Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Family member delayed a day due to wrong (not PCR) covid test for South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

We(live near IAH)are flying to JNB tommorow. Meeting up with my sister and husband(who live in DSM) at EWR
All four of us got negative covid tests that we uploaded to United without an issue. However my cousin who lives in Sacramento had his negative test rejected by United. supposedly in CA there is some new more sophisticated test that United did not like. He called them but got nowhere. Anyone heard of anything like this
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by leiserom
We(live near IAH)are flying to JNB tommorow. Meeting up with my sister and husband(who live in DSM) at EWR
All four of us got negative covid tests that we uploaded to United without an issue. However my cousin who lives in Sacramento had his negative test rejected by United. supposedly in CA there is some new more sophisticated test that United did not like. He called them but got nowhere. Anyone heard of anything like this
Probably need a backup PCR test from some place near SMH, stat. Will have to spend.

David

Last edited by DELee; Nov 17, 2021 at 8:19 pm
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Is it an RT-LAMP test (this is Color in SF's method)? It is not more sophisticated than PCR.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Thanks. Now he had to delay his flight by a day causing my nephew to have to drive to Tambo airport from Pretoria and miss a family dinner. My sister who lives in Des Moines had no issue. In Houston there was no issue(there is a place 5 minutes from home that does on drive thru basis). If you want to pay 100 dollars you can get one in an hour. The whole thing is messy.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone heard of anything like this
Following up, there are a number of threads and posts in this forum detailing the need to plan for and have backup tests to take flights whether UA or other airlines.

At least the test wasn't positive.

David
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Thanks. Now he had to delay his flight by a day causing my nephew to have to drive to Tambo airport from Pretoria and miss a family dinner. My sister who lives in Des Moines had no issue. In Houston there was no issue(there is a place 5 minutes from home that does on drive thru basis). If you want to pay 100 dollars you can get one in an hour. The whole thing is messy.
I'm not sure what test he got, but if wants the correct test he should speak to 10 acres pharmacy on Freeport (Land Park) in Sac. Probably print out and bring the exact test requirements. They can do basically all the tests in <2hrs.
I'm going to guess he got a quick test, and apparently SA needs a PCR. I believe an RT-PCR, which the above does in an hour, will work, but verify.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, here's UA's latest guidance for South Africa (South Africa):

South Africa: Travel restrictions

Travelers entering or transiting through South Africa must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test result issued at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point. This doesn’t apply to travelers younger than 5 years of age.

This also doesn’t apply to travelers who have recovered from COVID-19 – they must have the original positive COVID-19 test result and a letter issued by a medical practitioner showing they are fit to fly and have completed a 10-day isolation period.

Travelers must complete a "Traveler Health Questionnaire" upon arrival and are subject to medical screening.

Updated November 16, 2021
David
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Can you provide the name of the test he actually did?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Can you provide the name of the test he actually did?
Get the words from horse’s mouth (OP’s cousin), instead of ask the FT community to make the best guess.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:19 pm

I would be interested to hear if it was City Health at SMF...I've done their tests for travel to the UK and Canada and both were fine.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I would be interested to hear if it was City Health at SMF...I've done their tests for travel to the UK and Canada and both were fine.
Canada requires any molecular test. The UK accepts antigen tests.

South Africa, apparently, requires PCR.

I've done... one? PCR test. I've entered Canada a dozen times with various other types of NAAT tests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.