Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

PDB back! On my flight at least.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
***RANT ALERT**** No PDB DEN SLC Oct 28, despite lengthy gate delay and ample time, light load only 10 F (of 20 seats) pax, about 1/2 full Y. (FA’s waited out the delay in the galley laughing and looking at their cell phones). Returned to the gate for another 1/2 hr approx delay. After take off service, in both cabins, consisted of water in plastic Y cups from a tray. No beverage choice and no cocktail snacks offered. Again very light load, Turbulent climb out, not unusual for DEN,,with FA remaining seated for the first 10-15 minutes or so. Captain announced it was expected to be smooth for the duration and turned off the seat belt sign, which remained off for about 1/2 hr. I was a UA flight attendant from 1991-2007. This could have brought disciplinary action.

Last edited by imescaping; Oct 29, 2023 at 2:31 pm Reason: Punctuation and other typo errors
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Nov 01 UA 4400 PVD-IAD UX CRJ550 no PDB.

Door just closed 10min before sched departure. Flight attendant seems very friendly - let’s see how service is once we get airborne.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Do CRJ-550s get PDBs? They're only staffed by one FA, and in my experience, that FA is usually busy at the front informing the boarding Y pax that they can use the mid-cabin closests for their carry-ons. Then inflight, the FA serves the F cabin, and informs them that the FA will now have to go serve the Y cabin, so if F pax want anything in the meantime, they can help themselves from the pantry near the front galley.

Last edited by diburning; Nov 1, 2023 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Little bit late in reporting (blaming it on “turning Medicare )…

goalie-parents flew SFO-BWI-SFO
UA 2603 October 17th: OJ, water and some kind of bubbly offered
UA 548 October 24th: also OJ, water and some kind of bubbly offered
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Mainline PDBs (primarily Midwest and North-Central East Coast) have been very consistent offering water+TOD alternate over the past 6 months or so... Express much less consistent.

Originally Posted by diburning
Do CRJ-550s get PDBs? They're only staffed by one FA, and in my experience, that FA is usually busy at the front informing the boarding Y pax that they can use the mid-cabin closests for their carry-ons. Then inflight, the FA serves the F cabin, and informs them that the FA will now have to go serve the Y cabin, so if F pax want anything in the meantime, they can help themselves from the pantry near the front galley.
A number of 550 routes are short enough that even an ADB is not a given (though the FAs typically really hustle... impressive on an RIC-IAD that tops out at 8000' and ~25 minutes wheels up to wheels down), GoJet FAs as a group really earn their pay more consistently than many of the others. I haven't observed the 'help yourself' spiel since COVID though I have been seeing some hints it may be on its way back (e.g. far more generous snack catering)

The majority of my 550 flights the PDB takes the form of one of those little baby bottles of water UA fell in love with during COVID -- about 50/50 of it being on the seat already before boarding starts or being passed out just before the door closes. No options offered -- water, BYONAD, or nothing.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
UA397, DEN-SJC, 8:01 a.m. PDBs were water & mimosas for a 12-seat FC cabin on an A-319. It seemed odd that they were offering a mimosa rather than orange juice. I didn't ask whether I could have something different -- maybe they were just offering the crowd-pleasers on the first flight of the day?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
11/22 EWR BUF EMB 175 - water/OJ offered. Asked for prosecco, and served a totally full glass with a smile. Full service after take off with refills. Off the charts crew.

11/24 BUF EWR EMB 175 - no PDB. Inbound early, boarding early, no reason at all. In flight was told that this flight didn't even qualify for a beverage service, but it was offered. Since when is that a thing? Again, inconsistency at it's finest. Landed and was told gate woudlnt' be ready for 25 minutes. Passenber in 1C asked of a drink, and was told it wasn't permitted.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Water or bubbles on FRA-IAH the other day. We both had one of each.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The majority of my 550 flights the PDB takes the form of one of those little baby bottles of water UA fell in love with during COVID -- about 50/50 of it being on the seat already before boarding starts or being passed out just before the door closes. No options offered -- water, BYONAD, or nothing.
I really wish they would get rid of this, and mainline PDBs came in glassware like it used to. Not because of looks or anything, but I think about the sheer volume of plastic the network churns through on a daily basis and it must be a staggering amount of trash.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
I think about the sheer volume of plastic the network churns through on a daily basis and it must be a staggering amount of trash.
Some airlines have switched to cardboard water bottles.
SPN Lifer and bob_the_d like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post # 664)
Mainline PDBs (primarily Midwest and North-Central East Coast) have been very consistent offering water+TOD alternate over the past 6 months or so... Express much less consistent. . . .

The majority of my 550 flights the PDB takes the form of one of those little baby bottles of water UA fell in love with during COVID -- about 50/50 of it being on the seat already before boarding starts or being passed out just before the door closes. No options offered -- water, BYONAD, or nothing. [Emphasis added.]
lincolnjkc

TOD = time of departure
BYONAD = bring your own . . . ?

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 1, 2023 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Couldn't believe my ears but was offered PDB of choice last night on YUL-IAD on the E170, 1830 departure operated by Republic!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Couldn't believe my ears but was offered PDB of choice last night on YUL-IAD on the E170, 1830 departure operated by Republic!
On the overwhelming majority of UA & UX flights where I have not been proactively offered to-order PDB of choice, I have received my to-order choice upon request. My approach is as follows: "I know it's super busy before we take off, but if there's time, I would really appreciate a bloody mary. If there's no time, I'm happy to wait until we're in the air." IME, FAs--like everyone in a service industry--respond positively to empathy & being treated like fellow human beings.
SPN Lifer and hurnik like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Dec 01 IAD-LAX UA 2276 on a 787 that boarded from door 2L (so no congestion in the front cabin). Boarding began 50mins prior to departure. PDB of water or sparkling wine passed on a tray at 15min prior to departure. I politely requested a quick Buffalo Trace on ice and was told "those carts aren't open yet and there isn't enough time."

Good service in the air, including proactive doubles.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
No PDB for DEN-ORD

Because the late start of boarding, there was no PDB offered. The lunch was good. Service was excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.