Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inappropriate? Y FA ORD-CDG Wakes Me When She Covers Me with Blanket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inappropriate? Y FA ORD-CDG Wakes Me When She Covers Me with Blanket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:54 am

jhayes_1780 playing devil's advocate for OP here, you analogy is imperfect. The blanket scenario would be akin to somebody buying you a drink and then pouring it down your mouth without asking you if you wanted it. Sure, you can spit out the drink, but you're still "bothered" by their kind gesture.

All of this is just having a bit of fun. Of course I think the FA's gesture was well-intentioned and essentially harmless. Being woken up on a flight isn't exactly a tragedy.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Unless the FA was trying to tuck you in… now that’d be some sexual misconduct.
Huh?!??
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I'll confess, I don't think your a jerk. IMhO that is a bit harsh.

But as mentioned above... this was a very nice gesture (again, provided the FA didn't tuck, grope, breathe heavily, pour water, slap, etc.).

Essentially you just complained about someone buying you a drink in a bar. Sure you didn't request it, you don't have to drink it.
I concur with all of the above. I don't think it makes OP a jerk, but I do think that the lede is a bit too far. Asking "Inappropriate?" has a connotation to it that is much darker than likely intended. I suspect it was just a not-great choice of wording. At least I hope that's the case.

I certainly side with the FA (and would be happy to have someone do the same for me in a similar situation) but don't think ill of the OP either! Having sleep suddenly disturbed can perturb even the most superb.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:41 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I concur with all of the above. I don't think it makes OP a jerk, but I do think that the lede is a bit too far. Asking "Inappropriate?" has a connotation to it that is much darker than likely intended. I suspect it was just a not-great choice of wording. At least I hope that's the case.

I certainly side with the FA (and would be happy to have someone do the same for me in a similar situation) but don't think ill of the OP either! Having sleep suddenly disturbed can perturb even the most superb.
Actually lying across 3 seats is a breach of FAA regulations as the seat belts do not offer the required restraint facilities.in Times of Turbulation . Of course airlines only recommend this until Bad Weather etc. So OP should be thankful l he was not made to sit up and only occupy the seat he had paid for...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2021 at 11:52 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by shdflyer
I had short sleeves while using a long sleeve short over part of me as a layer, (I sleep “cold”). I woke when I felt a sandpaper-like feeling on my arm when she reached over me and put the blanket on.
Im
sand paper like….really ??
FLYMSY and Grog like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
UA FA"s now put blankets on you and tuck you in? What a change from dragging you down the aisle by your ear.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by phkc070408
2. People react differently when being woken, some of them in an alarmed state.
I remember from my Navy days how crazily different people react when being awakened to go on watch. I remember one guy who would invariably take a swing at anybody who touched him in his sleep, so we used to take a mop and flop it down on his chest to wake him. Another guy was so disoriented upon being awakened that he would immediately jump up and start heading to his duty station barefoot and in his skivvies.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:15 am

If that was the only thing that went “wrong” on the OP’s flight, ……

Posting about a kind gesture by a FA and calling it “inappropriate”. SHEESH!

”Sandpaper-like feeling”?!? Double SHEESH!

I’m truly at a loss for words and find myself incapable of trying to help the OP “get it”.

I’d like to compliment and thank the FA involved for being so considerate and thoughtful towards the passengers.
Grog and porciuscato like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
This caring, attentive action on UA certainly beats getting knocked awake by a cart on DL, and said flight attendant continuing down the aisle without an apology or acknowledgement . OP seriously needs mental health assistance !
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Great. You encountered one of the 1000 or so decent flight attendants employed by United and managed to chasten the behavior that made her great at her job.

Now I'm thinking: the other 20,000 were probably like her until they encountered someone like you.
mathprof and at37000ft like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’ve been actually fully tucked in by a UA FA in Polaris before. Like covering me with the duvet and physically tucking it in. That is survey worthy (GTEM actually).

As someone else said, thank the FA and after she walks away, put aside the blanket. Why confront the FA for caring?
porciuscato and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This definitely wasn’t rising to a level of inappropriate. He/She was just trying to be nice.
Grog and porciuscato like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If I was asleep and someone would wake me up, I'd be unhappy as well. Hey, who would be happy about this? So that I think everyone agrees with, no?

Now there is a difference whether someone wakes you with loud music or trying to be nice. From a customer perspective this was a failure, no question. But it was not inappropriate.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Only on Flyertalk can we go 45 posts debating a blanket.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Only on Flyertalk can we go 45 posts debating a blanket.
But is it black or gold?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.