Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First time in Polaris (and business class in general) - tips?

First time in Polaris (and business class in general) - tips?

Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You basically arent supposed to take the bedding, but PJs (if flight is long enough), slippers, amenity kit are OK. If you want anything else, I guess you can "steal" it. As for more food, it never hurts to ask, some people as for the Y entree in addition to what they get. If you eat in the PL lounge first, and then the food onboard, you'll be very full. Yes to duvets. Some lock the window shade, but you can ask them to unlock. There is usually a snack basket you can ask for if they dont bring it around. Checked bag is random since it is dependent on the ground crew. I like the bulkhead for the footwell and more horizontal surfaces. I've never had an issue with noise, I guess it depends.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Just got back from TLV, but originating at ORD. My summary;

Seat 1A is highly dependent on your tolerance for noise and light, my preference is mid-cabin.
Food was nothing special on the flight and included a still frozen bread bun in a factory wrapper, so I would echo the other posters advice - get a better meal at the lounge (if they still offer the full meal) and watch a movie before you go to sleep.
Seat pads seem to be hit or miss - had them on the flight to TLV, didn't on the flight back (I don't have a large enough Polaris sample for the year to draw any conclusions from 2 segments). Had duvets and gel pillows on both.
Amenity kits post-Covid are not as nice as pre-Covid. There's really nothing worth keeping as opposed to using on the flight and maybe keeping an item or two you might need.
Snacks were placed on the top of Row 1 middle seats - chips, cookies, no more fancy chocolates
If you board early, you can get through almost 1/2 a movie before take-off.....

And just as importantly,
The weather in TLV was wonderful and is still expected to be in the high 60's low 70's so enjoy a few long walks along the beachfront
Gelato at Golda's is as good as everyone says it is
If you like Thai food with a modern twist, go to Kab Kem on Lincoln Street
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I guess you can "steal" it.
Please do not steal the bedding - as it is actually stealing - and can lead to consequences if caught.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Please do not steal the bedding - as it is actually stealing - and can lead to consequences if caught.
I don't intend to steal anything, ever
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Be sure to use the call button if you need anything. Flight attendants are very helpful and would like to a chance to be sure you are comfortable.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
On Saturday NRT-EWR the FAs came around with PJs before I could even ask.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Mattess pad

Originally Posted by trm2
On Saturday NRT-EWR the FAs came around with PJs before I could even ask.
If you need a mattress pad or two, check the luggage bins around (I found some over seat 4D) if you do not want to ask.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
The lounge is the main reason I choose Polaris over other products. Go early and enjoy!

I don’t know that you will get Pj’s but make sure to ask for a gel pillow if there isn’t one at your seat. They are wonderful.

Open one amenity kit, perhaps on the flight out. You can keep the return one for a souvenir. Even if you don’t like the products they make nice small satchels for other uses.

As this is your first Polaris flight you may not value sleep but if you do know there is a Do Not Disturb light that you can activate should you choose to skip a meal.

GO TO THE LOUNGE EARLY!
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
If you need to eat a lot, stuff yourself at the lounge to the point you can't take another bite. Then onboard hold off the meal service until mid-flight when you are hungry again. I never had problem asking the crew to hold off my meal until later on TRANSPAC flights in J.
PJ is only for flights scheduled for longer than 12 hours. EWR-TLV is only 10.5 hours - PJ should not be available.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
If you need to eat a lot, stuff yourself at the lounge to the point you can't take another bite. Then onboard hold off the meal service until mid-flight when you are hungry again. I never had problem asking the crew to hold off my meal until later on TRANSPAC flights in J.
In the before-times, I would eat in the lounge, then ask the crew to serve my dinner as usual but save my main course and give it to me later instead of my second meal. Then I can actually enjoy the salad, ice cream, cheese from the first meal, and for the second meal I get something nice instead of the crappy eggs-or-whatever that they call breakfast. Usually I needed to explain the idea a few times, but on the plus side I'm guessing it disrupts their schedule less than e.g. trying to rebuild the ice cream cart for me later in the flight.

The lesson for the OP is that a lot of things can be flexible if you ask nicely. But also, you might want to experience the first flight as they intend it, and then you can think about whether to personalize or modify later flights.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Soon I will fly in business class for the first time in my life, and it's gonna be in Polaris, in international flight from EWR to TLV.
I flew Polaris J for the first time last month, PHX-ORD-BUD. You are going to really like it. Full lie flat capsule seating, so that you can get some real sleep on the long haul. Great service, too. When was the lat time you could say that about United?

My return was on the Lufthansa codeshare. Good service there too, but strictly conventional J seating. The Polaris product is far superior.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by alangore
I flew Polaris J for the first time last month, PHX-ORD-BUD. You are going to really like it. Full lie flat capsule seating, so that you can get some real sleep on the long haul. Great service, too. When was the lat time you could say that about United?

My return was on the Lufthansa codeshare. Good service there too, but strictly conventional J seating. The Polaris product is far superior.
ORD-BUD?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Awaiting me on my seat to/from EWR-JNB few weeks ago: duvet, gel pillow, larger pillow, and amenity kit. Slippers were already on the 1A footwell (I liked the seat) and they came around w/ PJ's during the boarding process. I'll try and post a pic but I've never done so on this site.

1A EWR-JNB
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Free-flowing alcohol on long-hauls is a cruel mistress. Enjoy up to the point where you’re feeling great about life and can gently drift off to sleep, not to the point where you wake up hung over with five hours left in the air.
Five hours left? Time to get drunk again.

I have done so many JFK HKG flights where I was lit before I got to my seat, napped till meal an hour in, got stupendously pissed, fell asleep for 7 hours and repeated. Thank god for the Airport Express on arrival in HK.
seanp7 and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the tips! Seems the most important thing to do is to visit the Polaris lounge as early as possible haha
Also, is it allowed to take some chips/cookies with me to the plane from the lounge?

More tips are super welcome, thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.