously, 50 passengers are waiting for an upgrade on IAD-SFO in the middle of omicron
Originally Posted by econ
That route is one of the toughest upgrades. And on the 788, forget it.
There are 29 on the list for a 320 on upcoming PHX-SFO. Considering relative size of the F cabin (12 vs. 28), that's worse than 50 on a 788 (not even counting the PE consolation prize on the 788).

What this says more than anything is how elite-heavy the SFO flights are. I counted seats and 29 on the list matches exactly the number of occupied E+ seats.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:17 pm

SFO-EWR yesterday went out with just 9/24 in Premium Plus and 10 or so empty seats in Polaris.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
As long as it doesn't depart or land in IAD, it should have a good chance for upgrade these days!
UA has two red-eye flights from SFO to IAD right now. I was on the later one, and the flight went out with tons of empty rows to form poor man's lie-flat seats. Sure beats the uncomfortable Max9 upfront.
UAFAM likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has essentially returned to pre-Covid loads and policies; in other words, it's mostly a WFBF world. No one should be surprised.

I'm at 100% on AS and probably around 75% on AA. Those numbers would be different (much lower) if I was based at SEA (AS) or DFW (AA).
Exactly. As AS MVP 75k last year we were near 100% on AS (including companions) and those were long flights that matter like SFO-BOS and SFO-CUN.

IME the UA upgrade rate - even as 1k - was abysmal for the last decade and it sounds like not much has changed. Free CPU upgrades are simply phantom perks for those of us who fly peak routes at peak times from hubs.

Sorry to hear that GS have now joined the club but OTOH that makes me happy as I won’t have a reason to sweat or regret flying competitors. I still like UA but upgrades are not part of the equation anymore.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
I just booked PDX - SFO - HNL in F for $410. SFO - HNL is lie flat. I love united with those low F prices.
That is almost worth a positioning flight LOL! cause I’m seeing $400 one-way for SFO-OGG economy. Of pricing is dependent on when you are traveling.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
…IME the UA upgrade rate - even as 1k - was abysmal for the last decade and it sounds like not much has changed. Free CPU upgrades are simply phantom perks for those of us who fly peak routes at peak times from hubs.

Sorry to hear that GS have now joined the club but OTOH that makes me happy as I won’t have a reason to sweat or regret flying competitors. I still like UA but upgrades are not part of the equation anymore.
Agreed, WFBF. The whole experience is complicated by schedule reductions, UA holding out clearing upgrades (routes may vary) in favor of lower cost FCM , and keeping the market saturated with PPs and status handouts.

Towards the end of last year, many members rightfully expressed concern about UAs decision to extend handout benefits (with an emphasis on extended US domestic members).

At the moment, I’m surprised that UA2169 SLC-IAH has a waitlist of 36 for a 739. However, I’m not surprised UA hasn’t cleared any upgrades yet and probably won’t until closer to departure.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by Starbase 1K; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:30 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
At the moment, I’m surprised that UA2169 SLC-IAH has a waitlist of 36 for a 739. However, I’m not surprised UA hasn’t cleared any upgrades yet and probably won’t until closer to departure.
That's a large number for that route in January.

UA holds back even on near empty flights,
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
I just booked PDX - SFO - HNL in F for $410. SFO - HNL is lie flat. I love united with those low F prices.
I had booked LAX-EWR on the 787-10 in Polaris for around $500. Was looking forward to it until Omicron cancelled the conference next week in NYC...
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paule123
I had booked LAX-EWR on the 787-10 in Polaris for around $500. Was looking forward to it until Omicron cancelled the conference next week in NYC...
Is there no reason to take the flight anyway?

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
UA holds back on completely empty F flights actually. Currently on a flight that's booked 0 out of 6 with just 6 on the waitlist. I'm #2 as a 1K on a lower coach fare. Will get the upgrade about T-23:30h but obviously no one is buying those seats outright and United still won't upgrade anyone.

The first flight on that ticket (xxx-EWR) upgraded overnight between the 3rd & 4th days in advance of the flight. Shocked actually as those flights almost never process advanced upgrades either.

-RM
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
UA holds back on completely empty F flights actually. Currently on a flight that's booked 0 out of 6 with just 6 on the waitlist. I'm #2 as a 1K on a lower coach fare. Will get the upgrade about T-23:30h but obviously no one is buying those seats outright and United still won't upgrade anyone.

The first flight on that ticket (xxx-EWR) upgraded overnight between the 3rd & 4th days in advance of the flight. Shocked actually as those flights almost never process advanced upgrades either.

-RM
T-23:30 would be an improvement. I had several flights last year where I was #2 on a waitlist and got the upgrade at 5 minutes before boarding. This included one time when I checked in and was #2 for 10 seats and they managed to sell all but two between check in and departure.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are 29 on the list for a 320 on upcoming PHX-SFO. Considering relative size of the F cabin (12 vs. 28), that's worse than 50 on a 788 (not even counting the PE consolation prize on the 788).

What this says more than anything is how elite-heavy the SFO flights are. I counted seats and 29 on the list matches exactly the number of occupied E+ seats.
Yup. And while not on the level of SFO and other hubs, PHX can be a difficult CPU both in and outbound IME. No wide bodies, smaller F cabins. Will get worse for Barrett-Jackson, Waste Management golf tourney, and Spring Training (if and when it happens).
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
PHX can be a difficult CPU both in and outbound IME. No wide bodies, smaller F cabins.
Agreed. I was the only one to get upgraded on IAH-PHX as a 1K on an E fare with PP's applied
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by econ
That route is one of the toughest upgrades. And on the 788, forget it. At least there's PE seats, if not already taken.
This week, UA is swapping 788s with 789-781-763 (high J) on this route, therefore I was able to clear a CPU on a lie-flat config on this route!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: Continental
As a 1K I had 2 CPU clear right at the 4 day mark last week. Ewr-Iah on a 763, and iah-phx on a 739.
both Saturday the 15th.
Nice to see something work correctly!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.