Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A Punch and A Light: Incidents on UA 1940, 11/17, EWR-MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Punch and A Light: Incidents on UA 1940, 11/17, EWR-MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ezefllying
An addendum:

Shortly after I disembarked (in Miami), the captain stepped off the jet bridge and walked over to the gate agent.

"We learned an important lesson today," the captain told him. "When you punch a passenger, don't punch an NFL player. He'll punch back."

Explains why 1E was so quick on his feet.
oh I love the "punch" line!
SPN Lifer, DELee and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
An addendum:

Shortly after I disembarked (in Miami), the captain stepped off the jet bridge and walked over to the gate agent.

"We learned an important lesson today," the captain told him. "When you punch a passenger, don't punch an NFL player. He'll punch back."

Explains why 1E was so quick on his feet.
I once had a flight where a fellow passenger learned it was not a good idea to punch a federal air marshal.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:06 am

My mom, sister, and myself took a flight from EWR to MIA back in 2019, on a full UA 757-200, and it was all just fine.. it happens sometimes a random flight is subject to some 'fun', it just happens, nothing out of the ordinary
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by threecap
You're not wrong to blame Miami and you wouldn't be wrong to blame NJ either. 100% of the passenger removals I've personally seen have been between Newark and some Florida airport, and judging by the accents alone, the passenger mix is around 50/50 from FL or NY/NJ.
How can you tell the difference? More than 50% of Florida is made up of NY/NJ transplants.

-RM
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:00 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
– Am I wrong to blame Miami?
As a resident of Miami, no, you're not.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Love this story. Very well told, ezefllying!
Indeed….quite a gripping literary style.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
My daughter-in-law is an F/A. She hates working NYC-Florida trips, any of them. And she’s from Florida!
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ss278
My daughter-in-law is an F/A. She hates working NYC-Florida trips, any of them. And she’s from Florida!
Now I'm trying to figure out what the anti-(NYC-FL) flight might be. The one where the passengers are most likely to take a seat, not make a scene, and follow the rules.

My initial thought was something like Aspen to SFO or DCA to ACK. But then I realized I was just being classist, which is especially dumb because flights to "exclusive" destinations are often filled with (a) overly demanding jerks who think they're flying private and (b) wannabe "influencers" (let us never normalize that term) who are going to an event/show/rich acquaintance's house and have no idea how air travel works. There's a reason EWR-SNA is apparently one of the most dreaded routes in UA's system among FAs.

So what's the most, well, well-mannered route? EWR-BTV? DCA-HHH? EUG-SFO? ORD-ATW?

Or is it Minneapolis to somewhere else in Minnesota?

(I'm excluding BDL-YUL and, say, HND-KIX, since I'm focused on domestic.)
writerguyfl, wrp96 and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Now I'm trying to figure out what the anti-(NYC-FL) flight might be. The one where the passengers are most likely to take a seat, not make a scene, and follow the rules.

My initial thought was something like Aspen to SFO or DCA to ACK. But then I realized I was just being classist, which is especially dumb because flights to "exclusive" destinations are often filled with (a) overly demanding jerks who think they're flying private and (b) wannabe "influencers" (let us never normalize that term) who are going to an event/show/rich acquaintance's house and have no idea how air travel works. There's a reason EWR-SNA is apparently one of the most dreaded routes in UA's system among FAs.

So what's the most, well, well-mannered route? EWR-BTV? DCA-HHH? EUG-SFO? ORD-ATW?

What's so bad about EWR-SNA? Is it because it's served using a 73G which stinks to fly on for a transcon? Or the weird takeoff performance at the airport itself? As an airport, SNA is really quite convenient. Living in the South Bay and having my office be in Orange County, most people are pretty down to Earth and chill, believe it or not. For the most part, most courteous than people living in Metro LA these days.
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
but the failure to hire an Office Linebacker to keep passengers seated and compliant isn't one of them.
Now this, this is a great idea. I'd be more than thrilled to fly with Terry Tate!

If for nothing else than to get my PDB coffee... "He wants some Joe, make some mo'!! You know that baby!"
pseudoswede and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Now this, this is a great idea. I'd be more than thrilled to fly with Terry Tate!

If for nothing else than to get my PDB coffee... "He wants some Joe, make some mo'!! You know that baby!"
They're all good, but Triple T tackling the bell hop through the baggage cart has to be my favorite one.

(at 1:15)
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Saab_Redondo_1987
What's so bad about EWR-SNA? Is it because it's served using a 73G which stinks to fly on for a transcon? Or the weird takeoff performance at the airport itself? As an airport, SNA is really quite convenient. Living in the South Bay and having my office be in Orange County, most people are pretty down to Earth and chill, believe it or not. For the most part, most courteous than people living in Metro LA these days.
It has to do with the passengers, not the aircraft or with SNA. My understanding is that the people who fly F on that route are, at least according to FAs I've discussed it with, disproportionately difficult — I think Lucille Bluth-like. I don't think this is a reflection of Orange County writ large (just like the people in AA F on LAX-JFK aren't a reflection of the average New Yorker/Angeleno, or even the average wealthy New Yorker/Angeleno). And I'm sure most F passengers are fine. But it only takes a small fraction to give a route its reputation.
writerguyfl and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Love having SNA as my home airport!

2021 Airports: ATL, CDG, DEN, FRA, GRU, HAM, IAH, LAX, LIH, MSP, MUC, ORD, SEA, SFO, SJD, SNA
PilgrimsProgress likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold

We’re pretty nice in Iowa. ^
Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
The answer is: Florida

It’s always Florida.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.