Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA email says my acct was locked because of incorrect answers to security questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA email says my acct was locked because of incorrect answers to security questions?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

---

duplicate post

Last edited by HibernateNow; Nov 24, 2021 at 6:37 am
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:24 pm

This is weird indeed. I would change the password immediately after contacting the MPSC. Assuming that the email is legit, it would imply that a person was able to guess your password correctly in order to advance to your security questions.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
This is weird indeed. I would change the password immediately after contacting the MPSC. Assuming that the email is legit, it would imply that a person was able to guess your password correctly in order to advance to your security questions.
that's what i was thinking... if the person didn't type in my UA acct# and password correctly, how did he get to the screen where UA asked security questions? good thing all of my security question answers are totally not based on facts.(for example, the answer to my favorite movie is actually the type of movie that I hate the most)

I'm not even going to attempt to do anything until I speak with a live UA rep tomorrow....

my password is very long... something like this.. CF#wjkM9wqS2&D2(not my actual password, of course)... it's not saved on my computer... the only place I keep it is in an actual paper notebook, written in pen.(and yes, the notebook is safely in my desk right now)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Someone may have been trying to reset your password, without knowing the actual, and was stopped by the security questions.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Someone may have been trying to reset your password, without knowing the actual, and was stopped by the security questions.
Ooh. Good point. You only need MP# + First + Last to get to the questions in the password reset flow.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Starbase 1K
Ooh. Good point. You only need MP# + First + Last to get to the questions in the password reset flow.
This is exactly why I shred any piece of paper with my name and MP account number on it once I return from a trip.
higher_flyer and Starbase 1K like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
The simplest answer is that
you used up your attempts to log-in when you first hit the snag

The security answers depend on your memory, especially when you make up the answers. Also I always seem to screw up the difference between Paternal grandmother and maternal grandmother while answering security questions. I can't get into my old Facebook to retrieve likely years of spam simply because I can't remember my birthdate. in order to reset my password
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
do you use this same password for anything else? Since most people use the same password across platforms, hackers can take advantage by breaching a less secure website then utilizing that password to login to more secure websites like bank and travel accounts.

Originally Posted by HibernateNow
that's what i was thinking... if the person didn't type in my UA acct# and password correctly, how did he get to the screen where UA asked security questions? good thing all of my security question answers are totally not based on facts.(for example, the answer to my favorite movie is actually the type of movie that I hate the most)

I'm not even going to attempt to do anything until I speak with a live UA rep tomorrow....

my password is very long... something like this.. CF#wjkM9wqS2&D2(not my actual password, of course)... it's not saved on my computer... the only place I keep it is in an actual paper notebook, written in pen.(and yes, the notebook is safely in my desk right now)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:25 am

Similar thing happened to me with a Wal-Mart account earlier this year. I forgot I had the account and stored payment info (was trying to get an Xbox at release), and randomly got an email that someone ordered $300 worth of groceries for pickup. Amex was fantastic and reversed the charge immediately, a US airline would likely not be as accommodating lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.